Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • WARNING!!!! If you take photos with your cell phone…
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

my new android phone knows where I work

That’s the Google Now function. You can switch it off if it bothers you.

For more info log into your gmail account online and select “Account” then “dashboard” then look at location history….

clubber
    Free Member

google are clever enough to realise that if you’re at one location most of the time between 9-5 during the week, it’s probably your work location. Similar for home in the evenings… You can turn it off as above.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Facebook has started emailing me at my work email to tell me what my facebook friends are up to.

If I wanted to know what they were up to I would look on facebook. However, I do find it pretty odd that fb contacts me in this way, as my work email address is not linked to my account in any way, and is not really in the public domain.

annebr
    Free Member

Jimmy Saville announced as new pope! 😯

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve taken loads of pictures of my knob with geotagging turned on and I’ve had not once single contact from anyone who wants to molest or take advantage of me.

Can I sue the daily mail?

Trimix
    Free Member

Samuri – you will have to hold it closer, they are probably just confused you want to help them go fishing by providing the bait.

CountZero

Thing with posting photos on Fb, and some other social media, is that Fb automatically strips out geolocation data, so nobody could find out where the photo was taken anyway.
    Unless you put into the litle box, ‘here’s a photo of the kids in the paddling pool in the garden!’, and all your personal data is on Fb as well.
    But only a complete idiot would put all that info up there, anyway…
    wait a minute… 🙄

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The Google Now function is ACE! I can be sitting on my sofa and it helpfully informs me that I am 27mins from home. Thanks Google!

thepurist

surroundedbyhills – Wow! How big is your sofa?

dannybgoode

Probably has a sofa like this:

Cheers

Danny B

GrahamS

Love the “hackers” hysteria.

Yeah because only l33t hax0rs know about the EXIF data on photos – which can be displayed in pretty much any photo viewer or website.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Okay Okay here it is.

Jamie
    Free Member

Love the “hackers” hysteria.

Yeah because only l33t hax0rs know about the EXIF data on photos – which can be displayed in pretty much any photo viewer or website.

Next time they will be hacking into your browser….

sbob
    Free Member

rusty90 – Member

Synopsis – by looking at the Exif metadata in the image you can work out where I was when I took this picture

Is that that mosque in Brighton?

GrahamS

#

Love it – if you go to the loo and leave your laptop unlocked, unattended and running Google Chrome then crafty hackers may peek at your ultra-secret passwords…

…or then again they might just walk off with your laptop!

CountZero

Is that that mosque in Brighton?

FTFY
    Hemel Hempstead.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

‘ve taken loads of pictures of my knob with geotagging turned on and I’ve had not once single contact from anyone who wants to molest or take advantage of me.

Samuri – you will have to hold it closer, they are probably just confused you want to help them go fishing by providing the bait.

Whereas I had a call from the Woburn Zoo, asking why I had one of their pythons trapped against a plate glass window.

I’m here all week, try the waitress, tip the steak.

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone’s trademarked ‘kaboom’?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, Red Bull.

maxtorque

The thing is, the concept of “one of the masses” becomes important here.

i.e.:

1 person has a geotagging phone, well yup, they could quite easily be tracked.

100 people have geotagging phones, yup still easy to track

10,000 people have geotagging phones, gonna need some sort of computer to do it, but you could keep track of them all

1,000,000 people have geotagging phones, Mainframe time!

100,000,000 people have geotagging phones. Chances of trackig em all, and it being you they track, well, practically nill.

So, how many mobile phones with GPS and cameras were sold last year?

Jamie
    Free Member

So, how many mobile phones with GPS and cameras were sold last year?

Erm…8?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.. Can’t believe the Guardian would get so worked up over something so obvious. Whoever leaves their computer unlocked in a public place is an idiot. Next week’s scoop: if you leave your house open you are at risk from burglars!

scuzz
    Free Member

100,000,000 people have geotagging phones. Chances of trackig em all, and it being you they track, well, practically nill.

Chances of tracking them all: certain, there’s a big kurfuffle about it in the news at the moment, take a peek. Besides, it’s just data – would you really be surprised that if you put enough computers together you’ll be able to process loads of data? There are only 7 billion people on the whole planet – I have more bytes than that on a chip the size of my toenail.

Chances of it being you they track? It’s already happening, they’re just not using the data they’ve gathered about you against you. Cause they promised not to, basically.

footflaps

Next they’ll be sending a document to your house every 10 years asking where your place of work is and what your religion is etc….

maccruiskeen

The Google Now function is ACE! I can be sitting on my sofa and it helpfully informs me that I am 27mins from home. Thanks Google!

So if it isn’t your sofa who’s house have you wandered into?

CountZero

Next they’ll be sending a document to your house every 10 years asking where your place of work is and what your religion is etc….

Eh, what? That’s outrageous, questions need to be asked!

slowoldgit
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘WARNING!!!! If you take photos with your cell phone…’ is closed to new replies.