Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Warner does pedal bikes again.
  • weeksy

Funny if you like him…. i imagine it’s irritating if you don’t 🙂

kayak23

Yeah, I’m on the fence.
    I like him commentating but find watching twenty minutes of him faffing while playing an inept moron with a potty mouth a bit tedious after a while.

Still, takes all sorts 😀
    I like the trials videos.

z1ppy

Comes across as that ‘bullying ****’ as he’s hit ppl in two of his video’s (& then apologize, cause that make it all better, then goes on to do it again) and sabotaged Olly’s bike. There’s worse MTB-er youtubers.. he’s vaguely amusing, as his team just make video out of what would normally be “out takes” for most youtubers.
    Why is his beard purple?

roverpig

Maybe he should take that Magic Mary off for the blue trail 🙂

It’s funny, his conclusion (exaggerated for comic effect of course) was that the ebike is much more fun. My conclusion was that riding an ebike turns you into someone who can’t even manage five miles on a blue trail without gasping for breath.

daveylad
    Free Member

That was very funny. I guess filmed a good few weeks back as qecp is bone dry currently.
    I fully agree with the conclusion that normal pedal bikes aren’t as much fun as eebs.

DickBarton

He doesn’t half moan…it is mildly entertaining when he doesn’t moan but just unwatchable when he starts – I can listen to that kind of mince from the nursery kids that walk past the house on their daily exercise.
    In real life he seems a decent bloke so I’m pretty sure it is all put on for the camera, unsure why but I guess there aren’t that many whiny-mouthed moans with such a wide reach for video content…maybe that is his pull.
    Watching with the sound off is better but the talking bits always end up having me unmuting and regretting it.
    I watch it as he is a good rider, but the chat is utter mince.

chakaping
    Free Member

Having seen his previous YouTube efforts, I can’t even bring myself to watch this. And I’m a fan of his.

It’s actually a good demonstration of the fact that you need good ideas and execution as well as just talent, if you want to make decent content.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is his persona for the camera?

He’s a right little princess in this one.

If I want boring moaning I can get it from my teenagers whenever I want.

Digger90
    Free Member

He’s a nob.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I used to like Warner back in the days of Freecaster commentating but these YouTube videos make him sound like a pathetic moron. And who in their right mind would be riding a 170mm enduro bike on a tame blue run.

mikertroid
    Free Member

A couple of years ago at BPW I ended up taking a few uplifts with him.

I was crying with laughter every time… very funny guy!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Pure comedy gold, loved it.

ayjaydoubleyou

Give him a commentary booth or a Rob meets interview and he can amuse me for hours.
    Give him even a hint of a script or a story line to stick to and it seems to fall apart terribly.
    He does seem to be playing a role, by all accounts a top bloke in real life.

dirkpitt74

I think he’s aiming to be the Jeremy Clarkson of MTB YouTube.

It’s obviously all put on for the camera……..

Isn’t it??

argee

Think he over egged it in this one, no pun intended, but the message was pretty good, ebikes are more fun for flat and up, more runs, etc, but on the downs, normal bike wins every time. Funnily enough i’ve been finding the same recently, leaving the ebike at home on weekends and it is as he says, harder to get up to speed, and even harder to continue when the legs go, you have assist that kind of plateaus the entire ride, so you never really think about the start and finish issues.

roverpig

But he only did five miles on a blue trail (so not even that steep). If you can’t ride a bike for five miles without getting knackered is the answer really to get one with a motor? That wouldn’t be my conclusion, but then I’m one of the weirdos that he is ranting about 🙂

couchy
    Free Member

It does show there are 2 sides to cycling, riding for fitness and riding as you like being on 2 wheels/having fun/dicking about, some like one or the other and some like both. The ones that do it for fitness seem to struggle to understand why anyone would ride a bike for any other reason which always comes out in the ebike discussion, Ebikes are ace though 🙂

weeksy

It’s interesting though as it asks a question, he rides a LOT it seems, like all the time…. so shouldn’t he have a decent level of fitness even if on an Ebike from that ?

roverpig

The ones that do it for fitness seem to struggle to understand why anyone would ride a bike for any other reason

Do they? That video seems to be a guy who rides for fun struggling to understand why anyone would do it for any other reason. Personally I have no problem understanding the appeal of ebikes. Each to their own. But as @weeksy says, for a guy who rides an ebike all the time he seems embarrassingly unfit. Maybe it was all just put on for effect, but he did seem properly knackered on a five mile bike ride.

couchy
    Free Member

It seems an ebike keeps a level of fitness and only increases that level if you try harder. His level of fitness was probably at that level which is why he bought an ebike in the first place. It’s certainly interesting as we’ve discussed before and having recently adding a HR monitor to my ebike rides I’m getting more of an insight into how hard I have to work on one.

