Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Washing machines, 350 to spend, talk to me..
  • papamountain
    Free Member

Last two were a Bosch and a hotpoint, both died at exactly 5 years. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

keithb

Buy one for £200 and put the £150 in the bank for when that breaks?  We buy Beko ones and basically view them as disposable.

Terrible I know but with 3 small kids it’s quicker and easier to get a new one delivered to the door than get someone out to fix it, order parts and be without a washer for weeks (as happens to friends of ours with an expensive bosch they couldn’t justify replacing when it broke)

matt_outandabout

LG was bought here 16 years ago, first lasted 12 years, this new LG is now four years and still going. Second one was identical apart from being touch screen rather than dial and buttons, and much reduced.

That’s family of 5 btw.

docgeoffyjones

Have you thought about getting a second hand one off ebay/facebook? Our current Beko was £70 and is on its second year. Previously we had a Indesit for £50 that lasted us 6 years. We have 4 young kids so both have seen loads of use.

matt_outandabout

∆ Fair point. We have £35 dishwasher and £30 tumble drier, both going ok after 4 years after Gumtree purchase…

TheDTs
    Free Member

DO NOT get a Hoover.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Had to replace two washing machines last month.

Went Beko for about £230 each. Seem pretty good and much cheaper than ever paid before.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatever currys have for 350 quid.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I got a free Bosch machine from facebook 6 years ago. Its very very old. the plastic is yellow. But it still works. Bloomin noisy mind!

No idea how long the people before had it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe seek out a resource that tests them and gets feedback from thousands of users?

Which…in your library (online too for trials and subscription).

Got to be more meaningful than here!

involver
    Free Member

We’ve also had good luck with our Beko.

Which? reviews aren’t always that useful IME (often out of date, inaccurate, shallow, don’t always seem to be unbiased). YMMV.

matt_outandabout

The other thought from me is learn to fix them.

Our 12 year old LG wore through two main bearings. Quote for fixing this was £300+ each time.

Or two hours of my time, a youtube video and £30 of new seal and bearing.

Most others would have binned it.

Fwiw, the LG is much more ‘bolt together’ than factory press fit and sealed for life than the Hotpoint before it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s a chunk more money but bottom end Miele can be had for 600. Genuinely designed to last 20 years.

papamountain
    Free Member

Thanks all. Not a hoover, check. LG seems good..

Have thought about repairing it, it’s the bearings, rumbles like a goodun especially during the spin. I may take it apart to have a look but really cba to do it. Would like a Miele but no authorisation to spend so much!

mboy
    Free Member

Whatever currys have for 350 quid

Dear God no! Please don’t…

Find your local Euronics shop. You’ll get prices to (almost) match Currys, but service to far exceed it, and you’ll be supporting a local independent retailer. Also, their backup will far exceed anything offered by Currys too (they’ll want a lot of money each month), where if the machine goes wrong whilst you still own it but outside of its warranty period, all you have to pay for to fix it is the parts required, not the labour or call out charges!

My £269 machine from Euronics was only £10 cheaper in Currys, but again I didn’t have to pay for delivery (Currys would have been extra cost for me at a convenient time), and I didn’t get some zero hours contract 18yo urchin (I have worked for the company briefly, I know how bad their recruitment policy is!) making you feel guilty for not taking out the £10 per month insurance on said machine that would mean in 2 years, you’ve actually paid for it twice!!!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Is £350 your absolute max? If you could go to £359, ao have a samsung with a 5 year warranty. The way I see it, is that if manufactures are willing to give a 5 year warranty, they at least have some motivation to build in longevity. See here…

https://ao.com/l/washing_machines-with_a_5_years_warranty/1-18/1/?sort=aol_saleincvat

voodoo_chile

Bosch all the way ours is 15 years old but great

Murray

Our very old Bosch died, 6 months after I replaced the brushes. We ended up with this Bosch for just over £400 pounds on interest free credit. It washes so much better than the old one – I’m really happy with it. With rinse plus is also fill to a decent depth so no detergent residue.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bosch all the way ours is 15 years old but great

We’ve just replaced a nearly 20 year old Bosch. They *were* better than the competition but like many things the price hasn’t increased in many years and they’ve continually shaved quality to hit a price point.  I’m pretty sure we paid over £300 for the old Bosch and you can still buy one at a similar price now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Obviously all this “mine has lasted 15 years” stuff has to be taken in context.

A washing machine in a family of 1 or 2, that runs once or twice a week, really should last longer than in a family of 4 or 5 which may be running almost every day.

sockpuppet

If you’re near Abingdon then see if Miele outlet have anything cheap: we got ours for £150 BNIB last year, down from £1k plus.

Their stock list is available online.

johndoh
    Free Member

Buy one for £200 and put the £150 in the bank for when that breaks?  We buy Beko ones and basically view them as disposable.

