Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 276 total)
  • Warning – unsolicited video download from STW ads can cost you money!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, a guide to data consumption when it’s working properly would be nice.

Also what’s the measure of popularity on epic? If it’s click through that could just be people trying to shut it up. At this point I feel old…

anagallis_arvensis

Enjoy the rugby at the weekend?

There’s a thread for Rugby.

jekkyl

have to admit after my moaning I did click it for the snowdonia video and found it enjoyable. 😳

*ducks*

londonerinoz
    Free Member

That seems like an entirely reasonable response Mark and it’s good to see some acknowledgement recognising it as being an issue for some.

For everyone else I don’t think I’m affected, my concern was for those who were. I invariably browse via my phone even when I’m on my home broadband so I don’t think I’ve even seen it.

Out of interest though, I experience the screen going blank when trying to load a thread and then reloading far more frequently these days. Is that likely to be influenced by the ads or just browsing a UK site from Australia? I don’t get anywhere near my advertised download speed, more like 1-3 (can’t remember the standard units), which can be pretty marginal for video playback anyway.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dofts Cap to Mark..

Ta
    Very
    Muchly
    😉

franksinatra

I’m confused. Who are we angry with now? Cougar, Mark, Epic TV, STW or Perthmtb?

When do we get to blame Hora?

Mark

Changes now made.

The EpicTV player will autoplay on the first two pages only per session/visit. After that it will sit there waiting for you to hit the play button. This doesn’t preclude the instance that you may leave a browser window open on either of the first two page visits but we have a fix for that but we can’t implement it until monday now.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

I’m confused. Who are we angry with now? Cougar, Mark, Epic TV, STW or Perthmtb?

When do we get to blame Hora?

Someone wants to blame the aussies’ I think but am not 100% sure.

I liked the vids but perhaps they ought to be on a different tab? or embedded on a sticky thread?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

not really.

it’s the webdev’s responsibility to ensure that sites don’t cause inadvertent unethical use of paid-for connections.

I don’t think i’ve seen so much hand wringing from people who should know better before.

All this talk of “unethical”, “unsolicited” etc is laughable.

If you’ve got a potentially fuel hungry car you should either fill it full or be careful how you drive. This is the same thing.

Just because you don’t understand or think you know what you’re doing is no excuse for not taking measures to preserve your data usage, especially if you’re using a tethered connection.

I’m glad Mark and the STW have made the changes as it was badly implemented before, but most of the content on this thread is ridiculous. I’m going to flounce now and have a beer, ta ta 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

to correct your analogy, whatnobeer, it’s more like having a fuel hungry car, but knowing full well to go easy on the noisy pedal. Then finding out some underhand cad has been swinging underneath your chassis drilling holes in your fuel tank.

No one disputes the idea that you manage your downloads if it’s metered, but having your connection reamed to the tune of 2Gb by an unsolicited bandwidth thief is poor form and takes responsibility away from the user to to the hoster.

scotroutes

It’s even funnier when lots of the complainers are whinging just because they might get caught out using their companies resources for personal web browsing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you don’t like the tone of my responses so far, I’d wager you’re really not going to like the tone of the one I’d like to give you right now, because frankly I’m spitting feathers.

Well it made me chuckle

crikey
    Free Member

I do know that if I worked in that magical land of IT, and I found that some one being paid to work was also spending time on STW, I’d be making very, very sure that they didn’t get paid for the time they spent here, and then I’d make sure that they never even looked at it again.

I work 12 hour shifts, and most days, I get a total of 30 minutes break over the entire 12 hours.

Then I read about the lack of productivity in the UK…

Northwind

zokes – Member

That’s it, carry on antagonising the customers…

We’re not Cougar’s customers, the mods here make it possible for the site to run, and I suspect they do it for free. So how about don’t be a ****. You might always like them but you need them in order to keep on using this free and excellent resource. Customers 🙄 I’m a customer of the mag and a leech of the forum.

That said the Epic TV adverts pissed me off too, my connection’s not fast and it took me a while to realise that the reason my internet’s running so slow is because of the tiny little window in the sidebar that could probably be done with a millionth of the bandwidth. So just gone in and switched all the ads off which I’ve never been irritated enough to do before. I’m sure the other advertisers will be well chuffed 😉

DrJ

you need them in order to keep on using this free and excellent resource. Customers I’m a customer of the mag and a leech of the forum.

