Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)
  • Washing up by hand , really that difficult? 🤔
  • cookeaa

The only real battle I have WRT our dishwasher is that the sink is now just the place my wife and MIL dump things to “soak” in a few inches of bacteria ridden water knowing that I will fish it out and put it in the dishwasher for them.

5 of us in the house, no way I’d be without a dishwasher now TBH.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

There’s 2 things I’d call hand washing up. Neither are “difficult”.
    1 boring
    2 irritating
    1 is obvious, and if you don’t find it boring, then you’re just weird.
    2 Stacking it on the drainer..never enough room, thing fall back in the sink, don’t stack properly, just a waste of time.
    Dishwasher has racks designed for the stacking, shove it all in. Go do something more interesting.
    I live alone and can’t imagine wasting any unnecessary me time with my hands in the sink like my mum in the 70s

mashr

didnthurt

With two kids we can have the dishwasher on three times a day at the weekend. Normally just the once a day in the week

how many meals a day are you having??

stevious

We’re in temporary digs without a dishwasher and it’s not as good as having a dishwasher. Didn’t use one for years but now we have kids it just frees up a bit of extra time to sit and watch hey duggee.

qwerty
    Free Member

[stw] our butler informs the maids that it needs doing [/stw]

the-muffin-man

2 Stacking it on the drainer..never enough room, thing fall back in the sink, don’t stack properly, just a waste of time.

You need a better system – there’s a skill in stacking. My pile of washed pots is a work of art! 🤣🤣

jamesoz

I’m contemplating moving the washing machine into the bog, so we have space for a dishwasher.
    I get eczema, so the detergent aggravates that. My hands don’t fit in most marigolds and even then my hands still itch with the marigolds.
    We generate a daft amount of washing up. OH thinks nothing of grating cheese into a bowl then putting the cheese on the food. Rather than just grating the cheese directly.
    The other trick is chopping up chicken, then using a fresh board and knife to do the salad. Whereas if you do it the other way round, you don’t need a separate board/knife.

molgrips

I hate to think how nasty the chemicals must be

Yeah it’s just a simple caustic chemical that dissolves grease. It’s possible because you don’t put your hands in it.

We’ve been putting ours on overnight to take advantage of cheap electricity. But this means not waiting til it’s completely full of plates, so that means filling it with whatever needs a clean like grillpans and chopping boards that take up too much space in an otherwise full dishwasher. Consequently they all come out super clean which is lovely.

jamesco

Wow, very definitely two camps here. A few of the comments prompted me to check ours out, it’s so quiet that a light shines onto the kitchen floor to show that it’s on and a beeper sounds to tell you that it’s finished, ( that’s the noise argument sorted). The spec sheet says that it uses 9.5 litres of water per wash in economy mode, we have a large family , it holds 14 place settings when full and I can’t wash those in a bowl in 15 minutes or with only a couple of gallons of cold water and one tab of detergent no matter how I try. Drying our after dinner debris with tea towels would create an even bigger problem and bottleneck at the washer/dryer so that’s another benefit. The energy rating doesn’t look good however at ‘E’ , if I’ve read that right. Even so , all in all at our house it’s a yes for the convenience, labour saving and environmental economy. Yay !

timber

Just the pots and pans get handwashed here as it means the dishwasher will take 2 days worth of the small fiddly stuff that I really can’t be bothered to wash and dry.

My wife thought it was frivolous at first so had to test my theory with one off Freecycle. It wasn’t dead for long before I was told to get another.

FiL took one out of his new house as he seems against any technology his mother didn’t have growing up with the exception of gas fires which are run so economically that you would have to lick it to know if it was on.

didnthurt

@mashr

Three meals all home cooked. Do want a menu? 😜

Ah go on then….

For breakfast we may have Porridge to start with followed by poached eggs on toast with fruit and yogurt to finish.

Lunch could be soup with a toasted cheese and pastrami croissant.

For our evening meal how about spicy Mexican chicken tortilla wraps with a mixed salad. Apple and rhubarb crumble with ice cream for dessert.

I’m starting to feel hungry again now 😅

tjagain

why have a dishwasher and hand wash pans?   thats just weird

dc1988

A dishwasher is the greatest thing I’ve ever purchased, I hate washing up with a passion so even avoid going on holiday somewhere without a dishwasher. I also dislike that you can almost certainly tell when someone doesn’t own/use a dishwasher as their crockery is dirty.

the-muffin-man

I also dislike that you can almost certainly tell when someone doesn’t own/use a dishwasher as their crockery is dirty

Twaddle!

Aidy
    Free Member

Is it that difficult? No – but neither’s arithmetic, and I still use a calculator.

stwhannah

Without a dishwasher I would quickly slip into a world if unhappiness. Once I thought it has broken and I actually cried. Luckily the outflow had just frozen up.

It is more than I can handle to go to work and cook and wash dishes. I would live off toast if I didn’t have a dishwasher. It is rumoured that I am getting remarried just to deal with the things that don’t go in the dishwasher.

tjagain

themuffinman – there is no doubt at all that my pots and pans are much cleaner than they were.  Crockery not so obvious

timber

@tjagain decent non stick fry pan and mostly steamed veg means the pan washing isn’t that bad and I’m pretty good at putting sauce pans to soak. Quick wash down and good to go again.

3 of us and a slimline dishwasher means this method just works for us as we get 2 days worth of eating in the machine. If circumstances were different I’d probably do something different.

kimbers

Family of six, so dishwasher runs overnight

Every night

the-muffin-man

Even when we had one pots and pans never went in the dishwasher. Take up too much space.

