• This topic has 65 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Was I right?
  • Terrydactyl

Keva, you are right, i do regret saying "morning", that was childish and a mistake (in hindsight).

It was spectators who wanted to stop me, not officials with tabards.

If an official, back up the track had a sign out or just warned us as we appraoched I would have ceded.

We were also well out the line of sight of the players.

coffeeking
    Free Member

At the end of the day we all have to get on and share space. Common courtesy and manners is very important in this, however I dont think stopping for someone who isnt even on or crossing the trail is really anything to do with manners.

BoardinBob

As an example, on the golf course near me that has a BW running through and around it, if someone is taking a shot thats over the BW, they have to ring a bell to warn BW users to take care. Sticking a mob of people in the trail isn't something I'd have been too pleased with either.

Are you sure that's what the bell is for?

The bell is usually on a "blind" hole where any players behind you couldn't see if you had moved from where they're likely to aim for. You ring the bell to let them know you've moved off the fairway or green.

If however you are correct, in your original point you're stating you should have unrestricted access as it's a RoW. Surely then the bell restricts your access as you should slow down or stop? Why then would you alter your progress for a bell but not for someone taking a shot nearby?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As far as priorities of who has right of way on a right of way (ahem?) – I always ask myself WWRD? (What Would the Ramblers Do?)

😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

but not for someone taking a shot nearby?

Because the bell ringing indicates a danger to yourself should you proceed, but the person taking a shot nearby and facing the other way does not. Seriously, the golfer could distract me while riding by, I think he should hide in bushes until I'm gone….

(What Would the Ramblers Do?)

Bitch and moan about the bell ringing golfists?

Keva
    Free Member

heh heh… shame, could've rang up the local riding school and get them to gallop six horses down there at 25mph, see if they still stand there blocking the way, waving at everyon else to stop immediately what they are doing.

Kev

BlackDog
    Free Member

heh heh… shame, could've rang up the local riding school and get them to gallop six horses down there at 25mph, see if they still stand there blocking the way, waving at everyon else to stop immediately what they are doing.

You could have done, but I doubt very much they would take the same childish attitude.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You could have done, but I doubt very much they would take the same childish attitude.

You dont know the horse riders I do 🙂 Everyone hates golfists. FACT!

Terrydactyl

From history:-
    "Get orff my land, think of the Grouse"

From prsent times:-
    "Stop, cant you see he is taking a shot, this is golf you know"

SiB
    Free Member

Why could the golfers not wait until 'the time was right' to play their shot, why stop the flow of a rider on a public bridleway who has gathered momentum and having fun in a public place. Thats golfers for you though – too many think they are better than everyone else especially the kinds who are menbers of private clubs.

Why were the spectators not on the course?

Well done Terrydactyl, shout 'hello' very loudly next time as you slide towards spectators showering them with bridleway debris. And count me in.

Yes, would be polite to stop but equally polite for spectators to make way to let riders past without tutting or make judgements on cyclists.

Big horn on bike next time TerryD if you ask me and honk it at the top of backswing

Used to play alot of golf, had to stop due to the snobiness of it all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thats golfers for you though – too many think they are better than everyone else especially the kinds who are menbers of private clubs

…..Poor boy with chip on shoulder alert….

allthepies
    Free Member

OP sounds like a reet @rse.

BlackDog
    Free Member

SiB I'm a member of a private club, I was born and brought up in a housing scheme in glasgow and worked hard to made enough money to enjoy nice things. I don't think I'm better than anyone, but to be honest after reading your post I think I could make an exception.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyway back to the important stuff, are you allowed to wear untailored shorts?

SiB
    Free Member

Gary M – not at all. Was a member of a golf club which is home of Stableford, expensive but not up there with the 'elite' courses. Was a member for 4 years and each year it was harder to renew membership due to the other members attitudes to the 'lowlife' and 'pondlife' (their words, not mine) that used to walk on a public footpath nearby, or anybody that wasn't a member of their club. So much snobbery and elitism by middle/upper class t*ssers. OK, so the club might be a one off with its members attitudes but I think not.

I now get clubs out about a dozen times a year and play on the municipal with the above mentioned 'lowlife' and have a scream, nothing to do with poor boy or chip on shoulder. If a cyclist were to try and put me off mid swing some light hearted banter would follow ended by a 'have fun'.

SiB
    Free Member

BlackDog – you are sooooooo much better than me, I cant deny it. You've broken away from your working class roots and now rubbing shoulders with the tailored short brigade and 'my clubs are better than yours' crew. I'm allowed to wear jeans on the golf course now, are you??!! 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah poor old SiB got picked on by the nasty rich men.

SiB
    Free Member

Gary M…..I dont think I was picked on as such by the nasty rich men but they certainly looked at me down their noses when I turned up in my ok respectable car and parked it next to the Captains reserved car parking space (wtf is all that about?)amongst lots of top of the range cars and dare I say it, with stubble on my face.

I'm actually all for the game,but i'm pretty sure alot of promising youngsters (who could ultimately be the next TW) are put off by the cost these private clubs can charge and the snobbery of alot (not all) of the members (unless they are the son/daughter of a member of course).

GOLF…….gentlemen only ladies forbidden….maybe not the case these days but I think it says it all?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lets be honest, MTBers are an elitist bunch too laughing at BSOs and people turning up at trail centres in the wrong kit. In fact its gone so far it's turned around and now its cool to laugh at the guys turning up in the right gear 😀

BlackDog
    Free Member

SiB I would imagine it was your attitude and inverse snobbery people were averse to rather than the car you were driving. You do sound very bitter.

grumm
    Free Member

Golf is different in Scotland. In England it's mostly done by poncy ****.

SiB
    Free Member

BD……I'm not bitter in the slightest, a tad jealous over some of their cars mind!! My step dad is ex-captain there and it has me in stitches when the red tails go on and they take days to elect new captain…..but then again it keeps the retired old'uns in a social circle. I kind of kept myself to myself and believe it or not I can adapt to different situations like I had to infront of these snobs – are you saying that if I had acted like they were then I would be accepted in the world of private golf clubs? Do you go around pretending to be someone/thing that you aren't so that you will be accepted? My attitude was impecable for the surroundings (it was an honour to be a member of the club initially)and I certainly didnt show my feelings towards snobbery. My face (unshaven!) or attitude didnt fit with theirs……and I'm so glad it didn't, wouldn't want to be a part of that way of life, despise snobs and folk who think they are.

When the Open was at Royal LIverpool in Hoylake I was lucky enough to part of the working crew and got very close to the pro's…..all of which seemed very 'ordinary' and down to earth unlike the memebers of private golf clubs. Maybe I just picked the wrong club to join hey? So i am speaking from experience…..maybe a bad one!

Grumm says it all perfectly.

BoardinBob

I've seen more **** rules on a MTB club website than anything you'd find in a golf club

duntmatter
    Free Member

The phrase 'chip on shoulder' is often used by some people. (Trying desperately not to sound bitter in case I'm rejected by people who hit balls with clubs.)

Wouldn't it be funny if Lego was the aspirational social networking activity that golf is?

Terrydactyl – I think by not stopping you essentially said 'the Emperor has no clothes on'. Some people don't like their illusions punctured.

Not that mountain bikers are all saints.

DrP

This thread has made me turn my computer off… i'm off to do the washing up.

I just don't get this place sometimes!

DrP

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Was I right?’ is closed to new replies.