Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Washing machine recommendations
  • Trekster

Washing machine has rumbled to a standstill tonight. Had Zanussi for years. What’s the latest/bestest?
    Obviously it’ll be the one you own 😉
    Best to avoid?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was always told Indisit (sp?) were the toughest you could get and had readily available parts of they did go wrong – armed with that knowledge I bought a Bosch. Had it five years, runs at least once a day keeping up with the kids, does boil washes for my wife’s nurse stuff and handles my manky riding kit without filling with sand and grit and dying. So I’m happy.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

We have a Miele & it gets used 3-4 times per day, it’s 8 years old & came with a ten year warranty that I only called apron the other week, a blocked pipe which was clearly not a manufacturing defect but was covered none the less, it did cost me a grand though 😯
    HTH

Cheers.

Yak

We’ve got a siemens one. Seems good so far at about 2 years in. The previous AEG one lasted 10 years though, so that had moar washingmachineness.

Davesport

We have a Miele & it gets used 3-4 times per day, it’s 8 years old & came with a ten year warranty that I only called apron the other week, a blocked pipe which was clearly not a manufacturing defect but was covered none the less, it did cost me a grand though
    HTH

Same happened to mine. It’s a known problem fixed in my case for nothing.

I can’t recommend Miele highly enough. Our’s get constant use with lots of mucky sports equipment. Both the washer & drier are 10 years old and have never missed a beat.

D.

allfankledup

Miele here

Had a hotpoint one that lasted for years, but then sounded like a Vulcan on takeoff towards the end. The Miele is v.good, and the operative hasn’t had anything bad to say about it (apart from washing the dog’s bed, when it fills up with fluff – I don’t think that is because it is a Miele..). Recommended

chestrockwell

Got a hotpoint washer/dryer and had a hotpoint washer before. Both faultless, both working fine, why pay more? The old washer is with a mate and a good 10 years old now.

geoffj

Cheapest Bosch offering here. The simpler the better.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just got a Miele last week. What a fantastic bit of kit. It was £699 at Currys, they did a £50 off and also Miele did a £75 off too. So wasn’t too bad in the end. Weight 110 kg, which took a bit of effort getting it in the hole, but has been so quiet and washes brilliantly. You pays yer money and we should have done it years ago. Whatever you do, don’t get a Hoover. They are hopeless. First one exploded in 6 months. Hoover replaced it. New one had same issues of not able to control the drum and crashing around and jumping out the cupboard. Hoover knew there was issues, they reprogrammed it, but 2 years of the constant banging and crashing and destroying the kitchen, it had to go. Miele has replaced it and hasn’t moved a hair from its location.

Trekster

Cheers.
    Having owned machines for more than 40yrs I know to avoid Hoover and Hotpoint, became an “expert” at replacing motor brushes when you could take things apart 😆 Been mostly Zanussi for most appliances since then.
    Always wondered if this £1k machines were worth it?
    Took the pump out earlier, there’s a bit missing = not pumping.
    It’s that conundrum time of old machine worth repairing or renew time?

chewkw
    Free Member

Britain is making washing machine again so what brands are they?

Trekster

https://whiteknightdryers.com/shop/category/white-knight-washing-machines/
    Daughter has a dryer, one of the few she hasn’t managed to destroy !!
    Thanks for reminding me, local dealer in town.

chewkw
    Free Member

Trekster – Member

https://whiteknightdryers.com/shop/category/white-knight-washing-machines/
    Daughter has a dryer, one of the few she hasn’t managed to destroy !!
    Thanks for reminding me, local dealer in town.

Excellent! Hope they become workhorse.

I wonder why they don’t make top loading washing machine in UK as top loading tend to wash cleaner as everyone in the far east uses.

TiRed

Miele. Just don’t buy an expensive one. Anything with a Cotton 40 degrees program and a 1300 spin cycle. My rule is one up from the cheapest model.

Ours has been going faultlessly for over 10 years. Averages a wash a day.

Oh, and when we moved, I locked the drum and then wheeled it out. Of course it fell off the trolley onto it’s front. A few scratches and I was worried about the balance. That was five years ago. I don’t worry now 😉

Buy cheap, buy twice.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Miele if you can afford it, Bosch if not.

goby

Yep we had a bosch for 10 years until last month. Was a great machine.
    Ended up replacing it with a samsung, so we shall see how it goes….

FuzzyWuzzy

Had a Zanussi washer/dryer that lasted 10 years (could have got it repaired, was just a water leak but fancied a change) and my current Samsung is 8 years old. Not knocking Miele, my parents swear by them, but washing machines from any decent brand last a long time these days – I’d only look at Miele if I needed something to last 25+ years (or had plenty of spare cash so the premium price wasn’t an issue)

Drac

Replaced ours with one of these http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry/washing-machines/beko-wx842430w-washing-machine-white-10133015-pdt.html a few months back. It’s superb got it cheaper that than too just over £200 so at that price it almost disposable after a few years.

hugo
    Free Member

I agree with Drac on this. Something like that Beko for £200-£250 makes far more sense to me.

Spending £1000 now is not just spending £1000. It’s extra cash that could come of a mortgage, stuck in an ISA/pension, pay off debt, go on a holiday, etc.

It’s a washing machine, not a fancy car. Get something that works, that will give you 5 years and more if you’re lucky, then buy a new one.

That last one I had for any time was a Zanussi. Cost me less than £300, was still going strong 4 years later without a single hiccough. Moved house and glad I wasn’t leaving a Miele.

