• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by K.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Was this a faulty lateral flow test? (Pic)
  • Poopscoop

The fact it didn’t produce a line on the Control would seem to indicate so? Not had this before and I do a couple of these a week.

Doing another test as I type.

Thanks guys.

Oh, didn’t take the pic for a while after the 30 mins so the purple splurge is fading in colour a bit.

Murray

Looks like it

Edukator
    Free Member

Looks like you didn’t put enough drops in and it didn’t flow far enough to reach C. It got to T though so I call negative.

Drac

Yes.

Poopscoop

Thanks guys.👍

Odd as I stuck to a very well versed routine. Another from the same pack just tested -ve.

Going to try one more later from an entirely different pack too.

Got to admit my heart skipped a beat when I first looked at it. How the **** I could look after someone with dementia whilst simultaneously preventing her from catching it from me doesn’t bare thinking about.

richardkennerley

It got to T though so I call negative.

But the control hasn’t worked so the test is invalid.

Edukator
    Free Member

I know that, but if there had been a distinct red line at T it would have been positive, with or without the control. It might not be valid but it gives you an accurate result all the same once it’s flowed past T. Obviously do it again to be sure.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

defo faulty test , unlike mine yesterday ….

Poopscoop

^^ Sorry to hear that mate.

FB-ATB

I had a similar looking result when I could only get 1 drop onto the strip after not getting enough fluid off the swab.

Poopscoop

Deffo got 2 drips onto test.

I think I might have worked it our though. Whilst test was sat on the side, I sprayed an antibac onto an Amazon parcel nearby-ish (Yes, I’m that cautious still) and I’m thinking I got some over spray onto the test. It’s a possibility anyway.

Our it was just faulty.

Exit: Second test (well third inc dodgy one) tested negative too. Nose feels like its had a needle file up it now…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

cheers poopscoop , ive been expecting it since sat tbh , everyone else in our yard has had it , i was last to resist , double jabbed means it’s mitigated to a great extent i expect , more of a hinderance really , can’t get on with stuff while between jobs , shan’t complain .
    Noticeable how many others i know who’ve been unaffected till now are catching it , most are jabbed , but seems to become a mild flu in effect ……..i think it’s inevitable that most of us will catch it , especilly with the accelerated opening up allied to less restrictions, they’re obviously putting faith in the vaccine programme .

footflaps

Classic sign of Cat Aids (and not the good type).

So sorry.

bails

“Deffo got 2 drips onto test.”

Do you mean 2 drops onto the ‘S’ section?

poly
    Free Member

Yes its faulty / or not had enough sample. It happens. For what seems like incredibly simple technology they are actually quite sensitive to all sorts of little things inside the plastic housing. So whilst it might be you didn’t add enough sample, similar issues can happen if the pads inside aren’t making good contact, or a little bit of the plastic wasn’t moulded right to get the flow properly. The failure rate from defects rather than user error is low but does happen. If you are making millions of tests a week, as cheaply as possible some failures are probably unavoidable.

Back in 2005 I had the joy of recalling an entire batch of tests because the glue that sticks the bits all together inside started to fail a month after assembly and about 1/20 did exactly this!

@Edukator

I know that, but if there had been a distinct red line at T it would have been positive, with or without the control. It might not be valid but it gives you an accurate result all the same once it’s flowed past T. Obviously do it again to be sure.

No! The control line confirms that sufficient sample has flowed along the test to make the control line system operate correctly. If you didn’t add enough sample to get that to happen you can draw no conclusions about the meaning of anything (pos or neg) at the test line zone. With the right circumstances you could get a positive sample to show no test line if the flow is wrong OR a negative sample to show a test line because insufficient sample has washed the excess reagent off. One of the dangers of letting the public do these tests themselves is they make their own mind up what this means!

Poopscoop – if you don’t normally report the tests via the NHS website – they would probably be even more grateful if you could report this (they call it a Void) – as they will want to know the % failure rate.

K

Our latest tests take 4 drops not 2 like the old ones. Check the instructions for that pack

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Was this a faulty lateral flow test? (Pic)’ is closed to new replies.