Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • warm winter leg wear ( not tights ).
  • ton

looking for some warm winter leg wear.
    spent the last few years wearing keela road runners. they are not very warm.

and I don’t want tights.

idea’s please

kilo

Leg warmers- clue in the name

scotroutes

I’ve not tried them but Endura are doing a partial Primaloft trouser.

https://www.endurasport.com/MT500-Freezing-Point-Trousers/p/bE8100

Craghoppers (and I’m sure others) do a microfleece-lined trouser.

Otherwise, some sort of thermal base layer.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My decathlon microfleece lined trousers are holding upwell.

Hadn’t considered riding in them but the include a lace hook etc so can be secured a bit at the shoe end.

footflaps

Half trouser / half tight. Very warm and comfy….

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/mode-mission-pants-p850

andy5390

I used Ron Hill tracksters for winter commuting to good effect in all but the really coldest temps. A cheap pair of running tights underneath if it was really cold

benp1

Ton, can’t you just wear some baselayer leggings under the trousers? If you get too warm you can then just take them off

ton

, can’t you just wear some baselayer leggings under the trousers? If you get too warm you can then just take them off

and that would be a fine sight, a 20 stone bear stripping off at the side of a b/w in the hills. ;o)

tjagain

You should wear tights. It would be a fine sight.
    *swoons*

dovebiker

XC ski pants – I have some Craft ones that have a windstopper front that are great for winter biking. Anything insulated with Primaloft would probably be too warm even at -20C IME.

ton

just found some cycling softshell trousers on Rose bikes site. gonna order a pair.

LAT

A lot of folk wear xc ski trousers to ride in (and ski in) where I live. The fit is very similar to Ron Hill Tracksters (I’d not made that connection until I was reminded of Ron Hill by Andy5390’s post).

id second the notion that primaloft trousers in the uk would be a bit warm. I always feel that in the UK you need to battle the damp and the wind more than the actual cold.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Half trouser / half tight

RONSTERS! The kings of kingly jogling.

Trad Ronhill Blue with red detail FTW.

Not joking about comfort, they are comfortable, quick-drying. Perfect for outdoorly pursuitage.

DezB
    Free Member

I have Pearl Izumi softshell troos. They’re lovely. Can be found cheap (around £30 in some places). Below freezin I wear leg warmers under em.

XXL?

montgomery
    Free Member

Rab VR Guide trousers. Come up a bit short if you’re long of leg, tuck them into waterproof socks or overboots. I’ve just cut up my last pair for cleaning rags, bought in 2010. I’ll be buying another set.

pothead
    Free Member

Fox Attack Fire pants look just the job, not worn them but I have a pair of the Ranger waterproof pants. The Ranger pants are windproof as well as waterproof and I can’t recommend them enough, not cheap ( got mine for £110, rrp is £135 ) I believe the Attack pants are the same price but with added fleece lining although so far I’ve not felt the cold at all when wearing mine. Knee pads will fit underneath no problem and the bottom of the leg is elastic so no water gets inside
    https://uk.foxracing.com/attack-fire-softshell-pant-%5Bblk%5D-28/22274-001-28.html

pothead
    Free Member

^^^
    The attack pant looks to have been replaced by this…

https://uk.foxracing.com/defend-fire-pant/25421.html

benp1

Ton, are you able to find troos long enough?

I’m 6’3 and long length isn’t always long enough for riding

ton

@benp1

keela trousers are long mate. 34” leg on my roadrunners.

benp1

I’m sure it was me that recommended them (based on what I’d read rather than personal use)

I mean in terms of warmer trousers you’ve seen. Long leg trousers have far more limited options for us tall guys. Something the haglofs rugged mountain pants or montane super terra are warm but are bloody pricey and might feel a bit too heavyweight for biking in certain occasions (like big exertion). They do have vents though and they’re comfy. I’ve used my haglofs troos for bike stuff with the kids before and they’ve been ok

justridemtb
    Free Member

Have a look at Buffalo

Poopscoop

Book marking.

Poopscoop

How about these? £28.99.

JOGVELO Mtb Pants Mens, Cycling Trousers Reflective Thermal Waterproof for Outdoor and Multi Sports Training (Black XL) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2VN3KV/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_KisXDbEGEYFSG

TiRed

Tweed breaks and a pair of long merino socks.