Currently got a Samsung effort. Seems fine to me.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

We paid £575 for the Miele , which isn’t massive compared to paying £350 for a typical machine. We also considered the throw away society, with a view to it lasting a long time and with a 5yr parts and labour and 10yr drum warranty hope we will see a life far exceeding 10 years and not needing to be scrapped before a sensible lifetime.

simon_g

Current Which? top picks are all Samsungs. Best under £300 is Zanussi ZWF91283W.

The John Lewis ones do pretty well too, which is what we’ve got and are happy with.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

We looked at the Samsungs, as Currys were trying to sell these as they seem good machines, but we didn’t want a phone to text me to say what was broken and also in 7 years time we are more likely to get a Miele part than a Samsung. We were given my mums John lewis machine and was 4 years old, but was too deep to fit in the kitchen, as the front sloped and we couldn’t fit it in the kitchen sadly, but they are made by the Zanussi group, I believe.

andymac
    Free Member

I have a Miele which is great but it was £170 to replace the door seal which had been damaged by trapped washing. I previously had a Bosch and could repair the seal myself for £20. The Bosch lasted 7 years and I would probably go back if the Miele ever breaks, the out of warranty repairs are too expensive.

wrecker
    Free Member

Had a bosch previously which died early and didn’t represent good value. Now have a Siemens which has outlived it already. When buying again, I’d struggle too see past a Miele. Their stuff refuses to die!
    Oh, and a replacement Bosch or Siemens door seal is £50-60.

midlifecrashes

Beko here, 9kg, 1400 spin. Cleans well, doesn’t clog. About 5 years in at about six loads a week. Cost about £250, I couldn’t ask more than that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Similar to Midlifecrashes – ours is a Beko (although I think it is a 10kg). Has loads of wash options (such as quick was/refresh etc) and is A+ energy rated. We have used it every day for over two years and it hasn’t missed a beat. I think it cost us fractionally over £200.

And I am with Drac on this – spending £1000 on a washing machine is bonkers if only because in 10 years time technology will have moved on so much that the ‘great’ £1k washing machine isn’t all that good compared to new stuff.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Just replaced my 10yr old Samsung that had been faultless until the drive motor went.
    As such didn’t bother repairing and went for a new one.
    considered Bosch as 5 yr warranty but went for Samsung again as also 5 yr and slightly higher spec. Given the last performance I thought it fair I should go again.
    1st one 10yrs ago cost £200
    New one was £370
    Machine is used at least once a day with 8kg load in it.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry/washing-machines/samsung-ecobubble-wf80f5e2w4w-washing-machine-white-21334500-pdt.html

Now £369 by the looks of it!

CaptainSlow
    johndoh
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of spending more on smaller washing machines (especially if you have a family). There ate 10kg machines easily available for <£300 so you have less outlay, use less energy and have less time spent loading / unloading the machine.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Our cheap Beko is around 8-9 years old, used most days. In that time I’ve replaced the brushes. And that’s all the hassle I’ve had with it. When it eventually dies, I’ll get another.

MoreCashThanDash

If you can afford it, a Miele. I like the fact that they do not believe that white goods should have a short lifespan. My mums is 15 years old and still going strong.

As we cannot afford one, we have a Bosch. Been used at least once a day for 10 years, had a couple of parts replaced, but now making an ominous rumbling on some spin cycles. It will be replaced by another one.

MoreCashThanDash

Duplicate

teesoo

We have a 15 year old Bosch that has coped with daily washes. Can’t fault it, just wondering how much longer it will last (I’ve tempted fate, haven’t I?).

djambo
    Free Member

We have a Miele & it gets used 3-4 times per day

how do u generate that many dirty clothes?

Inbred456
    Free Member
    Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Another Miele fan who has had to deal with Boschs going wrong along the way.
    But very very impressed by my partners new Samsiung

johndoh
    Free Member

If you can afford it, a Miele. I like the fact that they do not believe that white goods should have a short lifespan. My mums is 15 years old and still going strong.

So – 15 years old. What is the drum size on that? What is the Energy rating?

ricardo666
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a beko after about 12 years with the old zanussi. I’d replaced the door lock on it 5 years ago, now the bearings are shot. For the hassle of pulling it to pieces and cba/lethargy creeping in. I decided on a new one. So far thumbs up to AO for the communication and delivery.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My Samsung is about 5 years old. Slight problem with door catch, it needs a good push and I made the mistake of getting the small load capacity model.
    Otherwise its been fine.
    Would I replace with the same?
    Quite possible would but would get the larger drum model

johndoh
    Free Member

So far thumbs up to AO for the communication and delivery.

I have used them before and they were very good. I used them last week and they were useless – the first I heard about the delivery time was a text received at 6.30am saying they would deliver ‘before 9am’. As we aren’t staying at the house (during work going on with a kitchen refit) it meant a mad dash up to the house to be there for the delivery. At 9am there was no sign so I called them and got an automated response saying the delivery was ‘between 8am and 10am’. At 9.15 the driver finally called, saying he was 30 minutes away. By 10am he still hadn’t turned up so we tried calling him both directly and via their online service and got no replies.

They eventually delivered at 11am with no apology and when I called Customer Service they couldn’t give two hoots, simply blaming their driver saying he should have called. And they said they can’t confirm a delivery slot until the day of delivery as they take orders up until midnight on the day before so they then plan in the schedule.

So the next thing I have bought has been from Appliances Direct instead, due tomorrow and I have my 2 hr deliver slot already and getting good comms via both text and email.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Washing machine recommendations’ is closed to new replies.