Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Was The Croix de Fer better with a carbon fork?
  • ampthill

I’m after versatile road type bike for under £1000 (cycle to work scheme Halfords vouchers)

In 2015 many CDF models had a carbon fork with an alloy steerer. This is certainly lighter but was it better?

I think I’ll get this

On the basis that over the CDF I get a carbon fork and tyres that are probaly more suited to my initial needs. I assume its basically the CDF frame with the odd tweak as they all work out of the same Milton Keynes office.

This is the other option

But weight aside is the carbon fork likely to ride any better. In some ways I think a steel fork will stand up better to me crowded shed

Oh and other suggestions welcome. Must have a 27.2mm seat post and rack mounts. The lower the gearing the better

zilog6128

Definitely prefer mine (2010 model) with aftermarket carbon fork.

iainc

I had a 2014 one with steel fork and replaced it with a 2015 with carbon fork. Much more compliant with carbon. Quite a different bike though with much better hydro brakes and groupset.

smell_it
    Free Member

I like the look of the Ridgeback but a grand for a Sora equipped bike seems steep to me, although it has got some good points, like the full carbon fork. But that might be the price of steel frames I guess, I don’t look at many steel bikes.

iainc

The 2015 ones were criticised for being pricey and I think the main reason for dropping the carbon fork in 2016 was to get the price down

ampthill

Yes it steep for Sora. The new stuff is alot nicer with shifter windows confined to history

Withe Genesis even the aluminium bikes aren’t that well equiped. The CDA 20 is £950 with less good wheels and brakes. The Diverge is £800 for Sora but agin Promax brakes

It is crazy Given a Tiagra Defy disc is £850. But I don’t want a bike that won’t take bigger tyres

Of course it’ll cost me £680. If it wasn’t for cycle to work then I’ve on an Arkoss already, with Tiagra for £720

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I have a 2016 with the steel fork, it rides alright but I considered getting a carbon fork for it to drop some weight. I couldn’t find a fork with the same 50mm offset though so sort of gave up.

jameso

I think that’s the same carbon fork as the 2016 Arkoses on the Ridgeback, so ime more rigid than the older CdF steel fork – not sure if it’s changed in recent years.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The Kaffenback seems to suit your needs.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/kaffenback

Get on well with mine. I see they are also on 11speed now…. hmmm could use the extra gears on my 10speed Kaff.

Cheers, Steve

ampthill

I think that’s the same carbon fork as the 2016 Arkoses on the Ridgeback, so ime more rigid than the older CdF steel fork – not sure if it’s changed in recent years.

Thanks that is helpful in that I have ridden that fork. When I started this thread I assumed “rigid” was bad. But I’ve remembered that there was a time when the mags were full of suggestions on how to upgrade to a stiffer fork…

The Kaffen back is not available on Halfords vouchers. I might still be in the running if the front was bit higher

This years CDF 10 seems to have moved to heavy Jalco rims and that is also putting me off (a bit)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Was The Croix de Fer better with a carbon fork?’ is closed to new replies.