Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Washing bike after night ride
  • gasser
    Free Member

Just wondered how many people wash their bike down after a muddy winter night ride, not at all, quick sprinkle, full wash down or full on clean, all in the dark, myself, hose down and oil the chain, riding buddy just puts his bike away as it is.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Depends on how cold and knackered I am.

edhornby

last monday was a slop fest and I knew it wasn’t coming back out of the shed for a few weeks so I hosed down and did a quick squirt of drivetrain cleaner and then fresh lube

in the summer maybe just a rag run-through and lube on the drivetrain

tjagain

Just gets put away. Its all properly protected and serviced tho so it will do no harm. I very rarely clean bikes

mcnultycop

Hose off then a quick rag on the chain. I’ll then chuck GT85 on the drivetrain, so I can clean properly and re-lube when it’s light/when I can be arsed.

gwurk
    Free Member

Full proper wash after every muddy ride. Have outdoor lighting, a hot water hose and a bike stand at the door.

Hose down bike getting worst off. Fill bucket with hot soapy water. quick brush/sponge all over. rinse. towel dry and lube chain.

Whole process only takes 5mins.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a hot water hose

FOR A BIKE 😯

Hose the worst off, most times but not always , put in house

Its a SS so not the most important thing in the world and depends on weather, temp and whether i can be bothered

scotroutes

Err. Nah.

Bike goes in the garage. Isn’t that what garages are for?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i’ll give the drivetrain a once over, make sure it’s running nice, all as shiny as possible, and maybe, just maybe clean the stanchions if they’re particularly blathered….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Depends on how cold and knackered drunk I am.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At most a quick clean of the chain and a lube, as for everything else if it’s not moving it’s not doing any damage so it can be dealt with whenever.

milky1980
    Free Member

Bikes live indoors so a full clean every time. Helps having a Mobi washer and if you do it as soon as you finish the ride it’s not much hassle, if any.

kayak23

Drivetrain only.

mattbee

Quick hose if I can be bothered but usually just a squirt of gt85 on drivetrain & maybe a squirt of silicone spray on the fork seals.
    Usually deal with it the next day.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Depends. If the drivetrain isn’t too graunchy it just gets out away. If the ride was a horror show, it’ll get a proper clean.

joebristol

Sometimes give the drivetrain a wipe over. Last week I just chucked it in the garage and I’ll have to sort out the carnage before my next ride this weekend. I don’t normally neglect it quite that much but I had stuff to do.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Leave it or quick hose.

Those that are saying they re lube the chain, how are you cleaning the chain first ? As in I only ever re lube a chain when it’s been properly cleaned otherwise it’s just sealing dirt in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As in I only ever re lube a chain when it’s been properly cleaned otherwise it’s just sealing dirt in.

Rock and roll, doesn’t seal stuff in and a quick hose gets the crap off.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I just park it in the shed. Maybe a squirt of GT85 on the chain if it’s been a wet ride.
    Being single speed helps 😀

weeksy

It’s not in the dark, my garage is fully lit etc, so it gets the same full wash it would get at any other time of the day/year. Strip down, chain off etc.
    Of course this is only if it needs it, if it’s summer, then it just goes in the garage while i grab a beer.

hodgynd
    Free Member

As just about every night ride involves a drive somewhere first to meet up with mates ..its usually an upside down wipe over with an old towel at the end of the ride before going into the back of the car ( which has a very thick poly sheet covering the entire area)..a hose down the next morning or a ” dry clean ” depending on its condition..
    * That’s what used to happen.. night rides are but a distant memory these days 😥

konanige

People clean their chains !!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Hose off then a quick rag on the chain. I’ll then chuck GT85 on the drivetrain, so I can clean properly and re-lube when it’s light/when I can be arsed.

This.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Never, rolling in at 10.15 after a couple of pints the most it gets is a brush down and maybe a quick lube to the chain if its been a wet one.

tomaso
    Free Member

Depends on how cold and knackered I am.

This

martinhutch

Hose the worst off with a brush attachment, leave to drip for a bit then rag on the chain and re-lube.

fossy

Hose off, spray on muck off or just car shampoo in squirt bottle. Hose off winter boots. Bike in garage, go get myself clean, then back out with sponge and brush and clean bike. Wipe down chain and lube. Quick squirt of GT85 on the mechs pivots and jobs done.

pictonroad

Never. It’s what singlespeed rigid bikes are for.

It’s the last thing I want to be doing at 11:30 when it’s just above freezing.

aazlad
    Free Member

Old bike: throw it in the garage. Wet lube chain just before next ride.
    New bike: quick blast with the hose to remove the mud while it’s still wet. Dry and lube chain. Not sure how long this will last.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Generally gets a quick hose down with minimal chain cleaning.
    This is proving to be not enough as I see my drivetrain has quickly gone past the point of needing a new chain to needing to replace the whole chainset. cassette, and chain 🙁

tjagain

FunkyDunc – Member

Leave it or quick hose.

Those that are saying they re lube the chain, how are you cleaning the chain first ? As in I only ever re lube a chain when it’s been properly cleaned otherwise it’s just sealing dirt in.

I have putoline on my chain – it needs neither cleaning nor relubing

chiefgrooveguru

Only if it’s muddy AND wet. If it isn’t pretty soaked then I leave it.

Never ride it without the various stanchions and chain clean and lubed.

rocketman
    Free Member

The bike goes in the hall opposite the radiator on a plastic sheet. After a day or two most of the dirt has dried up and fallen off and what remains can be brushed off by hand.

lube the chain/forks/dropper, carry the sheet outside and throw the rich soil on the garden.

fifeandy
    Free Member

just puts his bike away as it is.

This

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been better lately. I pull up by the back gate, nip in to turn on the hose. Then I spray a bit of muc off, use a wet brush to wipe it all down the hose it off. Then apply muc off to the chain and blast it with the hose on high pressure – done.

I very rarely clean bikes

Yeah you have sandy peaty mud though, not clayey. The type of mud and hence where you are in the country makes all the difference. Last week I MTBed around Swindon and the bike was a total mess. Gears skipping after a few miles off road, and when I got home the clag was caked on.

benp1

For local stuff I usually ride a rigid singlespeed with front and rear mudguards so no, just gets parked in the garage to dry off

If I take my geared hardtail then I might give it a quick hose, no wiping/brushing/spray though

oikeith

When Bike was new back in April for a few months, it was wash every part after every ride and lube chain and stanchions.

These days, use GT85 as a cleaner and lube and also clean and lube the stanchions.

My bike lives in the house, the wife went mental recently about dried mud falling off the bike, to combat this I brought a big plastic sheet and leave it on that, give it a few bounces on the sheet before taking it out and wife is happy.

Yak

Dry ride – put it away, or maybe a brush off.
    Wet ride – a watering can of rainwater all over it then put it away. Lube the next day when it’s dry.

natrix
    Free Member

you have sandy peaty mud though, not clayey.

Incredible how much difference that makes. Riding through claggy clay needs a proper bike clean, whereas sandy peat just seems to dry and fall off on its own accord 😀

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

portable jet wash from boot of car – spray down – put away when home – next day rewax chain if needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Washing bike after night ride’ is closed to new replies.