Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Help me: warm winter jacket for cold, dry, often windy days on the bike
  • big_scot_nanny

Hiya,

What are folk wearing for cold, dry, maybe windy days in the saddle? I mean between -5 and +5.

I’ve knocked merino into touch as once sweaty it stays wet and cold.

Synthetic layers do OK, but I need something on top – my shell jacket keeps the wind off, but doesn’t breath that well and after a big hill the dampness can build up whereupon its very cold on the way back down.

Thinking about a warm/thermal cycling specific jersey over a base layer with a gilet in the pack for the downs?

random questions, would love to know folks techniques.

scotroutes

My current favourite is the Polaris AM Enduro jacket. I wear it with a thin (short-sleeved) baselayer and top it off with a waterproof if conditions demand. It’s so good, I’ve ended up with one in each colour. In the latter case, it’ll get damp from sweat but it is wicking enough to take quite a bit before feeling clammy and it will dry off if I remove the outer shell jacket.

Gilet is a good option over the top too. A waterproof one will keep your back dry when the ground is wet but it’s not actually raining.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-Enduro-softshell-mountain-biking-jacket-p/pol01-5313-p.htm

Akers

Endura MT500 Full Zip. Down to about 2 degrees C I wear just a single base layer with it, below that I’ll add a mid layer too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daern
    Free Member

Endura Synthetic base layer, oblig club jersey, Endura Stealth II jacket. Good for all but the very coldest days and even then would just add an extra, long-sleeved jersey underneath.

(It’s a real shame they stopped making the Stealth, but you can still pick them up here and there. Recommended.)

chiefgrooveguru

A windproof jacket with big zip vents and whatever thick base layer or thin fleece underneath. Cold dry and windy often seems easiest to dress for, vents work well when it’s windy, everything breathes better when it’s dry, and you don’t need to keep the rain out. I’m liking my Paramo Enduro windproof jacket for this (not the fullbore waterproof jacket they sell which is many times the price and much warmer and heavier).

mrb123
    Free Member

Gore Phantom jacket (the one with the zip off sleeves) and tailor the base layer to the conditions.

ton

spoilt for choice youth……………..  ;o)

Mens Cycling Jackets & Gilets

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gore Phantom jacket (the one with the zip off sleeves) and tailor the base layer to the conditions.

This, most versatile bike kit I’ve ever owned, by a country mile.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Exteondo softshell and a Craft base. The Exteondo is a lot like a Phantom (but better…)

scotroutes

I have a Phantom too. It’s MUCH warmer/heavier than the Polaris so gets used a lot less. I’ve also never/rarely taken advantage of the zip-off sleeves, mostly because when I want bare arms, the body is too warm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thread title makes me think “thick soft shell”, probably with a long sleeved synthetic baselayer underneath. I only really wear merino when it’s freezing or below, as the sweat thing’s not an issue then.

If you’re medium and like turquoise drop me a line, I’ve got a nice posh Scott winter softshell I never wear now.

big_scot_nanny

Cheers all. Chaka, deffo not a med, but a kind offer thanks.

will take a look at Polaris, that seems pretty good. How is it for sizing?

Ton – you know me too well! 😂

iainc

+1 on the Endura MT500. I wore mine on a long gravel ride there on Sunday. Started off with a touch of frost, about 2 degrees, ended up about 10 degrees by midday. A LS Endura base layer, MT500, gilet for first hour. Never too cold, never to warm thought the 3 hrs of the ride.

kissmylapierre
    Free Member

I’ve just got a buffalo jacket do loads of different styles wicks very very  well

smogmonster

I’m wearing a DHB softshell hoody, cheap as chips right now, looks smart, is pretty good as far as water resistance goes, and is windproof.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi following from Scotroutes recommendation I had a look at polaris enduro wind stopper. Polaris are having a pretty g ood sale and that jacket is down to £30 from £90

benp1

I sold my Phantom, found it way too hot

My cold weather biking jackets (assuming no rain) are a mountain hardwear super chockstone and a rab vapour rise alpine lite. I layer up underneath depending on the conditions.

Also works teamed up with a breathable gilet (like polartec alpha or 100wt fleece)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah bugger. Polaris jacket ordered, be rude not to at that price!. Cheers Colin!.

