Was anyone on STW headboy ot headgirl at school ? Opinions

Home Forum Chat Forum Was anyone on STW headboy ot headgirl at school ? Opinions

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Was anyone on STW headboy ot headgirl at school ? Opinions
  • Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I don’t recall there ever being such a thing at my school. I’d hazard that it would’ve been a great way of singling out kids for a kicking.

We might’ve had House Captains or something like that? I don’t honestly remember now, I’ve slept since then.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Our headboy was a thug who happenend to be best at sports. He is now a bouncer and has done time for robbery. Lolz

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

I was deputy head girl.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

No, but I made it to the giddy heights of Swimming Captain. But that year the bottom of the pool fell out and there was no swimming.

plyphon

The head boy of the year above me was a well-known “drug dealer” (in quotations as he was only as much of a drug dealer as a 15/16 year old could ever be)

And the head boy of our year wasn’t really a dork but was a bit “daddys credit card”. I don’t think I can mention a single thing he ever did though as head boy.

Prefects were just cheap labour. They were the proper dorks.

I think it might help college or Uni applications if you’re applying to the type of place that would take that thing seriously.

I was Quidditch Captain for Ravenclaw.

We had a head girl but I don’t think she was officially appointed, it was more of a hobby for her.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

I was Deputy House Captain of Malthus house.

Go me!!

bikebouy

I was a Head Bouy.

Wasn’t anything more than show newbs around, loos, rest room, gym, staff room, headmasters office, reception and stuff.
    Occasional speech at New Term or End of Term, mainly focussing on Sporting or Literary achievements of pupils.
    Occasionally brought into offer advice on problem learning kids, or kids that have been picked on, was more a mentoring thing than anything else.
    I sailed a lot a school, so ended up supervising the lessons and organising pupils and kit.

Didn’t clash with anyone, no bullies annoyed me, got a few hangers on but mainly they would have stuck to a sticky blanket being so inclined. Had an influence on the Preppies and Nerds though, mainly Preppies and the Cheerleaders Obvz. Nerds tended to want insight to curriculum and where to focus, not that I knew but it was a question always raised at start to term.. suspect the question came from their parents and they were the foil. Preppies, well I was a Preppie at school so it was just a group of mates really.. always invited to house parties and did seem to carry a certain “gravitas” (Yuk, what a crappy term) with the position.

Nominations went up each year, I went for it in my first year and carried it through to the 5th semester.

Think of it as “helping hand” unless you are talking about Eton or some such other old boys penal colony.

FunkyDunc

Depends on the school I guess.

It’s a way of giving a talented kid experience of leadership.

Partly a CV thing, partly learning and development

yunki

We didn’t have such things at our comp.

Plenty of fights between the Irish gypsy boys to try to discover which of them was top dog, if that’s the same sort of thing?

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

no, but my Daughter was Head Girl of Dumbar Grammar, about 6 yrs ago. Was a good skive for her, she met a few politicians and the like, had to make a few speeches at end of year prizegivings and stuff.

Didn’t do her any harm as she moved on, and through, University.

Jakester

I “interviewed” with the headmaster for it. He asked why I thought I should be considered when I’d been caught smoking. I’d never smoked a day in my life – clearly a case of mistaken identity. Not sure whether I therefore was considered because he thought I was someone else, or in spite of it…

They introduced them at one school i was at, trying to emulate the local catholic school i think.

Head boy and head girl. Lunchtime Prefects as well.
    Lasted 2 years, first year they were all selected by the teachers, spent most of the year being targets for assault and many “pranks” (Less vicious assaults) second year we had school elections, resulted in voting for the popular and/or sporty kids. Much as howsyourdad1. One that i know of went to a YOI half way through the year, another expelled and two or three were suspended (fighting/drugs/the usual). Hardly surprising really. One even got caught shagging a teacher.

They did away with the whole thing at the end of that year and went back to being a shitty comprehensive.

One of them was sent down recently for running a brothel/drug dealing.
    Not his first run in with the law, or prison.

That school was ace. Really.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Depends on the school..

Definitely. None of that stuff at my old school, but my son’s has Prefects, Headboys, Headgirls, all sorts of fancy badges for their blazers. It’s called a “College” too, but it’s a comprehensive really.

oldbloke

Yup. I did lots of sports and other stuff in and out of school so something must have counted towards whatever behind closed doors discussions the teachers had. Was never quite sure what counted.

Seemed to be a way of attracting more work on school events and leaving a greater catalogue of (now) embarrassing photos for public consumption.

But it did make a difference in what employers assumed about me in the first couple of jobs I had.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I don’t even remember our school having perfects, or house captains (fairly sure we didn’t even have houses). I think it’s a relatively modern thing state schools have adopted – though I’ve missed the headteacher’s talk at the open evenings I’ve been to, so not sure how much it’s been pushed as a thing.

stumpy01

I was a prefect at our school. Can’t remember what it entailed exactly but it was alright. Bit more responsibility perhaps & ‘representing the school’ at things like open evenings, parents evenings etc.
    We had quite a mix of people who were prefects & head boy/girl. I don’t remember it being solely the preserve of the nerdy geeks.

avdave2

A role only a person who would have happily informed for the Stasi would take 🙂

doris5000

i went to a comp.

we did have head boy/girl but it basically involved wearing a different coloured jumper.

bikebouy’s school sounds like a different world!

mefty

A role only a person who would have happily informed for the Stasi would take

Quite the reverse in my case, key competence was learning the art of a cover up whilst ensuring there was a firewall!

