Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Was I just hit by lightning?
  • fatmountain
    Free Member

I was driving down the road after buying some beers from Tesco – residential quiet road with detached houses – heard a weird pop and saw a sort of plasma blue flash in in the rear view window. No thunder that I heard. It was so bizarre I was going to flag the mini down behind me to see what he/she saw, just drove home instead. Car seems fine! Any ideas? It’s very strange. Definitely wasn’t normal lighting in the sky.

Rubber_Buccaneer

heard a weird pop and saw a sort of plasma blue flash

I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcar

perchypanther
    Free Member

Aliens innit.

Your arse’ll be stinging in the morning

martinhutch

Detached houses you say? That changes my answer..

coconut
    Free Member

beers in the car too..makes you wonder.

cbike
    Free Member

Could be Ball lightning? Its weird stuff. Saw it in France once associated with a thunder storm. Multiple balls of plasma forming in and under clouds and staying for ages. They have been seen at various levels.

Caher

You were tasered, but failed to stop.

fatmountain
    Free Member

cbike: I’ve seen that twice before and was thinking the same thing. Sailors called it St Elmo’s Fire. Really weird. I wished I stopped that mini now to see that it looked like from their perspective.

Cougar

heard a weird pop and saw a sort of plasma blue flash in in the rear view window.

How far above the speed limit were you at the time?

scaredypants

Could be Ball lightning?

wearing nylon shorts on the way home from a curry ?

Caher

Ah the Delorean.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Cougar, I drive like a saint. Below the speed limit and no speed cameras anyway.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Er, I think Cougar suspected flux capacitor activation rather than a GATSO

matt_outandabout

heard a weird pop and saw a sort of plasma blue flash in in the rear view window.

As long as you didn’t follow through, it’s not a shart.

hunta

Does sound a bit like St Elmo’s fire. My dad was an RAF pilot, and used to see it round the cockpit when flying in thunderstorms.

I don’t understand physics though so I also like the nylon shorts theory.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe you died and the afterlife is just the stw forum?

ransos
    Free Member

I was driving down the road after buying some beers from Tesco – residential quiet road with detached houses –

Strange that the incident didn’t give you a semi.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Didn’t happen till your mum walked past.

funkmasterp

Have you checked that you’re still in the same year as you were yesterday?

krixmeister

Overhead power lines arcing? Not sure about here in the UK, but is a common occurance where I grew up in Texas. Lines (neighborhood power, not high voltage) brush up against a tree branch or similar in high winds, and arc and pop as you drescribe.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Could be a pole top transformer* going pop.

That would give you precisely that effect. I saw it happen recently.

*Dunno the technical name

MoreCashThanDash

Maybe you died and the afterlife is just the stw forum?

There is a hell, after all….

nickc

wearing nylon shorts on the way home from a curry ?

Couldn’t have been, shorts not allowed

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was in a church once sheltering from a storm on a cycle tour when it got hit by lightning – it was really clear what had happened but I’m damned if I could describe it to you clearly. We just sort of knew. Everything went white and there was a bit of a sound, but that might have been because the church was so echoy.

kayak23

Everything went white and there was a bit of a sound, but that might have been because the church was so echoy. we had displeased the gods.

Ftfy

pondo

I was once stood about a hundred yards from a tree when it got struck – what I remember most clearly was that I was cowering on the ground before I had even recognised that there was a very loud bang and realised what it was. It was loud…

martinhutch

Everything went white and there was a bit of a sound, but that might have been because we had displeased the gods.

The normal ‘burst into flames’ on the Church threshold defence mechanism must’ve been on the blink.

fooman

I’ve been in a car struck by lightning, the flash and bang were simultaneous and it was loud. This was on a freeway in Texas, it was not raining but you could see the clouds and lightning.

Flaperon

I imagine you’d know if the car was struck. It’s loud. You could have a look over the top to see if you can find any small burn marks from the lightning entry / exit points.

Was standing on the other side of the road from a lightning strike a few years ago. Was deafened for a few minutes and the sheer power of it was jaw-dropping. Purple flash (you could almost taste it, even if that sounds an idiotic thing to say) and the ground shook.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Today’s random lightning fact of the day.

The temperature increase in the aluminium conduction tape of a buildings lightning protection system during a lightning strike is approximately 0.3 degrees C.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Hmm interesting points. I think I was under some overhead lines.

jonjones262
    Free Member

are you taking your Teenage Mother to the Enchantment under the Sea dance tonight?

cheburashka
    Free Member

Were you doing 88 miles per hour?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Our house was struck two nights ago. Fried the alarm system (it hit the outside bell) and the thunder clap made the patio doors flex about an inch, im amazed they didnt shatter. It was one hell of a bang.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Was SaxonRider giving you a lift back from a Joe Cocker gig?

Kryton57

Was SaxonRider giving you a lift back from a Joe Cocker gig?

You know he’s dead, right?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You know he’s dead, right?

What? Saxon Rider?

That is grave news indeed.

dc1988

Probably best to stay in your car if there’s lightning going on

Harry_the_Spider

Were you doing 88 miles per hour?

Merde, beat me to it!

cookeaa

There weren’t any naked people wandering about afterwards were there?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Was I just hit by lightning?’ is closed to new replies.