• This topic has 44 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Warmest Fleece / Jumper?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Since being put on blood thinners earlier in the year my dad has struggled to keep warm even in a warm house. I’d like to get him a nice thin (ish) jumper for Christmas to wear casually. What’s the warmest piece of clothing you have worn? He’s a keen Walker so outdoors brands are a plus. It’ll hopefully be work daily around the house as well as house so nothing too bulky ideally, thanks in advance!

cynic-al
    Free Member

The warmest I have work is the thickest.

Fleece is probably the lightest

chaos

Anything wrong with a good old school woolly jumper?  Cashmere if you’re feeling flush.

Fleece

Kryton57

I have a one of these Rapha tech hoodies which I bought for camping: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-explore-technical-hoodie/product/EEH01XXCBN.

It absolutely radiates heat as though it was an electrically powered items as soon as you put it on.  Not sure how’s it’s so effective tbh but it really is like wearing an item of heated clothing.  I bought it in last years sales, good to see it’s still half price.

Superficial
    Free Member

I have basically lived in a Haglofs Serac hoodie since Sept. A great fleece and very warm without being too bulky. It’s probably not the absolute warmest but it’s so good for the weight.

Is your father also on beta blockers? If so that’s probably what’s causing the cold extremities / cold intolerance.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

haha Kryton a sold out Rapha Tech hoodie for presumably an older gentleman sat at home, which you bought for sitting around in a field…! Gold, this place sometimes!

Here in Sweden we all wear norwegian woolen jumpers. insane warmth. I realise that is also a very STW thing to say 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got a ridiculously thick fleece but it doesn’t feel as light as 2 thin ones ..
    My Dad was the same and I bought him a fleece zip cardigan (for mobility vs pull on jumper) but he said it felt too heavy and didn’t wear it… indeed I ended up wearing it.

Would 2 thin fleeces be better for him ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Wool is warm.

Maybe a merino base layer to wear under his shirt or normal jumper?

Also useful for walking.

dashed
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those swanky Patagonia R2 TechFace jackets which is more like a mid layer than an outer layer. Expensive but toasty compared to other fleece mid layers I’ve got.

As an aside, my son ripped his Patagonia jacket – no manufacturing fault. Free return postage, free repair. Yes pricey upfront, but quite outstanding customer service.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

haha Kryton a sold out Rapha Tech hoodie for presumably an older gentleman sat at home, which you bought for sitting around in a field…! Gold, this place sometimes!

Lol, beat me to it!

matt_outandabout

As above, a base layer may help more than a fleece.

That said, I find my ‘gridded’ fleeces notably warmer than plain fleece. I have a couple of nice jumper fleeces from Arcteryx and Rab that look more ‘jumper’ than outdoor gear on the outside but are gridded inside.
    Mrs_OAB lives in her Patagucci Better Sweater

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Uniqlo heat tech extra warm, base layer and long johns – cheap and very effective!

captainclunkz
    Free Member
    ctk
    Free Member

Dickies Fleece shirt is good at £30 available at Screwfix.

The warmest jumper I have had was a Norwegian Wool Christmas type jumper. It was too warm to wear!

Kamakazie

Thick fleece with a hood is by far the warmest I’ve used and that includes many wool jumpers.
    Hood is a massive plus outside (and sometimes in) and fleeces tend to come up under the chin which also helps.
    Something like a sherpa lined fleece would be about as warm as I’ve worn but when windy you need a windstopper.

That Rapha one looks good and it’s not sold out in green. QA says 240gsm fleece so not the thickest.

IHN

Wool, every time, with the added bonus that you’re not contributing to the microplastic-pollution nightmare that comes from man-made fleece fabrics.

Finisterre do some lovely stuff:

https://finisterre.com/collections/mens-knitwear

Edit: don’t forget that them crazy Scandinavians love a big wolly jumper, and they know about cold

dknwhy

I’ve got a Montane Fireball Smock which it looks like has been replaced by this:

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-mens-prism-ultra-pull-on-p924#attribute%5B3%5D=13

Really warm, really light, synthetic so machine washable and thin enough to use as a mid layer or on it’s own in autumn weather. Packs down really small too.

Esme
    Free Member

Matt is right about base layers. Your dad needs a couple of string vests!
    Brynje vest

loum
    Free Member

Warmest is a wool jumper by quicksilver with a neoprene backing. Fairly bulky but never cold even outside.
    Best bang for buck for keeping warm v bulk is Merino undies and vest.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dickies Fleece shirt is good at £30 available at Screwfix.