Is it free? Suppose the ads delivered to you by Google started consuming large chunks of your system resources – would you be happy with that, too?

Jamie
    Free Member

and I suspect they do it for free

Nah, they get to keep all the stuff from Fresh Good Fridays.

slackalice
    Free Member

Strikes me that the original alert by perthmtb deserves some gratitude and recognition by members, users, hosters, modders and anyone else adversely or otherwise, affected by the issue. It’s good to also recognise how quickly and seriously the issue has been dealt with to what seems like a best fit compromise.

It’s been rather entertaining catching up on this one this evening, in amongst some very entertaining flounces, there’s been an awful lot of willy waving too. The testosterone was palpable about pages 3 & 4 IIRC, it’s kinda easing in the last couple, which has got to be a good thing. Boys eh? 😕

Just one question, given that the issue was identified by perthmtb and he has now decided to flounce off, only to return maybe when it’s all sorted. How will he get to know? 😉

darrell
    Free Member

some kind soul will tell him

unless the rest of us have flounced off as well

slackalice
    Free Member

I don’t think ‘souls’ are allowed to exist around here 😉

zokes
    Free Member

There’s a thread for Rugby.

I’ll take that as a “no” then 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Slack alive beat me to it.

I think perthmtb did a good thing in raising this as others may be affected and incur costs.

Mark responded very swiftly and in a very pragmatic way, looking after us and the advertisers.

I hadn’t noticed the problem as I’m unlimited BB, or I browse on my ipad or phone. But once I heard of this it explained why things slowed down on my laptop as stw is one of my always open tabs. So it annoyed me.

So good on ya both 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

We’re not Cougar’s customers, the mods here make it possible for the site to run, and I suspect they do it for free. So how about don’t be a ****. You might always like them but you need them in order to keep on using this free and excellent resource. Customers I’m a customer of the mag and a leech of the forum.

No, we are Cougar’s customers. Whether he’s paid or not matters not one jot, by being a moderator of the forum, he is associated with the company. Thus, his (in my and several others’ opinions) poor attitude on this occasion reflect on that company. Mark has said previously that the forum (or more correctly, its advertising) brings in a large proportion of STW’s income, if not the majority. How does it do that? Advertising.

If a moderator (volunteer or otherwise) acting apparently on the behalf of the company antagonises visitors to that forum, viewer numbers may go down, and consequently income from advertising will decrease.

Northwind

zokes – Member

If a moderator (volunteer or otherwise) acting apparently on the behalf of the company antagonises visitors to that forum, viewer numbers may go down, and consequently income from advertising will decrease.

Yup, and that’s something for STW/Gofar to worry about, it still doesn’t make you his customer.

zokes
    Free Member

it still doesn’t make you his customer.

They are providing a service, in the hope that a) I buy something directly from them, b) that I click through one of the adverts, or at the very least c) appear as a usage statistic so that they can negotiate higher rates for those adverts. That makes me their customer. As Cougar is acting on their behalf to run the forum, that makes me his customer also.

Northwind

User =/ customer. But you go on acting like the forum owes you something, see how you get on. I prefer to acknowledge the debt we owe to the mods, personally.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well I hope nobody wants to buy anything from him tonight. He’s hung up the sign on the door and gone fishin’. 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

No, we are Cougar’s customers.

What exactly is he selling us?
    As far as I can see he give sup his own personal time so we can have this on the cheap because of freeloaders who dont pay the P but will happily take it with moans of being a customer.

Whether he’s paid or not matters not one jot, by being a moderator of the forum, he is associated with the company.

SO whether you are an actual employee does not matter as long as you are associated. MLEH

Thus, his (in my and several others’ opinions) poor attitude on this occasion reflect on that company.

Doe snot reflect well on forum users tbh who are getting a semi at the chance to moan at one of only two public moderators…its not wonder they dont say who they are. he was trying to help whether he did or not is another matter but, given the shitty reaction, he wont make that mistake again. Happy?

