Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WARM shoes for flats?
  • p7rich
    Free Member

What you ridin’ in? I get really cold feet, i.e. ice cold toes, even in +1-10 degrees. I’m looking for something that will keep the cold and wet out. Considering Shimano AM41 and Vans Gravels at the mo. Lakes have been recommended for toastiness but they don’t seem to do anything for flats only. Don’t like Five Tens – anything that expensive shouldn’t look that ‘special’.

Feed me your wisdom!

devs
    Free Member

Soz but merino socks in 5:10s are where warm feet are at.

akira

Shimano and woolie boolies for me, seems okay all year round.

ton

5/10 exum guides with merino socks in the dry.
    teva links and knee length seal skins in the wet.

thepurist

I’d go for these over AM41s, especially at that price. Or the Slats if you want something a bit more like a boot.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sealskinz with whichever shoes float your boat FTW

5.10s tend to soak water up and stay wet for days, AM40s/41s & Gravels are better for winter usage IMHO

davieg
    Free Member

Cold and wet feet in 5-10 Impacts and merino socks the other night. Maybe other 5-10 models are less sive like?

Plan to get some knee length army surplus gore tex socks to keep the feet dry. I found Sealskinz socks to be very waterproof, albeit water got down the top of the sock, leaving your feet in a pool of muddy water.

p7rich
    Free Member

I’m not just talking ‘a bit chilly’, i’m talking Raynauds-cold. Any of you above suffer particularly badly with cold extremities before adopting your respective solutions?

(Five Tens. No.)

chiefgrooveguru

Have you thought about buying a size larger so you can wear knee length Sealskinz with another pair of merino socks underneath?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I just bought some Teve Links Mids for £60 in Evans, similar to a light weight walking boot and plenty of toe-wiggling room. They arent waterproof, but supposedly arent as sponge like at 5:10s.

I’ve also got AM41s, they dont offer any real weather resistance either, but dry quicker than Impacts.

Apparently 5:10 do a waterproof boot/shoe designed for scrambling, which was recommended to me (“Guide” maybe), but I havent see them in the UK.

There’s a gap in the market for a decent flat, winter boot with a good ankle cuff – I miss my Northwave Celcius since moving to flats.

But if it’s cold and Reynaulds you’re concerned about, I’d go for thick merino socks and an overshoe, and make sure your boots are loose enough to move around in. Good luck, my GF has it too, and makes riding hard in the winter.

fathomer

My feet are always cold, I’m contemplating trying some Mycoal Feet Warmers

ton

Northwind

Vans Weathers, plus a load of waterproofing spray (they’re supposed to be waterproof, but aren’t up to fending off puddle-splashes without extra proofing). Mine are Edgemonts, I think. TBH they’re pretty bad cycling shoes- very plasticky sole, worst Vans I’ve used for riding in. But they’re dryer than many, and certainly my warmest riding shoes.

Not a perfect solution though. I also got a cheap pair of Shimanos in a size up, so extra space for thicker socks, and they work pretty well too.

No matter what I’m wearing, they’ll have had a blast of grangers waterproofer, makes a surprising difference especially to 5 10 sponges.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Another fan of sealskins, Rich. I hate cold feet and they see me through the winter…

FuzzyWuzzy

The normal sealskinz (top of ankle length) are a waste of money, knee-length ones + merino liner socks when it’s cold are effective though but yeah you’ll likely need to size up otherwise you risk the shoes being so tight you reduce circulation which is counter-productive when trying to keep your feet warm.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

ha ha sorry but i love my 5-10’s

if you hate them though i used to ride in a pair of knackered DC’s, and combined them with a £10 pair of neoprene socks, i think they are for body boarding as they are designed to be worn with flippers and bought from a surf shop, but my feet are always toasty warm

devs
    Free Member

this is for warm feet n’est pas? Teva links are freezing. The only thing between your feet and the freezing night air is a bit of mesh. I know, I’ve got some. They dry out quicker than 5:10s but also let your feet get wetter quicker too. Water repellent spray on 5:10s is brilliant for all but the wettest of days. I can’t think of any bike specific shoe that’s warmer so maybe you’ll have to go walking boot with a stealth sole or similar. Feetfirst do it for you.

traildog
    Free Member

I find my 5.10 Karvers really warm. Far warmer than any SPD style shoe I’ve had in the past. They get wet and stay soaked, but here is so much material that I don’t really get as cold in them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

There’s a gap in the market for a decent flat, winter boot with a good ankle cuff – I miss my Northwave Celcius since moving to flats.

these:

are 5:10 ‘canyoneers’ – canoeists like them (my girlfriend has some), why 5:10 haven’t released them with an mtb sole is beyond me.

p7rich
    Free Member

😯 £30 for a pair socks!! 😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘WARM shoes for flats?’ is closed to new replies.