Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Washer/Dryers
  • robbo1234biking

Ok so the washing machine may be on its way out and as we dont have space for a washer and dryer we may look at a washer dryer. Are they any good now as the consensus used to be dont touch them with a barge pole?

Also do they require the same amount of ventilation as a normal dryer to the outside?

Cheers

thehustler
    Free Member

washer dryer, washer not as good as a conventional washer, dryer not as good as a conventional dryer. Also if one p-art goes wrong its replace whole thing, only real advantage is convienience

organic355
    Free Member

I dont think you can get any washer dryers above a C rating for energy efficiency unless you go for a ££££ one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

I’m on my second washer dryer (in 11 years) as I don’t have space for a separate dryer either. First one was a £300 Zanussi and it lasted nearly 10 years, started leaking at the cold water intake hose which was repairable but wanted a change anyway. New one has been going fine for over a year http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/539236/SAMSUNG-WD8704RJA?cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-Washer_Dryers-_-position

The only issue I’ve had with both are after using the dryer function it can leave fluff in the drain holes in the drum, next wash that then tends to get left on the clothes. Doing a quick rinse cycle with an empty tub seems to help and you could always wipe it out if it bothered you that much (new machine does it a lot less than the old one).

I think all washer/dryers will be condensing dryers so no external ventilation required. Watch out for some models that have a drying weight a lot less than the wash weight otherwise I imagine you end up overloading it during the drying cycle which probably doesn’t help longevity.

Oh forgot – the other issue I get is washing bath towels, after a 1400rpm spin they tend to get packed down and if you do a dry cycle straight after you get a rock hard lump not a dry towel, but you just need to take it out after the spin cycle and fluff it up a bit and stick it back in before drying.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

See this from last week
    LINKY

And

I dont think you can get any washer dryers above a C rating for energy efficiency unless you go for a ££££ one.

Which isn’t true – we are looking at this one…
    ANOTHER LINKY

This site had some good choice
    OHH, ANOTHER ONE

But I do agree, a combined one is not as good as a stand-alone washer or dryer, but they do work and newer ones have pretty decent load capacities and energy ratings.

We got our last one about 8 years ago and it has just broken down for the second time but the £150 to repair meant the repairman recommended we bin it and buy a new one now.

chiefgrooveguru

Two tall clothes horses and a dehumidifier?

tyke
    Free Member

Which the consumer magazine did a review earlier this year. Not sure what came out on top but Zanussi was one of the Best Buys. Check your local library for back copies of the magazine or be cheeky and sign up for the Which free 1 month trial.

That said our Zanussi is still going OK after 12 years.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Two tall clothes horses and a dehumidifier?

If you are gonna do that, why not just get a drier?

That said our Zanussi is still going OK after 12 years.

Ours hasn’t fared so well – bearings went two years ago, now a bracket has failed. Still running but very noisy and it could implode at any time if another bracket goes, but we are hanging in on there. I was actually surprised when the repairman came out to look at it and recommended we bought new when surely his job is to repair stuff – I thought he would just do the repair and take the money.

organic355
    Free Member

Which isn’t true – we are looking at this one…
    ANOTHER LINKY
    This site had some good choice
    OHH, ANOTHER ONE

They are still only B rated. (or A rated for the washer, C for the dryer)

My washing machine is A++ rated and wouldnt go anything less.

How about one of these:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They are still only B rated. (or A rated for the washer, C for the dryer)

Which is better than your statement dont think you can get any washer dryers above a C rating for energy efficiency unless you go for a ££££ one. yes?

The second link was a site with good choice, no idea about ratings on that link – hence This site had some good choice.

My washing machine is A++ rated and wouldnt go anything less.

Good for you. Unfortunately for some people, they need a combined washer dryer (usually due to having a small space to fit it into) so they have to take what is available. I would love a separate washer and dryer and to have more choice of better machines that don’t cost so much to buy and run, but I don’t have that luxury.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Washer/Dryers’ is closed to new replies.