Indeed IF
    How on earth could anyone moderator this shower without antagonising someone ..its like herding cats but unhappy moody ones.
    For example , I subscribe and have no issue with what he has done and said and think some folk just get off on moaning at the mods whenever they get the opportunity. It made me chuckle tbh.

As Cougar is acting on their behalf to run the forum, that makes me his customer also.

Possibly – how would you suggest a moderator keeps every single user of this forum happy?

Personally I respect the public mods but reactions like this show why the rest hide anonymously amongst us.

I find it rather amusing that you wish to argue that your use of this site for free gives you the privileges of being a customer and that they will treat you as such.

Good luck with that

Mark

Zokes, you are not, by any reasonable definition, a customer of Cougar. Or me for what it’s worth.
    Being a customer involves the transfer of currency from one party to the other and in your case I gave up on that dream a long time ago.
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Basically you are a user and you are free to take your custom elsewhere 😛

iain1775
    Free Member

Not read all 6 pages but when did this advert first appear?
    Wasn’t late December / early Jan by any chance was it?

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes, you are not, by any reasonable definition, a customer of Cougar. Or me for what it’s worth.
    Being a customer involves the transfer of currency from one party to the other and in your case I gave up on that dream a long time ago.

Funny, when I was in the UK I was a subscriber to the magazine for over two years, then despite attempting to renew twice (on both occasions my form had apparently been lost), I continued to buy the mag whenever I saw it in my LBS. I’m actually wearing an STW T-shirt now.

Since then I’ve obviously moved to Oz, so its prevalence in shops is somewhat limited. I could try and subscribe again I suppose, but seeing as getting the mag all the way from Todmorden to Belmont seemed to be problematic, I don’t fancy the chances of it making it all the way to Adelaide 😉

So, by your narrow definition, it seems I have been a customer of your company on several occasions. As Cougar represents your company when he posts as a moderator on your company’s web forum, that makes me his customer also.

user-removed
    Free Member

Pah! I don’t see no blue P next yo name beeyatch.

This thread is an encapsulated microcosm of everything I love, hate and feel indifferent about stw.

Mark

No Zokes, it really, really doesn’t. Honestly, you are not Cougar’s customer and neither are you mine. I’m not making this up. Ask him for a refund. See what happens.
    🙂

Drac

Regardless either way as being obnoxious or abusive is not a right a customer has. Cougar was being honest and up front with the issues, as an IT bod he has a better understanding of how these things should work.

Perthmtb was right to raise the issue, STW has addressed it but people need to be also responsible for their own usage. Many places now use automatic videos or image heavy pages. If you don’t monitor your usage on a low bandwidth plan you’ll get caught out one day.

zokes
    Free Member

No Zokes, it really, really doesn’t. Honestly, you are not Cougar’s customer and neither are you mine. I’m not making this up. Ask him for a refund. See what happens.

By reading and posting on here, all users consume the product STW provides i.e. the forum. We pay by providing a user-base large enough for you to draw significant advertising revenue. Just like watching ITV or Channel 4 really.

Additionally, as I stated above, unless I dreamt it and all those magazines at the back of my wardrobe are MBUK, I did used to buy the magazine regularly when I lived where it was easily available.

Regardless either way as being obnoxious or abusive is not a right a customer has.

I’m being neither. I’m disagreeing with you – that is a right I or anyone else has.

yossarian
    Free Member

I do like a good read with my morning coffee.

I can’t see where cougar has gone wrong other than trying to help and then getting a bit pissed off when some posters decided to ride him.

You are only a customer if you actually buy something. Most people on here are just users. There is a fundamental difference. The rest of the bollocks is entirely predictable whining from people with sand in their fannies.

allthepies
    Free Member

He doesn’t give refunds either ?

The cad.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll happily buy a sub if Zokes could be disappeared.
    I’ll buy another one if TJ could be returned in his place.

zokes
    Free Member

You really didn’t like the rugby, did you…

anagallis_arvensis

No I enjoy rugby and having lived through the 80’s and 90’s a 11 point loss at twickenham is a walk in the park. Its you I dont like.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘Warning – unsolicited video download from STW ads can cost you money!’ is closed to new replies.