Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Washing machine making clothes smell
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

As many people above said – had a similar problem, resolved by a few 90°C washes and leaving the door open.

IHN

As above, Napisan is your friend. We use it in every wash.

jimmy

Don’t put “that sock” in with your wash. Yeah you know.

plyphon
    Free Member

We solved it by simply washing my tees on a hotter wash. Think we do 50? Not sure, I’ll have to ask the Mrs.
    (GENDER STEREOTYPES WARNING!!!)

scoob67
    Free Member

As previously mentioned, cup of white vinegar and a couple of hot cycles.

GrahamS

Close, they play a tune when it finishes.

Excellent, can you download ringtones for them yet? 😆

teasel
    Free Member

Don’t use conditioner or similar products.

I have a 4 year old machine – wash between 40 – 80, liquid detergent and cleaned about once every two months with some of that Dr Beckmans antibacterial stuff. Never have I used softener or conditioner.

Smells as fresh as the day I got it. The last one was used with conditioner/softener and it stank to high heaven before I binned it.

iainc

any tips for getting all the gunge off the door seal inners (washer dryer and solid fluff….) ?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Elbow grease. Unfortunately.

teasel
    Free Member

any tips for getting all the gunge off the door seal inners

They’re generally removable. If yours is, remove and soak in detergent, scrub and refit.

Should’ve mentioned – the stinky machine I had never got any better despite washes with just about everything you can think of. Binned.

Also, I was incorrect above – my machine is almost 7 years old now; like new!

dashed
    Free Member

Mrs is allergic to most bio products and we use non-bio for 90% of the time. I find the odd load on a bio wash keeps the machine smelling fresh and avoids the musty smell on clothes. If I don’t do a bio wash now and then, the odd thick cotton item dried slowly inside (rather than out on the line can be a bit musty.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Excellent, can you download ringtones for them yet?

Washing machine ringtones were last year.

We have an iphone app for our washer.

Next level stuff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going to suggest you may have a bit of back flush from blocked plumbing, sounds a bit wide of mark but could be an issue.. worth checking out.

maccruiskeen

We have an iphone app for our washer.

Next level stuff.

I have an iPhone app that smells bad.

In relation to the OP – cleaning out the machine is a worthwhile undertaking – but from you your own observation it’s the clothes not the machine that smell bad. The machine isn’t making the clothes smell, they way you’re washing them isn’t getting the clothes clean.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Run a very hot wash with white vinegar in the dispenser. You will need to do a second empty wash.

What @cinamon says. FWIW you can use white vinegar as a softener. FWIW 2 its readily available in French super markets as its commonly used there for cleaning inc descaling – mich cheaper than fancy branded “snake oil” products

OP also worth thoroughly checking drain/filter (usually at front) and also laying machine down to look at pipework underneath. You could take the water inlet hoses off too and flush through.

jimmy

any tips for getting all the gunge off the door seal inners

I googled this and came back with “sprinkle with bicarb of soda, leave for 30 mins, spray with vinegar and scrub off”. It’s like new, I tell you.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If we use non bio we get the smell. Only use Daz now and no problems

spooky_b329

If the vinegar doesn’t work, try this.

jerrys
    Free Member

Thanks everybody so far.

Will try some biological washing powder next to see if that helps. (Ran half a packet of soda crystals through on a hot cycle last night).

maccruiskeen

Of course – your laundry may smell absolutely fine. It might be your top lip that smells mouldy.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Washing machine making clothes smell’ is closed to new replies.