• This topic has 48 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Warmest winter boots?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

It’s time to take the plunge and treat my feet. What do you use or recommend? Thanks 

DavidB
    Free Member

Bontrager OMW

scotroutes

Bontrager OMW

Kryton57

Scott Heaters

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Northwave do an ‘artic’ version of their winter boots which has a fleece lining. I wear mine all the time from now until easter as they’re breathable but keep the mud out as well as the cold.

Their range seems to have grown somewhat but the raptor gtx artic looks like the closest comparison to my old celcius boots. The ‘husky’ boot looks like a Celsius in cheaper materials?

Either way, they’ve been by far the best £150 I’ve ever spent on cycling kit, makes winter riding completely normal (with Roubaix longs, waterproof shorts, a half decent top and a buff).

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

+1 on the raptor arctic boots. Currently £129 at tredz.

dovebiker

How cold and for how long? The simple answer is size up and wear thick, decent wool socks and an extra insole and a neoprene overshoes and leave wriggle room for your toes. I spent 5 days unsupported in the Arctic where my – 20c rated 45Nrth boots weren`t quite enough even with thick socks and overgaiters. Taking spare socks on a longer ride also helps as perspiration build up leads to cold feet.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Many thanks. The Bontys look good as do the NW arctic. I have poor circulation so even an hour or so in 3-4 degrees is no fun…

Sizing? Bontys seem to be up at least one full size, how about the Northwave?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I have had Northwave boots for a number of winters. The Celcius Artics seem to be generally a Euro size up from normal shoes and are suited to wider feet. They’re good and warm, but not completely infallible. I think the trick with poor circulation is not to make it worse by having too tight a closure or too thick a sock. The latest Raptors I found (at my expense) seemed to have a slightly narrower last. I’m looking at some 45NRTH boots for this winter but will continue with the Northwaves as well – they’ve been the warmest cycling footwear I’ve ever owned.

damascus
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Scott heaters gtx from start fitness at year in the sale with a 10% off voucher. I think they were about £60

https://m.startfitness.co.uk/scott-mtb-heater-gtx-mens-cycling-shoes-grey-240503-1001.html

I bought them fir cycling to work on. They have been so good I bought a 2nd pair for mtb. I haven’t used my shimano mt91 boots since they arrived.

I’ve used Northwave but couldn’t find a fit.

z1ppy

I’ll throw Lake MXZ303’s Into the mix, big clunky & warm. This year will be my fourth winter with them, I only wish I’d bought them earlier.

mrb123
    Free Member

You need to size well up in the Northwaves. I’m normally size 11 but ended up with size 47 which they class as UK 12.5. Last thing you want with winter boots is them being too tight.

fossy

Shimano MW7 if using SPD, especially if your other shoes are Shimano.  Been out in snow drifts with them, warm feet.

My only regret, not having bought winter shoes before (road or MTB) – really good.  If you suffer cold feet/hands, then I’d advise to look at the more insulated ones.

andyeez
    Free Member

+2 for the Scott Heaters… nice and roomy too.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im going to +2 the Lake mx303s , for years ive suffered with cold feet and tried everything  ,last year took a punt on there, even snow biking in the Lakes they were toasty warm with normal socks.  So warm

blakec
    Free Member

Is there a warm dry winter boot for flats?

scotroutes

I use my OMWs with flats – Nukeproof Electrons. Just don’t remove the SPD cover (or better – replace it with a softer one).

Plastic pedals are a good idea too btw  – less of a heat sink (good  reason for avoiding SPDs).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is there a warm dry winter boot for flats?

For winter SPD money you could buy any half decent waterproof waking boot.

For less extreme conditions I think 5.10 now do an ‘EPS’ version of the freerider which is insulated and has a 1 piece leather upper to minimise the amount of water that gets in.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Anyone have the Mavic Crossmax SL Pro Thermo? I think it’s between the Bontys and the North wave, I have shimano MTB spds but the MW7 just don’t look as warm.

The Lakes look lovely but not worth the extra layout?

bruneep

Bontrager OMW

Splash-man
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Scott heaters gtx from start fitness at year in the sale with a 10% off voucher. I think they were about £60

I also bought a pair of these boots and was rather disappointed in them compared to my much older Shimano boots.

