• This topic has 48 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Warranty claims – would you be happy with this result?
  • rockandrollmark

Honestly it sounds like everyone’s acted pretty reasonably. Shop told you they can’t do anything now, but gave you goodwill on the labour to get you going (charged you for materials) and then reclaimed it from the manufacturer (You wouldn’t expect them to work for free). It was your call (and a good call at that) to drop $300 on a new hub, and at that price I guess it’s a snazzy one compared to the one that failed on you.

So you spent $400 but have $90 in credit against that – so really you’ve only “spent” $310 – I’d look at that as being “You got the wheel built onto the hub that you wanted for $10” = bargain. Obviously you have to apply a degree of man-maths to arrive at that figure. At least you’re riding!

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m amazed you blew a drive ring thread out before you broke any pawls!
    The drive ring is put in a situation of tightening torque under load, so you must be putting out the watts to strip it. big watts over 20degree engagement = impact driver I guess. Or massively uneven spoke tension to ovalize the threaded shell?
    Either way 370’s can go forever so it’s not necessarily an inherent design flaw

IIRC you’re in Vancouver.
    Canadas consumer rights laws are quite poor compared to the uk. Outside 30days, the retailer has no obligation, its all with the manufacturer and even then as an agent, the retailer can charge you a processing fee to handle a warranty claim. Your bike warranty also likely states that they do not cover labour to replace replacement parts.
    You may wish to look up expressed warranty vs implied warranty. This is the only recourse you have.
    Implied warranty is the reasonable time that products must be fit for the purposes for which they are sold.
    However, in your case, DT swiss would probably have got a hub out to you pretty quickly, but as the shop aren’t obligated to resolve your manufacturer issue, did they reach out to anyone beyond the bike manufacturer? OGC down on marine drive/main are the Canadian DT distributer and DT USA a 2 day UPS delivery away.
    As you still have the broken 370, I would reach out to DT swiss directly and I’m positive they will offer you a solution. Perhaps you can sell whatever solution to recover $.
    As far as being out of pocket, the shop claiming back the $100 labor is disappointing and I would raise his with them but the other hub purchase was your choice albeit you weren’t provided an alternative by your shop. 100 labor to build a wheel is also above Squamish shop rates.
    If the manufacturer could have supplied a replacement hub, it would have been a hub. rim/spokes/nips/labour etc wouldn’t have been provided for, that would be an elective replacement at your cost.

timbog160

You’re in Vancouver!? Meh – it’s nothing compared to Todmorden! It’s pronounced Todmudden btw (well it is by me anyway!)…😀

markgraylish
    Free Member

@BearBack
    Seems like getting a hub from OGC was never gonna happen. Presumably they’re currently out of stock but if they did, I would have quite gladly sold it on to recoup some costs.
    As it happens, I don’t have the bust hub anymore – not sure what the shop did with it.

I’ve read internet stories of 370’s failing as the ratchet (or ring? Dunno, I’m not a mechanic and haven’t disassembled one…) is made of steel so is a lot harder than the soft Alu hub body so can get over-torqued and strip the thread in the hub, meaning, to all intents and purposes, that a new hub is required.
    I guess that the old internals could be put inside a new hub body but that would still require a wheel re-build. I’ve even read of someone glueing the ratchet into the hub body to stop it turning…

Anyway, it’s all academic now as the warranty has been sorted and I didn’t lose too many days riding.

Not quite like the warranty experience I’ve had with Hope hubs in the past when I lived in the UK though…

argee

Have to say, never seen a freehub fail on a DT that’s written off the hub, the 370 is ratchet and pawl, so basically the same as Hope and the rest, and the drive on the hub is removable as well, hell i think you can even buy internals to turn a 370 into a 350 now, so not sure how it’s been written off unless cracket, but that would be hub, not freehub?

Back to the original bit though, reality is that warranty always seems to be hard work with bikes, and any discussion about ‘fit for purpose’ comes down to quality rather than design, so hard to prove on an item without any real provenance to assess, guessing that at this point it’s been marked as complete by the shop, and thus by the OEM, so not sure what you would do now that could push this more than the standard ‘i’m not happy with this outcome’ to your shop and see what happens?

bigfoot
    Free Member

the 370’s are crap, mine did exactly the same and stripped the threads in the hub body at just under 2 years old, took that as time to upgrade wheels as i had always planned and then forgot to try warrentying the hub. and i’m not exactly heavy or putting out a lot of power.

Aidy
    Free Member

Honestly it sounds like everyone’s acted pretty reasonably. Shop told you they can’t do anything now, but gave you goodwill on the labour to get you going (charged you for materials) and then reclaimed it from the manufacturer (You wouldn’t expect them to work for free).

I don’t know. I think if the shop phrased it that way up front, then sure – but changing the terms after they said they’d waive the labour costs isn’t on imo. $100 seems a little steep too.

I don’t think I’d be happy with shop credit either.

jblewi
    Free Member

If I am understanding correctly the shop have been credited $190 for the cost of the hub and chose to only pass on $90 to you and kept $100 for themselves?

That seems a bit off to me!

They should have charged you labor to start with or waived it entirely, this would be what I would have done (waived the labor entirely) but they have taken that out of your pocket anyway after saying they wouldn’t no?

Bike shop employee in Canada for reference.

Tim
    Free Member

Seems reasonable.

You didn’t need to spend 300 on a hub and that meant it was a new build so the warranty won’t cover those costs.

The warranty would be the original replacement parts + associated labour costs.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Warranty claims – would you be happy with this result?’ is closed to new replies.