Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Warranty job or my own fault?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Not so long ago I took my Giant Trance X ’09 to the shop where I got it to get the pivot bearings replaced. While I was there I told the mechanic about a problem I had with the rear wheel going out of alignment. He had a quick look at it and said that the dropouts were worn and that it was my own fault and that I probably hadn’t had the quick release tight enough. I asked if they would check to see if the back end was bent which they did and said it was fine and that I would have to buy a new one to fix it. The frame has a 5 year warranty and I don’t think it’s my fault. Has anyone had this problem and how did you go about sorting it?

thepodge
    Free Member

sounds like user error.

scaredypants

could somebody clag on a bit of weld for you & then you file it down to size ?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    could somebody clag on a bit of weld for you & then you file it down to size ?

I was wondering that myself. Aren’t the dropouts Aluminium though? Would it work?

large418
    Free Member

Worn dropouts can only be down to the skewer nuts moving. Do you do the skewer up then close it, or close the skewer and then do it up?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I do the skewer up then close it. Is that good or bad?

MarkyG82

I’d get a second opinion from another registered giant dealer. Sounds to me that you know how to use a QR and user error is all but out the window. You would notice quite quickly riding on a loose wheel.

Sounds like the shop CBA to organise for warranty replacement which they shouldn’t even have to pay for.

Go ahead and fight your corner 🙂

bommer
    Free Member

swingarm may not be covered under frame warranty, some manufacturers class them as a component; giving you a 1 or 2 year warranty at most

tomaso
    Free Member

I wore the inside faces of the drop outs away on my Reign due to continuing to ride when it ‘felt a bit’ stiff and the bearings had siezed and the axle was rotating or boring out the frame 😯

Penny washers and it’ll be alright 😉

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think I’ve figured out what was happening and have fixed it. I’ve noticed that the removable dropout on the drive side had moved ever so slightly in it’s mounting due to pedalling forces so I’ve filled the small gap with chemical metal and tightened it up. Everything seems to be back to normal now. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Warranty job or my own fault?’ is closed to new replies.