Wookster

I think he was hamming it up, it’s not that tough a trail though in the clag, it is soul destroying peddling up.

nickc

Isn’t it??

Met him out in the Chilterns once, a few years back, and he seemed like a genuinely nice bloke for the 10 mins or so I chatted with him. I think most of the stuff he does like this in front of camera is a persona.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think he was hamming it up

Never!

😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s certainly interesting as we’ve discussed before and having recently adding a HR monitor to my ebike rides I’m getting more of an insight into how hard I have to work on one.

Can’t remember the TV show (might have been Top Gear, maybe not), but there was a segment where they put the presenter pillion on a bike being ridden by Guy Martin with a HRM.

The point being shown was that you can be doing an activity and it can induce a high heart rate, but that’s nothing to do with your metabolism.

Being driven round at 100mph on the back of a motorbike, watching a horror film, or riding an e-bike, might all result in your heart rate climbing to ~150bpm. However, that’s just adrenaline, nothing like going for a pedal-powered ride and getting the same heart rate.

Your Garmin might say you’ve burnt off so many calories, but it’s basing that on an assumption that your heart rate is metabolically appropriate, it’ll be significantly overestimating your work done.

argee

Wish the above was true on my Wahoo Roam, was wondering how i was managing to do 3-4 hour rides with 3000ft climbing and burning only 650 calories, then noticed the other day it’s in ebike mode!

It’s all good fun though, love my ebike, love my normal bike, both do different jobs for me, and i couldn’t see me binning either just to ride the other, wish i didn’t need the ebike, but age and injuries catch up with everyone unfortunately, and recovery just seems to get longer and longer each time.

alan1977
    Free Member

To be fair
    his reaction is essentially the same as any one ive taken around QE for the first time
    as its my local, and the only place I really know…I have no idea if it is over dramatization or really not much fun (i suspect the latter)

mrdestructo

Dunno about him hitting people and then apologising, but he did seem a pretty normal guy when way back I (perhaps too hastily) told him off for swearing in front of kids at an exhibition hall and he apologised genuinely.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is it just me or is the colour grading on his videos really weird? Someone needs to move the red slider to the left or something.

ads678

Funny that.

Fair enough he hit him with the egg harder than the fella was expecting but the ‘hit’ was pre arranged, a bully would just hit him anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, if that’s how unfit and moany an ebike makes you, I think I’ll hold off a bit longer. lolZ

singlespeedstu

But he only did five miles on a blue trail (so not even that steep). If you can’t ride a bike for five miles without getting knackered is the answer really to get one with a motor?

I’ve met Rob a couple of times and he’s a pretty funny guy in real life.
    Seems his comedy’s not so good in this one as people are taking him seriously…
    The guy rides all kinds of bikes a lot. I very much dought that he couldn’t ride five miles of a blue trail without being knackered.
    He’s made a whole career from pissing about on bikes and talking shit.
    Fair play to him I say.
    I’d rather do that than a real job.

nedrapier

And he does ask the video guy at the end how the hell he’s going to scrape together a youtube edit out of a 5 mile ride round a blue. There’d be barely anything there at all if he’d not added all the Rob Warner Moans About Pedalling content.

nealglover
    Free Member

I really hope he reads this and gets a laugh out of anyone that thinks ANY of that video was in any way serious.

reluctantjumper

Watched it yesterday and while it is a bit cringy in places it’s just the normal Warner being Warner stuff. You can tell he’s not blowing out of his arse by the end though as he’s not struggling for breath and isn’t even sweaty! His channel has been a bit hit/miss so far but I’m interested to see where he goes with the rebuild of his race-winning GT frame, could see a different side to him on that one.

I’ve met him twice now, once at Fort William in the gondola and once at BPW, both times he’s been great to talk to. He was obviously working at Fort William but took plenty of time to talk to the 4 of us in the lift and was a good laugh but at BPW he was there with Peaty and it was obvious that, while he’s not World Cup fit he’s got a good base fitness. I presume he just hams it up about it all when he starts to get warm, playing to his rebel label he’s had since the 90’s. He definitely wasn’t any slower at the end of the day than he was at the beginning.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Warner does pedal bikes again.’ is closed to new replies.