Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Washing bike after night ride
  • gwurk
    Free Member

FOR A BIKE 😯

Hot water makes cleaning any bike infinitely quicker and more pleasurable. Try it before pouring scorn because it’s not what YOU do.

vongassit
    Free Member

It gets no lotion on its chain , it just get the hose again.

Its not Precious.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m with gwurk, hot tap is the baws, so much easier.

hodgynd
    Free Member

It was for me too ..but recently changed the mixer tap in the kitchen and the hozelock adapter no longer fits ..so cold only from the outside tap .. 😡

emac65
    Free Member

I have lights, a roof over the top, a radiator & hot(or cold)running water, but it’s all irrelevant as I don’t do the whole bike washing thing, chain gets lubed & muck falls off in my heated garage when it dries…. Did mention my heated garage, it’s about 18 degrees in there at the moment….. 😉

Mind,I CBA to get the mucky thing out the of the car tonight, it’ll still be there tomorrow….I’m sure 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Hot water makes cleaning any bike infinitely quicker and more pleasurable.

And more expensive and less environmentally friendly!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Normally do a full clean but just hose down if I CBA.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And more expensive and less environmentally friendly!

Christ, here we go…..

gwurk
    Free Member

Actually. My hot water is probably far more environmentally friendlily heated than yours molegrips

gwurk
    Free Member

hozelock adapters for mixer taps are available too

Hozelock 2274 adapter

deadkenny
    Free Member

Tried one of those and used to be a right faff to stop water spraying all over the kitchen.

Anyway, nope is my answer. There’s no light in the garden to wash it. Got portable washer but where I do night rides I can’t wash it where I’m parked if I’ve driven there.

Wipe down, brush off when it’s dry.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Gwurk ..cheers .. 😀
    The old tap was a mixer tap which accepted a different hozelock fitment and to be honest I just hadn’t looked to see if there was a different one ..

oikeith

Tried one of those and used to be a right faff to stop water spraying all over the kitchen.

I used to suffer this, I now close hose nozzle, turn off tap, go back and open hose nozzle to release trapped water, then remove from tap and no more spray of water over me and the kitchen.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I did discover the bathroom shower hose screwed onto another hozelock thing I had which worked pretty well. Needed a long hose though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mud is a fantastic preservative, so I just leave it on, wait for it to dry, knock off the dried mud, clean and re-lube the chain and crack on. Every now and again i’ll treat it to a proper wash, chain off, cassette off and a good deep clean. I steer well clear of bearings though.

nickc

if you really want, have a look to see if the mixer tap has a screw in spout (many do) and you fit a regular hoselock end (as the threads are standard)

wash bike after night ride if it needs it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

One of my jobs over christmas is to fit an outside hot tap…….. not sure i fancy sitting outside drilling holes in the wall when it’s -10 though.

(Mines heated by ground source heat pumps, the geothermal pumps are powered by hydroelectric. Which i pay extra for. So pretty green.)

Andy-R

oikeith – Member
    give it a few bounces on the sheet before taking it out and wife is happy.

Must try that tonight….

dannyh
    Free Member

Usually a quick wipe down of the drivetrain, fork stanchions and dropper.

WD40 on the chain and a dribble of oil on the stanchions and dropper and a bit of bouncing to draw dirt out of the seals.

Wipe down and lock up.

RobinL

As we normally end up in the pub after 10pm, then a couple of pints and ride home, getting home between 11 and 11:45pm, the last thing I want to do is clean the bike especially when the alarm goes off at 6am …. it will wait till the weekend.

Which is probably after Sundays ride !

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Last week was… dunk bike in canal outside pub.
    More usual routine is… hose down whole bike and lube drivetrain.

gwurk
    Free Member

Deadkenny – if you mean it leaked. simply add an extra PVC plumbing washer and tighten it down properly tight. Otherwise. What the other bloke said.

gwurk
    Free Member

Deadkenny – if you mean it leaked. simply add a PVC plumbing washer and tighten it down properly tight. Otherwise. What the other bloke said.

scotroutes

Gary, my bikes would like to thank you.

After reading this thread, I found out about this

http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/fittings-and-connectors-watering/kitchen-tap-connector/

I ordered one off Amazon and it arrived yesterday.

That meant that I could actually wash the bikes with some hot water without it freezing in place (it’s been about -7C all day).

gwurk
    Free Member

so much better isn’t it?

🙂

on really muddy night rides you can also shower outdoors 😉

scotroutes

The only problem I had was the hot water then freezing on the bike by the time I got to the other end 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Washing bike after night ride’ is closed to new replies.