Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 276 total)
  • Warning – unsolicited video download from STW ads can cost you money!
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So that Epic TV ad which appears on every page of STW at the moment has just gobbled 2 GB of my precious data allowance in two evenings, pushing me over my data limit and incurring extra charges!

I got a warning from my mobile broadband provider that I’d exceeded my monthly data limit on the last day of my billing period, and had already used half of the next whole month’s allowance in the following day!

Thinking this must be a mistake, I protested that all I do is send a few emails, a couple of pages of BBC news, and a few threads on STW.

They were actually quite understanding, and after gently enquiring if I had any teenagers in the house with a penchant for YouTube, dug through their records and politely explained that I’d spent a total of about five hours over two nights downloading video from a website called “Epic TV”.

Didn’t mean anything to me, and I was starting to suspect the wife was addicted to some web shopping channel, until I realised its that ad that is sitting right over there —->>> as I type this.

Let me be clear about this – I’ve never clicked on the ad, or in any other way asked to watch its video content – it starts automatically, unsolicited, and continues to download HD video as long as you’re on the page, which can be hours if you wander away from the computer to do other stuff like I do!

So… who do I send my bill for the unsolicited and unauthorised use of my data allowance to – STW or Epic TV?

jekkyl

What an absolute pile of poo. Stw’s answer: buy a premium membership, but is the ability to browse a load of guys arguing & a large knowledge bank without advertising worth 15 quid a year?! No.

boxelder

If your full time job/business was to produce a magazine and associated website, would you be happy to give it away?

Drac

This thread has been highlighted so Mark or another will answer soon with a definitive answer. The ads do need to stay as they pay for the site without them it would disappear or be subscription only, however I’m sure they don’t want them to be intrusive Mark will answer that better though.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t mean this to develop into one of those advertising versus premium membership debates. Just wanted to warn others before they get burnt like I did.

Personally I’m not averse to a bit of advertising, and especially targeted bike-related ads which can be quite interesting/useful on a bike forum.

What peeves me is that this particular ad starts gobbling expensive data allowance (unless you’re on an unlimited plan, or perish the thought – accessing from work) without so much as a please or thankyou. At very least, it should require you to mouseover or click on the ad before it starts using your valuable data allowance to stream HD video.

Smudger666

Edit – Perth replied while I was typing,

mu3266
    Free Member

perth, a simpler way is change your settings so media content doesn’t play automatically. It has the option in Chrome.

Can be a bit of a pain in the arse with youtube etc if you browse there but it stops video & audio ads.

The flip side for STW is it doesn’t stop picture ads that use significantly LESS bandwidth.

Everyone’s a winner, provided STW doesn’t use data intensive ads.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So am I right in thinking that if I an viewing this now on my mobile using 3g, I am using all my data allowance up?

Oh hang on that particular ad isn’t showing on my mobile..

alanf
    Free Member

MU3266 – where can I find these settings in Chrome?
    I think this add is stealing my broadband also.

sniff
    Free Member

Chrome mobile….

Settings > content settings > protected content (set to off)

njee20
    Free Member

I’m a premium member, with ads turned off and that ones still there when I’m on the computer! Doesn’t appear to be when on my phone.

Edit: I now see it’s a separate option to remove Epic TV ads!

Drac

Yes Njee there’s an option to disable it for those folks who are paid members. As you say it’s a seperate option from the option to disable ads.

alanf
    Free Member

Cheers Sniff – I’ve managed to sort it now (on a desktop not mobile)

Mark

The Epic TV player doesn’t show on mobile devices. It’s desktop only. So it shouldn’t be using up anyone’s mobile data plans.

wwaswas

unless they tether their laptop etc to their phone?

garage-dweller

Drac/ mods generally you might want to fix the disable option as you can’t tell if epic is disabled or not.

Each time you press the button it still says remove epic tv

I cannot tell if it’s on or off.

I am a full package subscriber and if I had been caught out like the op I would be livid with stw for what appears to be unflagged and problematic content. No issue with epic s model but it needs to come with an obvious warning about data use and a way of disabling the downloads.

maccruiskeen

In safari tick ‘Stop Plugins to save power’ in the prefs. Doesn’t block the ads (which is nice for STW towers) but prevents the Epic TV from loading video data unless you click on it.

EDIT success! Tried to type the above into half a dozen threads about this and each time the thread has been locked while I was typing.

perthmtb
    Free Member

unless they tether their laptop etc to their phone?

Which I do.

And let me see if I understand this right…

– If I access STW from a phone it automatically blocks that ad from appearing.

– But, if I access STW from a desktop/laptop its not blocked.

– And, if I access from a desktop/laptop tethered to a phone its not blocked either.

– If I subscribe to premium I get an option to block that ad.

– There are settings in certain browsers to stop any ads/sites from automatically launching video content, but its not very selective

Getting awfully complicated guys – wouldn’t it be easier to have a policy that advertisers aren’t allowed to automatically launch video streaming from ads, and thereby avoid upsetting your audience?

sniff
    Free Member

How long until the Premium Premium sub gets offered? 😉

somouk
    Free Member

If I access STW from a phone it automatically blocks that ad from appearing.

But, if I access STW from a desktop/laptop its not blocked.

And, if I access from a desktop/laptop tethered to a phone its not blocked either.

The web pages you load can detect your browser and load various options depending on what they detect. Browsing the internet through a desktop browser across 3G/4G it will still detect a full browser and load the full bandwidth option.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I guess you can either go premium to STW, go unlimited on your broadband package or only browse on you mobile. They’ve got to make their money some way so i don’t mind the ads.

mogrim

If you tether your phone to your browser it’s basically a WiFi link as far as the computer is concerned – so anything on your PC/Mac/Linux that updates automatically will do so. This includes Adobe Reader, Windows Update, Outlook, etc. Any optimisation done by websites to limit bandwidth use for mobile users will also be ignored.