Never found phantom too hot, but I tend to wear it as a top rather than a jacket. Great for running in too.

onandon
    Free Member

Castelli alpha ros.

jamj1974

I use an older version of this – truly brilliant jacket,

https://www.howies.co.uk/black-friday/mens-trackie-phantom-jacket.html?colour=628

zippykona

Is the polaris totally windproof and how sweaty is it?

lunge

Planet-X Magma with a variety of base layers for me, add a gillet if needed. Does the job well, though make sure you size up as they’re snug.

takisawa2

Gore Windstopper.

thetwin
    Free Member

Is the polaris totally windproof and how sweaty is it?

It’s fairly windproof on the body. I found the need to put a waterproof jacket over mine this week to block a bitter northerly wind more effectively. I doubt any one garment can be warm going down hill and not sweaty going up

Best bit of kit this time of year is a neck buff to warm the air up before you breathe it in.

scotroutes

Polaris are having a pretty g ood sale and that jacket is down to £30 from £90

I’m not convinced it’s a £90 jacket but it’s a steal at £30. I have other stuff from Polaris and I’d say the same about it -great value at their (regular) sale prices. Neoprene gloves are another thing I’d recommend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why do you want to warm the air up?. Genuine Q, never heard of, or considered that….

thetwin
    Free Member

Why do you want to warm the air up?. Genuine Q, never heard of, or considered that

Because sucking freezing air into your lungs isn’t what they’re designed for. Likely to trigger wheezing and all sorts of unpleasantness.

BadlyWiredDog

How does that work? I guess possibly when you exhale it warms the fabric of the scarf and moisturises it, then when you inhale, some of that warmth and moisture is transferred to the inhaled air. Maybe.

ibnchris

I’ve just got a Paramo Velez adventure smock (the lightweight version) and it works a treat with a thin base layer. It’s waterproof but feels more like a soft shell. Added bonus that of it rains I’m sorted too 🙂

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have also just ordered the Polaris jacket.

thetwin
    Free Member

How does that work? I guess possibly when you exhale it warms the fabric of the scarf and moisturises it, then when you inhale, some of that warmth and moisture is transferred to the inhaled air. Maybe.

Basically you trap a pocket of warm moist air around your nose and mouth. A thin buff works well. Thick fleece things will be too stuffy.

stgeorge

Gore Windstopper.

Indeed

stgeorge

Because sucking freezing air into your lungs isn’t what they’re designed for. Likely to trigger wheezing and all sorts of unpleasantness

Really?     Most people seem to manage breathing cold air without any of those symptoms. :]

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to Gore Windstopper, I think it’s the Phantom jacket I’ve got, it’s got removable sleeves.

+1 to using a buff or facemask to cover mouth and nose. Cold air in your lungs isn’t a problem per se but you are cooling yourself from within by continually refreshing that volume of air. What you are doing by using a buff is moving the heat exchange from your lungs to the front of your face.

jameso

Don’t use jackets as much these days as insulated gilets work so well. Try a £20 ‘Forclaz’ synthetic insulated gilet from Decathlon. Brilliant kit.

Added to a decent jersey, base layer and hat etc as needed. Waterproof over the top if wet. Works out much less clammy and warmer/more adaptable when needed than any softshells I’ve used, keeps my core warm but doesn’t overheat easily.

roverpig

Paramo velez smock. I’ve had it for donkey’s years, but a good wash and re-proof and it’s as good as new again. Too warm for cycling in most of the time and doesn’t cope with extended heavy rain as well as my rain jacket, but it’s great for those cold dry (or snowy) winter rides.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the Polaris soft shell here, I’ve picked up a couple when they’re on offer. They do get a bit sweaty but because of the fleece lining they don’t feel clammy like a hardshell. I wouldn’t go out in proper rain in it, mind.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

i have been using one of these; great price, windproof, waterproof, no sweat on the inside, underarm zips, very comfortable to ride in, stormproof great sleeves to get gloves under, hood massive and could be cut out as its bulky. Just make sure you have enough lights about you as its camo!

I rode for an hour in solid rain and no leaks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/french-army-jacket

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Rab VR Alpine lite – never found bike specific jackets to be as good as the stuff for mountaineering.

cooie

Is the Polaris jacket all windproof material? I have the Endura Windchill jacket, and get a cold back as it isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Help me: warm winter jacket for cold, dry, often windy days on the bike’ is closed to new replies.