• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • washingmachinetrackworld??
  • rp16v
    Free Member

Right my washing machine has gone and died today aprox 10 year(maby older)bosh unit the in-laws have given £250 to help us out now the big question do I get something new? If so any recommendation’s for that price bracket
    or get the old bosh fixed and see what’s left it it think it may be the pump playing up and I no it needs a new door seal.
    Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

We had an untraceable fault with a superb old AEG – about 15yrs old.
    I spent £100 trying to fix it, but no joy. I have the new control board that didnt fix it here on my desk, I need to sell it on eBay to recover some of the cost.

In the end I got hold of a 1yr old s/h bosch from a friend (forumite) and it’s brilliant.

Id always resigned myself to new washing machines being a bit crap, but this basic bosch Maxx 6 is simple, silent, efficient and no bother at all.

Arm yourself with a van or a big estate car and hit ebay I reckon.

eskay

At 10 years old I would probably go for a new one. The next failure could be a bearing or something equally fatal.

cannot advise on best replacement though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jb72
    Free Member

Bosch start at £229 on ao.com

eruptron
    Free Member

We had a 10 year old AEG which was ace until the bearings went. We now have a new AEG which is so quiet that all you hear is the water and cloths sloashing around so would recommend an AEG. Think ours was in the 500 quid bracket but got it under the insurance when the old one packed in.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Miele. Sorry.

garlando

Just bought a Samsung off currys 369. Plays a jolly tune when it’s finished, keep expecting it to offer me toast.

GJP
    Free Member

At 10 years I would scrap it and buy new. Not something I have bought too often ! I went for a Siemens, priced above Bosch/neff etc but a lot cheaper than Miele.

rob2
    Free Member

+1 Miele. Had ours ten years. Used daily. Even dropped off the removal van last year.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a Samsung which is rather nice, it has blinky lights and plays a tune when it finishes a wash cycle.

BadlyWiredDog

At 10 years old I would probably go for a new one. The next failure could be a bearing or something equally fatal.

I’ve repaired a washing machine with a broken drum in the past myself, swapped out the drum assembly complete with bearing. It’s not exactly rocket science if I can manage it. It wasn’t economical to pay someone else to fix it, but it was eminently do-able and took a bit of googling, some online parts shopping and a couple of hours of my time. If you’re practical, I’d consider that as an option.

The other thing I gleaned at the time is that given that washing machines tend towards modular production, it makes more sense to buy an entry level machine from a top brand than a complicated, top-end one from a run-of-the-mill manufacturer which just has more complex electronics, but the same bearings, motor etc.

I know our capitalist system is all about buying things, but our readiness to simply throw things away depresses me and isn’t what you’d call sustainable. YMMV etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Get a graded new one – we saved a load on a very good Bosch recently just because it had a couple of scratches on the side where we’ll never see them anyway. There are a few places doing graded if you search around a bit.

br
    Free Member

We had a 10 year old AEG which was ace until the bearings went. We now have a new AEG which is so quiet that all you hear is the water and cloths sloashing around so would recommend an AEG. Think ours was in the 500 quid bracket but got it under the insurance when the old one packed in.

How does insurance pay for a broken washing machine?

And for the OP, just buy the largest drum washing machine with a name you’ve heard of.

TiRed

One up from the cheapest Miele. It will be double your budget but last twice as long. They really are excellent, just don’t go for lots of bells and whistles.

Ours has been used daily for 15 years and still runs perfectly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘washingmachinetrackworld??’ is closed to new replies.