Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Washing machine connector question
  • krixmeister

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of this question – I don’t know enough about plumbing to ask the question correctly…

We have a holiday cottage with a washing machine in it – the machine has a small leak inside it – not enough to keep the machine from working, but enough that we don’t want to leave the machine hooked to the water supply when not in use (even when we are there).

The machine is connected to the cold water supply to the kitchen sink via something like this:

https://www.bes.co.uk/tee-washing-machine-tap-15mm-x-3-4-8139?ref=gs&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZiJ1r6n2AIV7pztCh1PHQdgEAQYBCABEgI3VvD_BwE

with a valve for turning it off – however the valve is behind the machine so cannot be reached without pulling the washing machine out.

Is it possible, via some combination of an additional washing machine connector inlet hose, and a washing machine “inline valve”, to extend the washing machine connector hose and add an additional valve, so that we can place the valve in a place we can reach? I’m think an additional meter or so of hose extension would allow me to place the valve under the sink, where it would be reachable.

Make any sense at all?

leffeboy

Well yes buts it’s a holiday cottage where no-one will remember and your place will get wet. Get the machine fixed/replaced is the proper solution. Otherwise the connection looks like a standard size and you might find something appropriate in a garden centre for use with a hose

cbike
    Free Member

Getting a new washing machine is cheaper than the plumbing/insurance involved to maintain a potentially disastrous fault.

But it’s your house. Do what you like. Or Turn off the mains water when you leave?

spooky_b329

1) Fix the machine…if its leaking when the machine is off, its either leaking at the hose connections, or at the first valve just inside the machine, as this valve only opens when the the program wants to fill the drum.

2) Get a Surestop water valve, goes on the permanent pipework with a switch that goes above the worktop. If its a holiday cottage this will encourage the cleaner/yourselves to leave the water switched off (you could probably install this after the main stop cock if you wanted?)

3) Don’t just extent the hose, makes a whole load more connections and stress on the plastic joints that have the potential to leak or break and flood the house!

matt_outandabout

I agree, get the machine sorted or replaced, not a solution that’s likely to cost a good chunk in cost to organise, and again when someone forgets…

nickjb
    Free Member

As spooky says, if it’s leaking all the time then it must be somewhere near the inlet. Potentially an easy fix.

A convoluted run of hoses sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Washing machine connector question’ is closed to new replies.