So much this

It’s a chunk more money but bottom end Miele can be had for 600. Genuinely designed to last 20 years.

But the problem is that a 20 year old machine will be worse in pretty much every respect than a new machine in respect to energy usage etc. For example – is your 20 year old machine capable of handling a 10kg load and is A+++ rated? If not (as I strongly suspect) you also have to take into account it uses more energy per wash and needs to be run more often. In 20 years a machine that was new today will be equally out of date.

GrahamS

Beko has been just fine for me. Our current machine has a decent energy rating and is over five years old without complaint.

Edit: not actually sure how old it is. But more than 5 years. Used constantly with two young kids that do a lot of clubs etc.

kcal

when we moved into this house, 13 years ago – got a Bosch. It went OK, was repaired at least once by local repair man. When mum moved out of her house 4 years ago, we took her almost unused AEG (a modern one, rebadged whatever). It wasn’t split new so we could sell it, nor was it so used that it was a bargain for anyone.

It’s run really well these last 4 years, runs better I’d say than the Bosch (which, as above, was a much older machine).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just so you don’t have to buy a which subs, top 5 cheap washing machines for 2018
    Zanussi</span> ZWF91283W     £309
    Zanussi</span> ZWF81463W     £363
    Bosch</span> WAN28080GB/05    £359
    Beko</span> WTG741M1W    £219
    Zanussi</span> ZWF71463W    £295

fossy

I don’t know about you, but the site is now showing me a ‘horse blanket’ washing machine advert at the top of the page, and I don’t have a horse.

Madness.

sockpuppet

capable of handling a 10kg load and is A+++ rated? If not (as I strongly suspect) you also have to take into account it uses more energy per wash

Careful about making the rating your only measure: the highest ratings seem to come at the expense of *extremely* long wash cycles, which may not be the ones you actually use.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know about you, but the site is now showing me a ‘horse blanket’ washing machine advert at the top of the page, and I don’t have a horse.

Me too – since you said that! Thanks a lot!

40mpg

My Bosch just died at 5 years, following various leaks and failings. Finally controller failed. Glad to see the back of it. Prior to that had a hotpoint for 5 years which I regularly had to take apart too. Both cost £400 – £500.

Now got the cheapest Beko that meets our needs. Looks a bit plasticy but does the job, and cost £200 so if it too lasts 5 years, I can get twice the value

johndoh
    Free Member

Careful about making the rating your only measure: the highest ratings seem to come at the expense of *extremely* long wash cycles, which may not be the ones you actually use.

Perhaps, but do you think a new machine will use the same/more energy than a 20 year old one on a typical, standard, normal wash?

johndoh
    Free Member

We have a Beko that is just 5 years old – it has cost a approx £30 in repairs in that time – a snapped door release handle and worn out brushes (both replaced via ApplianceOnline and fitted by myself).

With two young girls (now 9) who do loads of clubs (running, gymnastics, horse riding etc) it gets used almost constantly. If it died tomorrow I’d buy another similar one.

freeagent
    Free Member

Recently binned a 6 year old LG direct drive model after the concrete weight broke and rubbed a hole through the internal drain hose.

We had it apart but decided it wasn’t worth fixing.. it had been properly abused and run daily (often two loads per day) since new.

We replaced it with a £350 Indesit which has been great so far.

My wife/kids are serial washing machine abusers (overloading, leaving stuff in clothes pockets, etc) so i run until it dies and hope it lasts 5 years – £350/260 weeks = £1.34 per week.. i can live with that.

scuttler

Washing machine abusers (aka parents) – remember to check for the user-accessible pump filter at the lower front and give it an occasional clean to remove the coins, hair slides and other cack that will otherwise render it smelly or even useless.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

But the problem is that a 20 year old machine will be worse in pretty much every respect than a new machine in respect to energy usage etc. For example – is your 20 year old machine capable of handling a 10kg load?

no, but nor is my new machine.  If you’re actually worried about environmental impact then the embedded energy in a new machine every 5 years is huge.  I also suspect any future efficiency gains will be pretty minimal now.  Modern machines seem to use less power by spending a lot of time soaking – our cotton wash takes 2 1/2 hours.  I’m not going to want that to be any longer (or i’m just always going to use the ‘short’ wash which almost certainly is the same but less efficient).  The same with water reduction – you can only remove so much water and have it still wash.

fasthaggis

Another LG Direct user (15 yrs) .

It failed for the first time a couple of months ago (Drain and Spin) and we were going to get another,but after a quick google I ordered a new pump unit (very easy to fit,thanks Youtube) and it’s going great.Will buy another LG when it finally dies .

cynic-al
    Free Member

My £350 integrated Ikea/Whirpool lasted 8 years (3 adults using). Repaced with a Zanussi std type @ £300 after research

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Washing machines, 350 to spend, talk to me..’ is closed to new replies.