They seemed more waterproof but colder than the Shimano .

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Last month Halfords were doing a 30% sale on all cycle clothing and accessories. I’d been eyeing up some MXZ303s for a while now. So, using that discount plus BC10% plus Quidco that’s less than £125 which seems fair as they are really good quality. Maybe wait to see if there’s another sale on, perhaps even at CycleRepublic?

My only concern is that they are heavy (relative to my Lake MX237s) and you know what they say about rotational weight. However, for bimbling rides in the woods when it’s really cold, wet and miserable or when there’s snow on the ground these look like they’re perfect for that. If this winter is like last winter then they’ll be seeing a lot of use. I’ll be waxing them first before I take them out. Amazing looking boots but expensive.

jkomo

I’ve got some of the Bontys coming from Tritan for £130. Didn’t size up though, so I’m hoping they fit as I already have a pair of Bonty road shoes I figured the size would be the same.

dovebiker

Charlie the Bikemonger has some deals on 45Nrth boots @ £99/pr – never to be seen again at those prices.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’ve recently got some of the Mavics and they are very comfy but do need sizing up as otherwise your constricted.

James

gavstorie
    Free Member

Lake MXZ303

Heavy but they do the job perfectly. They arent bad for walking in either. Roasty toasty

bonni

I’ve been looking at a pair of them Scott Heaters myself. What’s the advice on sizing for them relative to normal shoe size? Same, up or down?

scotroutes

I’ve got some of the Bontys coming from Tritan for £130. Didn’t size up though, so I’m hoping they fit as I already have a pair of Bonty road shoes I figured the size would be the same.

After doing a bit of reading I went up a full size. Glad I did as you want to avoid compressing the inner boot.

epicyclo

Sealskin socks with thin merino socks under, and Keen sandals.

You did ask… 🙂

(And it works)

damascus
    Free Member

Bonni, I’m a size 10 in normal shoes.

Shimano, lake a 45.

Northwave 44 was too small 45 too big.

The Scott heater gortex is a 45 and a touch bigger than shimano but they have a draw string closure and 3 Velcro straps so they fit tight. It means I can run them with thick or thin socks.

martymac

North face chillkats are pretty good, comfy to wear, and so warm in -20c that i got sweaty and thought they were leaking.

i have ridden in them, but they were primarily bought for a winter holiday in canada.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Been swithering over omws my self.

They didn’t have any wifesized available how ever ctbm had wife sized and me sized wolvhammers on sale.

I predict a warm winter ahead

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Ah just seen the 45north boots on Charlie site. None left in 44/45 unlucky for me. They have to be the ultimate winter boot.

Iv used the Northwave Celsius GTX for quite a few years think I’m on my 3 rd pair. They are good boots if you can get the size right and can stop the water running down your shins and filling the boots.

That said I have often got back from group rides and watched mates wring out sodden cold socks while mine are still dry and toasty.

jag61

NW canyon gtx have been excellent lasting 5 yrs + starting to fall apart now so got some Lakes  mxz303 last winter.. almost too warm? very well made in leather look like they will last forever making the £175  a bit more bearable.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

£25 waterproof hiking boots from Decathalon and some merino socks. Trudged all round the Tweed Valley through a couple of winters and been fine… Some gaiters help too

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Same as NorthCountryBoy here – been eyeing up the 45NRTH ones and was waiting to hear back on a sizing query and they’ve all gone! Ah well. Anybody got experience of the Japanther or is it worth holding out for the Wölvhammers to hopefully restock?

z1ppy

There was feedback suggesting the zip on the Japanther didn’t work well with mud, which would make me wary of the OWB’s but they’ve a lot of love on this thread

ransos
    Free Member

My Northwave boots are good but water runs down my legs and fills them up eventually.

scotroutes

TBH if it’s warm enough to be muddy then I find the OMWs too warm to wear 😁

k1100t
    Free Member

Does anyone know how wide those 45Nrth boots are…? I was about to blow two hundred and the rest on some wide fit Lake MX241 Endurance or MX237 Endurance shoes. I could afford pedals as wells as boots if they’re wide enough…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Warmest winter boots?’ is closed to new replies.