Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Warmest winter boots
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Shimano aren’t cutting it for Katie. What’s warmer? North wave Celsius? Anything else we hold look at?

Junkyard
    Free Member

lake but not cheap

bland

Sidi but even more

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lake, not tried them ouside the shop but they seemed OTT for anything short of the Idtaroad.

Northwave, the artic versions are kind of fleecy lined. I wear mine with thick socks down to -10 (i.e I’ve not had cold feet once this winter) and with normal socks through spring/autumn when it’s just the waterproofing that’s necessary.

SIDI in the shop at least didn’t look/feel any warmer than the northwaves and were £40 more.

somafunk

Northwave Artics, i suffer from Raynauds and these are the only boots that i can comfortably head outside with in any weather, no matter how cold or wet the conditions are and know my feet will be fine,, i sized one up so i can wear thick winter socks. My hands on the other matter are still a problem despite lobster gloves and merino liners, i was out in the shed 30mins ago and the outer three fingers on each hand are now a dark purple/black colour so thats the blood vessels gone into spasm and shut off blood flow, that’s them fked for the night and t’morn – might have to try giant style ski mitts which will limit control somewhat, especially on the bike.

raisinhat
    Free Member

45NRTH Wölvhammer for ultimate warmth and ultimate cost.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Simon, Get some good quality wool socks, not too thick or circulation will be reduced, my shimano are way warmer than the Northwave celcius, and drier too

drlex
    Free Member

Love the look of those 45NRTH boots – anyone offer any experience of them? Currently revert to flats and regular boots when it gets sub-zero.

adevaynes
    Free Member

got a pair of northwave celcius for winter and wear with aldi cycling socks which I wouldn’t consider as winter socks and not had cold feat once, cheapest I found then was winstanleys @£98

robdixon
    Free Member

+1 for northwave arctics

kilo
    slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve an earlier pair of these…

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-LUC-ACC.htm

… they are quite warm, fleeces for feet.

shifter
    Free Member

Who stocks 45NRTH?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Another vote here for the artics,treated myself after struggling all winter,and now kicking myself for letting myself struggle all bloody winter. Very nice boot,very comfy right from the off too.

summittoppler
    Free Member

Sidi Diabolo for me. Had them for 2nd winter now, used every day for commuting Aswell. Very well made and extremely warm. Can also be worn in the summer.
    Thumbs up from me

fasthaggis

Wiggle doing Northwave Artics @£119
    Link

andrewh
    Free Member

Somefunk, I’ve got (a mild version of) reynauds too, have you tried electric heated gloves? Little battery pack on each wrist, heating elements on the backs of the hand and along the fingers. Great.

composite
    Free Member

My review of the Northwaves. http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/2012/12/northwave-celius-gtx-winter-riding-boots-review/

EDIT: Somafunk have you tried hotpogs for your hands?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

CandoDavid. Katie currently wears spacious Shimano, merino woolie boolies and neoprene overshoes. Overshoes ate disposable (looking rough after 7 days off road) and she still has cold feet sometimes. Main objective is to dump the overshoes

Celsius Arctic at 120 from CRC or Wiggle look like they’re FTW.

IHN

It’s also worth looking at £6 silk socks from eBay. My other half also complained of cold feet (in MW81s with Merino socks), a pair of silk socks under the merino worked wonders.

Also, silk liner gloves, again about £6, are amazing too.

And, as I think others have said, make sure there’s a bit of wiggle room in the boots (a thinner insole helped my other half)

D0NK

Had some celsius they were slightly warmer than the shimanos, lakes are significantly warmer and proper comfy come up big for their size, plenty of room for big socks (Which I haven’t really needed). Not tried the NW artic.

shaggy

I have Lakes, Northwaves and Sidi winter boots. Lakes are by far the warmest, Sidi are easily the coldest. Would love to try the 45Norths.

The-Beard

Been using Northwave Arctic boots all winter – and it’s been quite a winter… Never really had cold feet. Best purchase of the winter!

Naff
    Free Member

I’ve been riding with Shimano RW80’s for the last couple of years but struggle with cold feet on any ride longer than an hour when it’s zero or below. Tried lots of different sock combo but nothing made a huge difference. I invested in a pair of Lake 303s this winter and love them to pieces. Much warmer than the Shimano and makes my winter night rides in subzero temps a much more pleasant experience. Highly recommended.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I had (have) a pair of Lake shoes with the same sole from a couple of years ago. Have never really got on with them – heel cup too large, toes too narrow. The last just seems really odd but I liked the Vibram sole.

Lakes are £170 at Tredz so a chunk more expensive as well. Ordered the Northwave and we’ll see how they fit.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I had (have) a pair of Lake shoes with the same sole from a couple of years ago. Have never really got on with them – heel cup too large, toes too narrow. The last just seems really odd but I liked the Vibram sole.

Lakes are £170 at Tredz so a chunk more expensive as well. Ordered the Northwave and we’ll see how they fit.

scotroutes

Do they need to be SPD compatible? I’ve been wearing some snow-shoeing boots from Decathlon this winter. Much cheaper than bike gear and twice as warm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Warmest winter boots’ is closed to new replies.