Ok I wear bib 3/4 with my long socks, but why not go back to Cycling’s true heritage wear.

Btw I’m serious. The long merino socks keep my feet and legs much warmer than my tights. But when it’s silly cold, I wear the socks over the tights.

Poopscoop

Hmmm… Thanks for posting @ton.

Not available in-store at decathlon which is a pain. I like to try the gear on before buying usually.

Might order some though. I’m 6 foot, 15st, 9Lbs. Guessing an XXL for me based on their usual sizing. What side you gone for ton?

ton

2xl for me. 33 inside leg and a 40 waist, so hopefully they will be ok.

DezB
    Free Member

TiRed

Tweed breaks and a pair of long merino socks.

So this is your recommendation that you thought Ton would take on board? Interesting 🤔

benp1

Good luck with the fit (and genuinely no hint of irony in that)

I was in touch with the customer service to understand what trousers would fit, didn’t find any unfortunately – I need a 32 or 34 inch waist and they said that none were that long. If you can get those to fit in an XXL then there’ll be loads of good trousers that will work for you (have a look at the Simond ones)

scotroutes

@ton. Let us know what they are like. I tried those Columbia Fairbanks boots out for the first time yesterday. Not convinced that are all that warm but they shook off all the icy water well and have great grip on my Neutron pedals. They are pretty roomy so I’ll try another pair of socks next time. Might try a reflective insole too.

ton

@scotroutes. I find em warmer that the wolvehammers mate. maybe with my foot bending a bit it generates some heat rather than being held in a rigid spd boot.

dahedd
    Free Member

That’s interesting. I never thought of XC ski-ing trousers.

dahedd
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see how you get on with the Decathlon trousers Ton. Can you give us an update on the fit etc once they arrive. My problem tends to be that I’m. A 36 wist but a 5’7 midget, trousers are always too long.

Also anyone got recommendations for winter socks? Need a good pair to wear with my 45nth boots.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I use these, warm stretchy available in different lengths

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901950/mountain-equipment-men-s-ibex-softshell-pant-15901950

I put some elastic bungee cord in the bottom to cinch them up

Work so good I bought a second pair

sirromj

Will try the Decathlon XC ski pants myself too for when it gets a bit colder down here in Kent. My old Endura Mult Tights currently doing me well (after I trimmed the elastic on the wasteband to minimize the tightness, they’re comfortably loose fitting everywhere else) but they’re not for cold weather unless hooning about and it’s not too wet.

TiRed

So this is your recommendation that you thought Ton would take on board? Interesting

My point is that cycling does not lend itself to wearing trousers due to the mechanism at ankle height. This has been known since about 1890. What works to keep the bottom of the legs warm is long merino socks. So rather than non 3/4, pedal pushers aka 3/4 length trousers are the ideal clothing. Breeks THE cycling attire. Something like that brought up to date is what’s needed for those who don’t want to wear Lycra and don’t want to wear full length trousers.

My Enduras aren bad for off road. I wear those mainly to protect the Lycra underneath and have a pocket. But I’d be interested in quality black pedal pushers because the enduras are too baggy and brush the frame.

pothead
    Free Member

Sealskinz, mtb specific, warm, waterproof and wind resistant

Also anyone got recommendations for winter socks? Need a good pair to wear with my 45nth boots.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of them (Infact just bought a new pair a fortnight ago) . I wear with my standard cycling shoes. They’re too bulky to wear under the 45nth’s & tbh while water proof they’re not very warm. The boots are already waterproof so I think I need a decent pair of merino socks for the extra insulation.

alan1977
    Free Member

ive got the fox fire defend, and so far they are well worth the money
    worn them in light rain, and temperatures between 15-1 degree c so far.. although anything over 8 they are warm
    they were perfect today at sunrise
    also chucked myself down on flint/chalk and they are as good as new, as was my skin underneath

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So this is your recommendation that you thought Ton would take on board? Interesting 🤔

& why not?
    He was wearing shorts & knee length Sealskins las weekend! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘warm winter leg wear ( not tights ).’ is closed to new replies.