AdamW

I was head boy at my school. Didn’t mean that much, had a badge for it, had to join in stupid religious stuff (they tried to make me do communion and I told them to get lost) but also did some good bits: helping with talking newspapers and a few other community things.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

I was very important at primary school, I must’ve been, I always got a desk to myself…

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

doris5000 wrote:

bikebouy’s school sounds like a different world!

I was expecting bikebouy to start discussing fagging.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    I was very important at primary school, I must’ve been, I always got a desk to myself… right out at the front, beside the teacher, away from my pals
    FTFY 🙂

Nobeer went to a good school. It must have been good. It was Approved.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

That was the suggestion Iain, but as ever, you need the whole lot spelt out to you, Gwurk is right about you… 😆

unfitgeezer

Having just been round a few secondary schools for open evenings, the heads have had great pleasure introducing headboy/girls.

It’s so old fashioned, remembering from when I was at school it was almost always the dorks ! ( my best friend was HB he wasn’t a dork though)

What’s the point ? It just smug mode for Cvs

Thoughts?

mefty

I was expecting bikebouy to start discussing fagging.

Nah, sounds far too new age for that, you will have to look to others for such discussions.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I did hold the record for the most house points in a week though.

Was Captain of House, which meant running/leading the house teams across sports.

Was also a member of the school First XV, which afforded me all of the privileges of a prefect/head boy with none of the responsibility or work. Which was nice.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

perchypanther – Member
    Nobeer went to a good school. It must have been good. It was Approved.

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That was the suggestion Iain, but as ever, you need the whole lot spelt out to you, Gwurk is right about you… 😀

…. aye, but which bit though ? 🙂

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I went to a West Yorkshire Grammar School and we didn’t have anything remotely like that. No prefects or heads, no houses or anything like that. All comes across as a bit odd to me. Not sure why though.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

(fairly sure we didn’t even have houses). I think it’s a relatively modern thing state schools have adopted

We definitely had houses, this was in the mid 80s. Named after local hills. Actually, that’s probably a thread in itself.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

No head kids or prefects at my schools. My secondary in Leicester didn’t even have a uniform. But when I moved to Halifax I had to wear a uniform which I thought was better.
    I’d never have made head boy anyway as I was rarely there. 🙄

I did realise I was a **** in later life and eventually got qualifications and a career.

bikebouy

I was schooled in an ExPat school in the USA….

Says a lot.

Premier Icon gallowayboy
    Subscriber

I went to a rural scottish comp, but it had ideas way above its station. There was a head girl/head boy, deputies an prefects. These were voted for by the sixth year pupils but the result was generally ignored and a farmers son/daughter combo were appointed as heads, prefects were, lets see – ah, mostly farmers sons/daughters.
    Every day had assembly in the hall, sixth year sat on the stage above the other years, rabble at the back prefects at the front. We all stood up, the RECTOR (no humble head was he) walked on, surveyed the scene, then when he sat (often with a “humerous” false start) we all sat. By which time several of the prefects chairs had been removed (by the rabble)leading to a frantic scramble to not be the prefects left standing.
    Why we had to ape public school behaviour defeats me – ritualised corporal punishment was also the norm.

PJM1974

In my humble experience of being at school at a secondary modern in the UK and an old fashioned semi-public school overseas during the 1980s was that prefects and head pupils were chosen according to their capacity for dodging responsibilities and smoking weed in the toilets (UK) and for their absence of imagination and interpretation of the rules (overseas).

I was never prefect material, but somehow I manage to hold down a proper, grown up managerial job.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

my school desperately wanted to be a public school, we had Latin lessons, a cloistered courtyard,the teachers wore gowns, and the most ridiculously weapons grade method of hierarchy. Our ties were the choice of the Head for marking us out, they had various colours and emblems which instantly identified you for either belonging/not belonging. (sports teams mostly)

the head boy was chosen from the select few with the right tie so it was self perpetuating feudal nightmare.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Head boy – prep (tick) – peaked then
    Head of House and Cpn 1XV – secured Uni offers (not taken, as wanted to play golf instead)
    The good old days 😉

Today it seems that Head Boy etc is a negative in Uni application forms. Seen several HB and HGs get no offers despite being outstanding candidates. Reverse discrimination setting in.

DEp Head was worst role – all the work without the glory!!

We had one v obvious candidate for HB – head and shoulders above anyone else, mature, commanding presence, Oxbridge, First XV, stupidly good looking, respected by all – but they chose a non-entity instead – “who” – to make a change. It was a disaster.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.