And ours had nice wooden handles! 😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

Loathe washing up. Hateful job. Why I’ve never bought a dishwasher I’ll never understand. I seem to be perennially procrastinating doing the sodding pots.

I love my life but washing up and paying council tax should be banned.

jp-t853

If I had room I would have two dishwashers and create a routine where I took clean dishes out of one while I fill the other and rotate on a daily basis. I wouldn’t need cupboards.

molgrips

why have a dishwasher and hand wash pans?

Because two pans take up the space of about 20 plates, or several dishes with baked on grease and crud. Hand washing saucepans that have only boiled veg, say, is trivial and much easier than washing the aforementioned stack of plates or oven dishes.

Usually the pans are in the dishwasher, but there’s a calculation to be made when there’s not room for everything.

Caher

Moved into a house with a Boshe dishwasher and didn’t use it for few months as I never saw the need for one. But now I’m a fundamental evangelical dishwasher addict. Eat, put dishes it in a box come back and it’s clean. Magic.

jamiemcf

Apparently dishwashers are more environmentally friendly after a certain number of dishes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zkzq?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Northwind

It’s not that washing up by hand’s hard, it’s that every time I finish, some bastard dirties up more dishes. It’s a dishiyphusian task. And the logistics of “stuff to wash” “stuff that is drying” “sink is full and I want to do something else involving the sink” is just an absolute minefield.

Hands up anyone else that’s drinking out of a flowerpot or something because all the mugs are inexplicably dirty

Is this the new ‘I don’t own a tv’? It is, isn’t it….

tthew

If I had room I would have two dishwashers and create a routine where I took clean dishes out of one while I fill the other and rotate on a daily basis. I wouldn’t need cupboards.

There must be a cupboard where the dishes live now. If you put stuff from wherever your second dishwasher would live in there, now got the space for the second dishwasher.

ajantom

With two adults (who work full-time) and two under 10s in the house life’s too short to wash up the endless stream of stuff by hand.

I’d never had a dishwasher until my wife insisted a few years ago, now I’ll never not have one 😆

stumpyjon

Is this the new ‘I don’t own a tv’? It is, isn’t it….

Yes it really is, see also tumble driers which during the winter are definitely the way to go.

Obviously a dish wash owner here, can clearly tell when glasses haven’t been cleaned in the dishwasher. Only major drawback is the obvious inability of some people to stack them and using them half full on destroy the planet mode because there is one item in there that’s needed (that’s what the sink is for).Despite the dish washer we still have the it’s just soaking in the sink issue until the water is cold and disgusting meaning you can’t use the sink for other things but that’s just user error rather than the fault of the dishwasher.

poolman
    Free Member

My mate insists hand washing is better for environment, so I looked it up. My dishwasher on eco uses 0.8kwh and 9 litres of water, albeit 3.5 hours.

A new miele is down to 7 litres and 0.7kwhr, not worth binning a perfectly good old one yet but they are getting better all the time.

mogrim

We’ve just had the kitchen redone, and were washing up in the bathroom basin for about a month. That really made me appreciate my dishwasher!

intheborders
    Free Member

There’s been a dishwasher in our kitchen (whether mine or my folks when I was a kid) pretty much my entire life – and I’m 57.

My folks got one in 1970 – Mum hated domestic work and when she went back to work after my little brother started nursery they bought one. Ordinary working folk. It wasn’t until I was late teens that other folk started to get them.

It was also the first appliance I got when I bought my first flat, 1986, and I’ve had one ever since. I’ve also had cleaners for the majority of my life too, and still do (twice a week).

Do you folk without also use twin-tubs or is it a Mangle in the yard?

No one laid on their deathbed and wished they’d spent more time at the kitchen sink.

molgrips

Yes it really is, see also tumble driers which during the winter are definitely the way to go.

I’d like to see the science behind this claim.

RustyNissanPrairie

We fill a repurposed lobster pot with our dishes then lower it out of our living room window on a rope into the river Irwell for a few hours. Lasagna dishes etc take overnight

tjagain

Tumble driers on the other hand are the devils spawn

matt_outandabout

When there’s 5 of us (plus regular friends over), a dishwasher gets well used in the house.
    When it’s mrs_oab and I, we hand wash. We don’t leave things to soak or pile up, other than a couple of coffee cups.
    I find cleaning up is a nice time to whack some music on, pop the kettle on while I’m cleaning ready for a brew at the end.

stingmered

There’s something of the loom-smashers about this thread… 😂

About 6 or 7 years ago our dishwasher packed in and on Christmas Eve, right in the middle of preparing 4 days worth of food for people we had over during the festive period. Could have cried? I think I probably did. What a total PITA. Although we had lots of willing volunteers Christmas lunch alone took an an hour and a half to wash up. What a total waste of time, that in the non Christmas period, I simply do not have! Hateful, hateful job.

hels
    Free Member

I have never owned a dish washer and don’t own a tumble dryer.

My kitchen is small and open plan and it would take a week to fill a dishwasher. If your dishes are cleaner in one than hand washing you were doing it wrong.

My parents in Enzed have one of the two drawer dishwashers, one can be filled while the other is washing which is handy when you have fed loads of guests.

I hate tumble dryers they are for lazy disorganized people, wreck your clothes and are noisy and wasteful. A washing line, hoist or clothes airer with dehumidifier works fine and keeps things in better condition.

stingmered

Tumble-dryers are for lazy people…? Ha ha ha. How about a family, all doing different sports every day, plus school clothes, in winter… where on earth do you propose the 2 washes a day end up drying? We dry as much as we can in the house or on the line but living in the wintry pennies, outside drying is not practical (weeks of 100% RH) and there’s only so much space to dry stuff inside. Sadly, we do have to use the tumble-dryer a few times during the week.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.