Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Washingmachinetrackworld – condemnations
  • rocketman
    Free Member

I’m advised by mrs rocket that we need a new washing machine – nothing spectacular, average family of four, will be used once a day – and since nearly everyone I’ve asked has their own personal recommendations when it comes to white goods I would like to hear your domestic appliance horror stories, just for balance you understand

Cheers folks

ninfan
    Free Member

Fifteen years ago i bought a Bosch washer dryer – for a nominal fee we extended the parts warranty to five years

It coped with two babies (so at least one wash a day) then needed a new motherboard, which was covered by warranty but labour cost us about fifty quid – however after that has gone on to still be working and in regular use without a problem ever since.

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm thanks Bosch do seem to have a good reputation

winston_dog
    Free Member

ninfan – that is the dullest white goods horror story I have ever heard.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

to balance it out, our Bosch was rubbish! beyond economical repair killed it in the end. apparently Bosch have acquired several “cheap” brands to manufacture their lower end machines, hence lower end quality. much the same as Miele washers, trading on 20 years ago reputation.

We were advised by the repairers that most machines these days are not designed to last more than 5 years so buy cheap and replace when ruined….

ninfan
    Free Member

I can quite believe that the newer ones are not up to the same standard

Saying that, it cost a bloody packet, and for the same money I could have bought two indesits

IMO I think you’re as just well buying cheaper and self insuring with the money you save on a cheaper machine, treat it as a disposable item, for all the things ecologically wrong with that attitude. 🙁

stu1972
    Free Member

No horror stories, Mrs has a Miele however I could have easily done this to all the Hoover ones we had previously

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vROdVsU_K80&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

franksinatra

The bearings are on their way out in our Hotpoint. It is around 5 years old and has been hammered during that time (3 young children).

Appliance repair dude advised me that Hotpoint often do sealed drums now so bearings cannot be replaces. Will need new drum unit which would be cost more than buying a cheaper new machine. It does seem that more white goods are moving towards being ‘single use’ without option of economical repair.

johndoh
    Free Member

We were advised by the repairers that most machines these days are not designed to last more than 5 years so buy cheap and replace when ruined….

We were told that the last time someone came out to repair our integrated washer dryer – said it was one of the last really ‘repairable’ machines (2001 Zanussi).

So when we moved out last summer (and left the machine behind) we bought a cheap Beko freestanding washing machine and even cheaper no name dryer. Total cost was about a third of what the Zanussi cost us 12 years earlier so I can live with replacing them as and when needed…

Ohh, and the washing is far superior and the dryer actually means we can dry more than two socks at a time…

rocketman
    Free Member

to balance it out, our Bosch was rubbish!

🙂

Appliance repair dude advised me that Hotpoint often do sealed drums now so bearings cannot be replaces.

Your appliance repair dude is the same as ours

Bimbler
    Free Member

Our nearly 10 year old Bosch washing machine is dying so we popped down to our local Euronics and got a bit of a lecture about them.

Apparently they are all much worse than they used to be, and very much cheaper built, don’t expect your next Bosch washing machine to last as long as your current one has, unless you spend big on a Miele in which case they’ll last 10+years.

Recommended brands were Bosch, AEG and Miele. Mid end Bosch easier to repair than hi-end Bosch. Don’t buy lowest end Bosch as they don’t have a single Bosch part in them and are built ultra cheaply in Spain. He swerved us away from Hotpoint based on lifespan/warranty, seemed a bit prejudiced against Siemens but admitted 5 year warranty was good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Washingmachinetrackworld – condemnations’ is closed to new replies.