This thread did make me think of the Aldi work shirt/jacket I picked up for £15 a couple of years ago. It’s very cosy, partially because it’s quite long.

Loved mine so much I went back and got one for my dad, who also wears his all the time now.

Not what the OP asked for, but it is dad-proven (mine is also on Warfarin).

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, don’t discount warmer trousers.

Either traditional lined ones or fleecy lined workwear trews. Much warmer than a pair of jeans.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have a look at Uniqlo insulated/warm stuff – works well, quite cheap.
    M&S do something similar – he might prefer that styling?

MSP

For something thin, then I would echo someone else above with grid fabrics, not sure I would wear them casually though. For something that could be worn around the house and as a layer for walking how about a polortech alpha vest?

Or for something really warm just to be worn casually just a pile lined hoodie like this.

https://www.tog24.com/products/corbet-mens-sherpa-lined-hoody-dark-indigo

IHN

synthetic so machine washable

Most washing machines have a wool/handwash cycle these days, so washability is not really a factor anymore

Esme
    Free Member

“so washability is not really a factor anymore”
    Well, no, but dry-ability is still a factor, and wool takes AGES to dry.

scuttler

I live a very sedentary lifestyle typing on here five days a week and the warmest upper layer is a thick wooly jumpy – pisses all over all the ‘technical’ gear I have although a merino base layer is also a good start. TKMaxx will have something but if you need to go shopping online search for something that sounds or looks Scandinavian.

scuttler

Also, don’t discount warmer trousers.

Decathlon winter walking trousers are great and would appeal to his outdoor style.

IHN

Well, no, but dry-ability is still a factor, and wool takes AGES to dry.

It takes longer, sure, but how quick do you need something to dry? A woolley jumper dries quicker than, say, a pair of jeans, and no-one suggests getting nylon trousers because washing jeans is too much hassle.

Kryton57

What’s your issue?   I showed the OP what I bought, It doesn’t mean (and I haven’t checked) its not available on the main page or elsewhere.  Plus, I’m wearing mine indoors now.

Just seems like you jumped on the bandwagon for some kind of piss take after someone else tried to help a question, this one:

What’s the warmest piece of clothing you have worn? He’s a keen Walker so outdoors brands are a plus.

himupstairs

My cosiest things are knitted woolen jumpers.
    A good shetland or fair isle knit will last ages, isn’t made of plastic, and doesn’t really need washed that often so it doesn’t matter how quickly it dries.
    Expensive, yes, but handmade locally (ish), hardwearing, and not really much more $$ than a lot of the technical branded fleeces.

jam-bo

patagonia down sweater. no hood, really light, really warm.

Murray

Back to the original requirement (thin and casual) I’d go for an M&S merino jumper for inside. Warm, light and pretty neutral in looks. Add an undershirt (t-shirt or base layer) for more warmth if needed.

Add a hat for out of the house and a hooded fleece or down jacket for outside. If you can stretch to PHD they make lovely down jackets, I only wish I’d bought one with a hood.

An overshirt is also great – my Alpkit Woodsmoke is warm, windproof and good looking. It can be an extra layer or on warm days aq top layer.

IHN

Back to the original requirement (thin and casual) I’d go for an M&S merino jumper for inside. Warm, light and pretty neutral in looks. Add an undershirt (t-shirt or base layer) for more warmth if needed.

Me too, in fact that’s what I’m wearing (well, lambswool, not merino).

epicyclo

I’m probably older than the OP’s dad and I’m on bloodthinners. 🙂

Merino Icebreaker base layer, and a cheap fleece shirt from the Factory Shop do the job at this time of year.

I’ve found wearing trousers with a lining makes the biggest difference because I seem to lose a fair bit of heat through my legs although they don’t necessarily feel the cold.

But importantly thick wool socks and loose enough shoes.

Also a bit of activity every hour or so helps.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cable woolly jumper with high neck

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@kryton57 apologies it wasn’t meant to offend. I just thought it was an amusing STW type answer. No harm intended .

Rosss
    Free Member

Thanks all, some great suggestions.

TiRed

Rab microlight down gilet. We bought them for my in-laws. Im wearing mine now. You just need to keep the core warm. No arms makes daily tasks much easier and it will fit under a coat. Id replace mine in a heartbeat.

https://rab.equipment/uk/microlight-vest-gilet

z1ppy

Umm, can I suggested a (battery) heated vest might be a good option?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Warmest Fleece / Jumper?’ is closed to new replies.