I only ever use tethering for emergencies…

grum
    Free Member

Tethering on a limited data plan is fairly risky IMO.

perthmtb
    Free Member

They’ve got to make their money some way so i don’t mind the ads.

As I said earlier – I have no objection to ads per se, and in fact find them quite useful/interesting – especially the T-shirt ones 😉

Its just that this particular ad has cost me hard cash by automatically downloading five hours of video I didn’t ask for.

Lets liken it to you buying a paper magazine – remember them! And with your magazine is packaged a VHS tape of some MTB vids. But you didn’t ask for the video, and you don’t even watch it. Then a day later you get a bill for 25 quid for the video. Would you pay it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

3 would only allow me to tether on their unlimited data plan anyway, which is fine as it’s on sim only cheapie tariff. But as grum said and mogrim implied, you really don’t want to be tethering on a limited plan (IMO).

perthmtb
    Free Member

Tethering on a limited data plan is fairly risky IMO.

Lets not get sidetracked by whether its tethering or a separate broadband plan. It doesn’t make any difference. Point is if you are on any data plan that has a limit, having 2 GB of video downloaded without you asking for it is going to blow a big hole in it.

I’ve survived quite happily for the last three years with a broadband plan that gave me 2.7 GB a month. This is the first (OK second, but the wife and I have got over that little misunderstanding) time I’ve blown my monthly limit in three years and had to pay excess data charges.

wwaswas

I suppose another way of looking at it is;

1) you want to visit stw regularly

2) stw hosts auto streaming ads on some devices

3) there’s a £15 a year option to restrict the display of these ads

4) if you use a device that causes streaming then either pay the £15, use an unlimited data connection or stop visiting stw?

I think it should perhaps be made clearer what EpicTV does.

Even on unlimited connections such as work ones having an stw browser open for long periods even if you’re not visiting it is likely to cause eyes to be cast in your direction…

DezB
    Free Member

^^ agreed.

subscription only
    Why not? I get a nice mag every month and access to the best website on the internet.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I suppose another way of looking at it is;

1) you want to visit stw regularly

2) stw hosts auto streaming ads on some devices

3) there’s a £15 a year option to restrict the display of these ads

4) if you use a device that causes streaming then either pay the £15, use an unlimited data connection or stop visiting stw?

5) STW realises that allowing auto streaming ads breaks the inherent trust between a website provider and its audience, and therefore asks it’s advertisers to show a little restraint

There FTFY 😀

wwaswas

thing is that the EpicTV thing is a known quantity. STW know exactly what it’s doing so why is restraint needed?

I guess there’s a commercial decision to be made about the revenue from runnign the ad v any fall off in site visitors that result.

I suspect that getting £15/head off 10 people will make up for the ad revenue from a 1000+ casual visitors not coming back over the course of a year.

Jamie
    Free Member

How long until the Premium Premium sub gets offered?

Some of us are already on it. Called Premier Gold. You get to dictate your posts to Mark, and he types them out for you.

Drac

I can’t see the Epic TV thing so someone may have to tell me.

How did you not notice it was playing and if it was at what point did you think hold it’s downloading here this is using bandwidth?

I’m also intrigued as how your ISP knows it was Epic TV my previous ISP couldn’t tell me where bandwidth was being used.

WEJ

Epic TV player doesn’t show on mobile devices. It’s desktop only. So it shouldn’t be using up anyone’s mobile data plans.

I’m too far from the exchange to have a landline broadband, so I have a three mobile broadband account for home use. Limit is 15gb/month.

franksinatra

How did you not notice it was playing

well I notice it is playing when, erm, it is playing TV..!

I think it is reasonable to expect that viewing a forum on any platform should not use 2GB of data (assuming everything the OP says is correct)

grum
    Free Member

Lets not get sidetracked by whether its tethering or a separate broadband plan. It doesn’t make any difference. Point is if you are on any data plan that has a limit, having 2 GB of video downloaded without you asking for it is going to blow a big hole in it.

Which is why I have unlimited data on my mobile and at home. 🙂 It’s not even that expensive.

I’d agree that having 2gb of video download without you asking for it is cheeky though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

having 2gb of video download without you asking for it is cheeky though.

That would appear to be the crux of the issue here. No problem with there being ads, as others have said, but just automatically using that much data seems ‘wrong’ somehow.

zilog6128

I’m also intrigued as how your ISP knows it was Epic TV my previous ISP couldn’t tell me where bandwidth was being used.

they were probably just too embarrassed to repeat the names of the websites over the phone. All your data goes through the ISP so unless you are using a proxy or something yes they know where you go on the internet. Pretty sure EU law means they have to retain the data for a year as an anti-crime measure.

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s the ‘rubbish fills space available’ maxim. In some ways, the Internet was simpler with 256kb dial up!

Drac

All your data goes through the ISP so unless you are using a proxy or something yes they know where you go on the internet

Yup that’s exactly what they told me but they couldn’t tell me how much data I’d used on each site just how often it was visited. In the end I just checked the browsing history on my daughter’s laptop to find she’d been downloading shite movies from youtube. At that point I dumped the ISP for BT Unlimited and now it’s not an issues, I should have done it sooner with all the devices that connect to internet now and as said update along can be huge.

kelvin

How did you not notice it was playing and if it was at what point did you think hold it’s downloading here this is using bandwidth?

When “Google Chrome Helper” was using 99% CPU time, and maxing out my network connection, when visiting a STW page.

Actually, I had no idea why it was doing that, I just swapped back to Safari, assuming it was ad related in some way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘Warning – unsolicited video download from STW ads can cost you money!’ is closed to new replies.