Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wasdale, Lake District, which campsite?
  • spacehopper

off upto the lakes in a few weeks and going to stay in Wasdale for some get away from it all camping.. (no bikes though!)..

just wondering which campsite up there was the best? am tending towards the old post office campsite from what ive read so far as the national trust site looks a bit more expensive..

and any recommendations for walking in the area? on the easyish side.. not going to do Scafell Pike this time… itll have to wait until the next time!

off-the-pace
    Free Member

I haven’t been in Wasdale (or UK) for a few years but Wasdale Head remains a favourite place and it’s one of those places that doesn’t (and shouldn’t) change. I haven’t camped for longer than that but I cannot imagine any reason not to camp at the NT site – just because of where it is.

As for where to go…..
    Have dinner at the Wasdale Head Inn (not Ritson’s Bar, go to the hotel restaurant) for the sole reason that will give you access to the Resident’s bar that hasn’t changed since the guys that pioneered rock climbing drank there. The original photos are on the walls – taken with plate cameras! Hard men! Awesome atmosphere. Have a pint for me.
    Having done that go to their crags – and look at them from below. Less effort, superb situations and no crowds. Adrenalin takes the drudgery out of the ascending.
    \
    1. South Traverse of Gable and Pillar Rock.
    WH to sty head via Zigzags. South traverse of Gable to Beck Head. North east flank of Kirk Fell to Black Sail Pass. High Level Route and Shamrock Traverse to Pillar. Either return to WH via Black sail and Mosedale or complete Mosedale Horseshoe to Dore Head. There are bail-out opportunities aplenty.

2. Scafell via Lord’s Rake, West wall Traverse and Deep Ghyll.
    Can start via Hollow stones (but I would rather do it via Zigzags, Corridor route and…. or Cust’s Gulley…. Scafell Pike becomes almost mandatory and that’s making it a very big day). I’m told Lord’s Rake is prone to rockfalls these days and deep Ghyll is quite a serious place too. Options for return to WH but all of them anti-climactic! Always a problem for Scafell (the routes through Scafell’s crags tend to be one-way) and you wanted to avoid the big tops anyway. There’s always Broad Stand when making loops but if you are happy on it it’s fairly dull and if you’re not it a bit tooooo exiting. Again there are bail-outs but not once committed to Scafell

3. The Screes. – Illgill Head and Whin Rigg
    Out along the tops and back along the lakeside ‘path’. Crossing the southern end of the screes takes a little time. Skinny-dipping optional but choose a very warm day. That lake is cold. Simple but really nice.

You could spend weeks picking out the scrambles on/between the high crags if that’s what you like. It always worked for me once I tired of huddling at summit cairns with all the folk that were ticking off the Wainwright pages without actually reading them or looking at a map.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's been ages but I remember a big rock fell into Lord's Rake and it was advised not to enter it. Is it considered OK now?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Its got a large perched\leaning block right in the middle that fell a few years back, i think its still there, check out the Wasdale MRT site for more info:

http://wasdalemrt.org.uk/callouts~blackspot~lords%20rake.htm

Best\nicest way up avoiding Broad Stand and Lords Rake is via Fox's Tarn

TomHill
    Free Member

Don't rely on the NT campsite if you are travelling up as a group. They are really strict about groups, even mixed ones and with lots of tents. Been turned away twice, despite plenty of room.

There is another campsite on the other side of the road to the Wasdale Head Inn, but only used it as a brief overnighter, so can't really comment on facilities.

clareymorris

I think nether Wasdale campsite is better (2 pus in the village too) – the NT campsite as Wasdale Head is very expensive! Even the Wasdale head Inn is apparently "not what it was" 🙁

spacehopper

booked into the old post office site… 🙂

the NT one was just tooooo expensive (for camping) at £53 for two people for three nights!

i remember in my day when it was thruppence ha'penny for a week… 🙄

and i think a map needs to be ordered too to checkout some of the surrounding area and the routes off the pace has suggested!

clareymorris

I meant 2 "pubs" not "pus" sorry – but you probably realised that!!!

off-the-pace
    Free Member

Even the Wasdale head Inn is apparently "not what it was"

Happily Wasdale Head Inn hasn’t changed anything except maybe the sheets since Ritson’s Bar was added in 70’s. That was up to 2006 AFAIK. I really recommend the resident's bar if only for museum value. Compare it with the 19/20th century photos. You are sitting in those guys chairs! The restaurant is nothing special but is warm and dry, which can be attractive in Wasdale.

and i think a map needs to be ordered too

You will struggle to deal with those from maps alone. The Wainwright books are still good for the less trampled routes but you will need 2 (Southern and Western Fells by memory)and you will need to look at more than one page!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wasdale, Lake District, which campsite?’ is closed to new replies.