Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Warm waterproof(ish) parkas
  • doris5000

MrsD is on a quest to find The Perfect Coat, and now that we’re a bit more flush can upgrade from the Trespass one she has now.

Needs to be reasonably waterproof, but not for all-day downpours (we’d just hide in a pub). Does need to be very snug and warm and suitable for tramping through the fields on a cold winter’s day. At the (very, very) top end of the budget is this Patagonia 3 in 1 jobby which looks lovely but I saw a couple of reviews that said it could be warmer.

What do you have / recommend? I thought I remembered Canada Goose being about that range, but it looks like their prices have doubled since I last checked. Preferably baby robin friendly, if possible?

chakaping
    Free Member

Warm you say? Parka you say?

Have a butcher’s at this:
    https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-ultra-warm-hybrid-down-long-coat-439715COL56SMA001000.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAys2MBhDOARIsAFf1D1dE0iLPMcFYEJLB14_Yw4HcYU22alR8P1akUbMePsxLgtlpfWpacoUaAgOlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the men’s one and I’m sure it was sold as waterproof-ish, but I only got to wear it once before lockdown. It’s really nice quality though and definitely warm.

mmannerr

I have had 2 versions of Patagonia 3in1s but they are surprisingly heavy and not very warm. I have now their insulated parka and it is better but it is not warm enough for Arctic winters on it’s own but it is quite ok here in more mild climate.
    Not worth the MSRP but I have bought them all from various outlets.

edit. And somehow they haven’t really figured out how to make proper pockets to their every day jackets.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab works outdoors most days in nursery.

Her beloved Patagonia Torrentshell Insulated has been brilliant. About to be replaced by a SnowBelle. It’s waterproof, warm, fits properly and is functional ahead of fashion.

She sized up and adds a fluffy fleece on really cold days.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Patagonia_Insulated_Snowbelle_Womens_SnowboardSki_Jacket_L_Coral-(276105)

tonyd

I have a Fjallraven Parka for standing around watching the kids play football. It’s very heavy and very warm. Not particularly waterproof though, seems to take the approach of being so thick the water it absorbs will never get through to you.

Wife just ordered one from Parka London:

https://www.parkalondon.com/

It hasn’t arrived yet, they look nice, but I suspect more fashion oriented than practical.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Trusty Fjallraven Skogso Padded gets pulled out of the cupboard here around this time of year. Super-warm and a decent slathering in Greenland wax makes it more than waterproof enough for general pursuits. Which we all know is ‘from car to office / pub’.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My GF got something like that out of Decathlon recently. Was £100, seems really good

doris5000

ahahaha that Balenciaga thing is amazing! I particularly love the fact that the model is literally wearing clown shoes with it. Just in case there was any doubt that it’s for morons only 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^^ I have just bought the mens’ version of that Decathlon coat and tried it out for the first time this morning. I accept it wasn’t exactly freezing cold today, but I was very noticeably warmer than yesterday when I wore my old Trespass winter coat – with the hood up I felt particularly snug.

If you want something fancier/branded, my wife has a Didrikssons winter coat which she really rates.

iainc

Frahm stuff is amazing, and tough and durable, though very pricey initial outlay :

Thermal Military Parka 2022: Pre Order

chakaping
    Free Member

ahahaha that Balenciaga thing is amazing!

Just the thing when you’re going straight from your railway track maintenance shift to a Vogue cocktail party.

footflaps
    tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Just the thing when you’re going straight from your railway track maintenance shift to a Vogue cocktail party…

via a jousting tournament.

(there’s definitely a suit of armour underneath those fancy strides)

CountZero

ahahaha that Balenciaga thing is amazing! I particularly love the fact that the model is literally wearing clown shoes with it. Just in case there was any doubt that it’s for morons only

I think the whooshing sound you hear is the point going right over your head. I’ve got a reversible fleece that’s dark blue one side, and hi-viz the other, a jacket like that makes perfect sense for carrying in the car for general outdoors use, and reversible for emergency situations, or where the wearer might be visiting places where hi-viz is a requirement when entering, like our place is.
    I think the ‘armour’ that the model appears to be wearing is just a jokey reference to how tough the coat is supposed to be. I have several hi-viz tabard things in the car, plus a waterproof hi-viz jacket, but my work-issue one is so good I keep it in the car all the time anyway.

LAT

really warm parkas aren’t usually billed as being waterproof as you don’t get rain where it is really cold.

they also don’t breathe that well because the fabric is very tightly woven to keep the feathers in.

in a rainy place synthetic insulation is probably a better choice. if possible, take a trip to some shops and try a few on to decide which your wife likes the fit of

chaos

“Perfect for hills, mountains and urban life.”

No idea what it’s like but spotted it when looking the other day

doris5000

I think the whooshing sound you hear is the point going right over your head. I’ve got a reversible fleece that’s dark blue one side, and hi-viz the other, a jacket like that makes perfect sense for carrying in the car for general outdoors use, and reversible for emergency situations, or where the wearer might be visiting places where hi-viz is a requirement when entering, like our place is.

Did you… er, see the price?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I researched this extensively.

Proper waterproof you’re kind of limited to Helly Hansen.

I bought a Fjallraven Yupik in the end. Warm as anything and a maaaaasive hood (assassin’s creed style) despite my head being massive. Water beads off it.

simian
    Free Member

I’ll second the vote for Didriksons, decent, warm and comfortable. Waterproof enough for anything except a deluge.

jsync

When I was looking earlier in the year I ordered but returned due to fit a Finisterre Vellus. Was very well made, warm and waterproof. Women’s one here

Coat

I ended up with a Fjallraven Skogso Padded which I’m pleased with.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fjallraven Greenland winter parka – lovely warm coat but does need waxing now and again to keep it waterproof.

There’s a ladies version too – my missus was considering it but went with a mountain warehouse insulated parka instead, which was about a third of the price.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Wiggle do a great insulated parka in their own brand “fohn” range.

The quality and warmth is really good on them – mens and womens versions available for £150 ish:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fohn-insulated-parka

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Might be a bit overkill but ME Citadel

doris5000

Thanks for all the tips! A lot more options around than I was expecting. Obviously the £3000 hi-vis is in first place though.

duncancallum

Buffalo?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Warm waterproof(ish) parkas’ is closed to new replies.