Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Warranty experiences – dents in the frame
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Iirc SC & Intense frames are not alligned straight as it’s something to do with the suss design where it’s offloaded to the non driveside then straitens out under compression.

singlesteed – I’m going to throw you a lifeline here. Grab it, and put it all down to a wee bit of misunderstanding.

From Santa Cruz’s FAQ on the Blur XCc

Right so I guess the closest you have got to one is the Internet. The rear stays are asymmetric and look different, this is designed. They are however straight, the wheel sits straight in them with no compression.

dans160
    Free Member

4 intense frames so far with one being on the piss. Loved them all. My SS1 is still going strong after 5 years with no dents…! Not sure how I have managed that but then there are not that many rocks round these parts. It’s also good to see that after 5 years all the other manufacturers have started using a similar geo for their enduro frames.

Stevet1
    Free Member

OP – Just tap it out, whats the worst that can happen?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Whilst you don’t have warranty claim aginst intense (on the technicality that it’s your fault.) if you can locate, and serve a writ on, the stones that actually hit the tube you may be able to take them to small claims court.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you can locate and serve a writ on the stones that actually hit the tube you may be able to take them to small claims court.

The stones are laughing at that one

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think you’ll have more success on the owner of the stones using the “Mountain not fit for purpose” clause.

tomaso
    Free Member

A section of tyre zip tied to down tube works well.

woody74

Well we all agree that its mountain biking and parts get dented / scratched etc. However it does raise a point to an extent.

Is an iPhone fit for purpose when the anodised back scratches so easily in your pocket and therefore nearly everyone uses a case that then hides the design that Apple have so say spent so much time on
    Is car paint fit for purpose when it scratches so easily in normal day to day use and is so costly to get fixed.
    Are plastic road cleats fit purpose when they wear out with only small amounts of walking around.
    Even are the paint jobs that many mountain bikes have fit for purposes when they scratch and chip so easily and everyone knows mountain biking is a harsh environment.

When you think about it, it is amazing how many products are not actually designed to survive and keep looking good when they are just being used normally. I think we all agree that things wear out and there is a balance between cost, weight and durability but there does seem to be lots of products that look tatty very very quickly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you get to choose, you get to inspect the product and determine if the compromises in the design are acceptable to you. It’s simple the customer must decide if the product is acceptable to them.

amedias
    Free Member

But does their tattyness impede their function?

If the paint flakes or falls off you might have a point as that would be a defect, but getting scratched and chipped when things hit it, not so much. Besides, I like the battle scars 🙂

As far as an Alu frame for example, it really is a cosmetic layer, you could just as easily leave it in it’s natural/oxidised state.

All of the above you’ve mentioned are just normal wear and tear really, the cleats one isn’t fair as walking on them is not their intended purpose.

woody74

I know that the customer has a choice to inspect and decided if the product is acceptable and I agree that tattyness does not impede their function but it is still a product that does not survive well in the environment that it is designed for. Of course there is a balance between durability and design but how many bikes are powered coated which is much tougher or even use special paints to stop them looking good for longer. Remember the Marin’s back in the day with there rubbery paint. I don’t expect a product to look good for years and years but you do hope it will carry on looking good for some time.

We wouldn’t be happy if clothes started looking crap after a few washes.

I guess it is manufactures making a product that looks the best in the showroom to get the sale but then to do this compromising on the longer term cosmetic durability.

I disagree with the plastic cleat example as its impossible really not to walk on cleats at some time. How else do you get to your bike / get on and off your bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I disagree with the plastic cleat example as its impossible really not to walk on cleats at some time. How else do you get to your bike / get on and off your bike.

You get the sock things, walk on heels, put them on at the bike and leave the other shoes – electric garage doors.
    Performance vs Longevity is the biggest balance in the industry

amedias
    Free Member

But they’ve not been designed for it, it is not their intended use so you can’t knock them for it.

They’re designed to do the cleaty thing while riding, some might argue for performace/race applications only?

If you need a clip in system that is more resilient to walking around others are available that have taken that as part of the design requirement.

It would be like complaining that super tacky rubber tyres wear out too fast on the road, and you have to ride to the trails, well in that case a super tacky tyre isn’t for you!

ampthill

I think a simple non controversial solution to rock impacts would be to contact Derbyshire County Council and ask them to resurface the route. I think most rail users prefer a well groomed trail that will reduce or eleminate the risk of frame damage

jimjam
    Free Member

woody74

Metal cleats exist. If you don’t need race equipment, don’t buy race equipment then make the point that it’s not fit for something other than it’s intended purpose.

Intense frames are well known for being light. It’s one of their main selling points. If they used thicker tubing and/or thicker paint they wouldn’t be light, they’d just be expensive. They probably wouldn’t dent so easily, they wouldn’t crack as much either but they probably wouldn’t pass the all important shop floor lift test which we all know is the absolute critical determining factor when it comes to buying a bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Warranty experiences – dents in the frame’ is closed to new replies.