Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Warhammer
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This thread explains everything about stw.

matt_outandabout

Will 3d printing be the way forward for Warhammer etc? Bye bye games workshop, no?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i had a massive collection (20,000 points) of ‘blood angels’ made up of lots and lots of vehicles which i gave to my little bro, who was too young and trashed them.
    I would be looking at a fair few grand if i sold them now 🙁 whoops

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi there, Space Wolf Commander Tekintmick over here! (Although I have dabbled with Brettonia and Wood Elf forces in Warhammer before).

Welcome to the world of fantasy battles! Looking at your name, I’m assuming you’re female? Which is even better to have you on board, since most gamers and modellers tend to be male (a bit like mountain bikers!)

It’s sounds like you’re thinking along the right lines so far – go to your local GW store and play a small game. A member of staff or a local Lieutenant will be happy to explain the basics to you. There’s no better place to learn and the stores have a really relaxed vibe (unless Ragnar Blackmane is locked in hand to hand combat with a Carnifex! 😀 )

In terms of picking an army, you’re on the right track. Pick the one you like the look of, they all have different characteristics and I’m sure one will appeal to your inner warlord!

The painting and modelling is the best part though since you can do it on your own. If you have absolutely nothing to do with your time then it’s a great way to spend it – painting up squads to battle table standard, bringing out the fine detail on your commanders or making a crumbling factory diorama from empty Frosties packets – there’s no better feeling. And a can of space wolves grey sprayed at close proximity is the ultimate high 😉

I mostly do painting and modelling now, since all my friends have given up gaming. I do sometimes setup a skirmish and play for both sides though.

Also, ignore the mocking that alot of people seem to take pleasure in. Some of the coolest people I know play wargames. Just because you’re a gamer, it doesnt mean you’re a hairy, pot bellied, adolescent with glasses and a Dream Theatre T shirt. I myself keep in shape (as any self respecting Space Wolf Commander would do) and I usually wear converse shoes, skinny jeans and sports brand (Fila/Reebok/Hi Tec) t shirts i.e. I’m not unfashionable.

Any way, enough about that. Hope the above is good encouragement!

BoardinBob

sports brand (Fila/Reebok/Hi Tec) t shirts i.e. I’m not unfashionable.

FYI, Fila, Reebok & Hi Tec are deeply unfashionable

zilog6128

FYI, Fila, Reebok & Hi Tec are deeply unfashionable

WHHOOOOOSH 😆

tinybits
    Free Member

In fairness, they were in fashion, back,in 1993 when he was just a corporal vampire wombat.

damn, it looks like I’m one of the mockery and I was actually interested when I opened this thread!

enigmas
    Free Member

Used to play 40k a lot, I played mainly for the gaming side of it and did fairly okay in tournaments, in the end the stupid high places(started when a land raider was 25 quid, it was 40 when i stopped and i’d dread to think what is is now)drove me out, though i still read a lot of the fluff.

Oh, and Dawn of War 2 came out, I spent wayyyyyyyy too long on that game..

racefaceec90

i always wanted to play space hulk/warhammer/D & D e.t.c but never had any friends who were into it 🙁

i did love painting the figures though (just not very good at it.

goes off to google space marine terminators

awesome 😀

bigblackshed

Also, ignore the mocking that alot of people seem to take pleasure in. Some of the coolest people I know play wargames. Just because you’re a gamer, it doesnt mean you’re a hairy, pot bellied, adolescent with glasses and a Dream Theatre T shirt.

But the stereotype of Captain Sweatpants is disturbingly real.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Used to work for GW. Any decently trained staff won’t be over the top with the sell, as pushing it where it’s not wanted loses sales rather than gains them. So head down and be very clear with them what you’re wanting. But also bear in mind that despite what they might like to give the impression of, it’s a shop, not a club where they’ll teach you everything, so any “learning” activity will be pushed in the direction of sales.

As for the “GW is about to die” rumours, it’s happened many times before and they’re still going. Every time prices go up, it’s the end, yet never is. Could be wrong this time, but I doubt it.

And as for stripping models, our favourite method was brake fluid and an old toothbrush.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The best trick to get a cheap 40K army used to be to buy Space Crusade and nick all of the Marines from there.

I heard if you win all of the Warhammer they can take you in the back of the shop and give you back your virginity, if you need it.

garage-dweller

I had quite a selection of 40k marines and a few space orks. Never played a game it was the building and painting thing I liked. Games always seemed too complicated when there were bikes to ride or boats to sail.

stimpy
    Free Member

Warhammer 40K was the main game for me – Imperial Guards FTW! Land Raiders everywhere with Commissars and swathes of units swarming the battlefield.

Had a squad of terminators for the odd Space Hulk venture too.

And Blood Bowl – cracking game. Had two teams – one lot of orcs, snotlings and a troll, another team of skaven.

And every now and then a little bit of Adeptus Titanicus too.

Probably explains quite a lot, thinking about it.

pictonroad

I think mtb gearheads are one step away from miniature gamers tbh,

No no no…

Northwind

stimpy – Member

And every now and then a little bit of Adeptus Titanicus too.

Epic scale stuff was the business… Made more sense too, “in the grim darkness of the 40th millenium… every conflict is settled by 30 guys punching each other in a field”

“Uh, hey, why is everyone so impressed by that dude over there with the spiky hat? I have this titan with a gun so big y’all could live inside it…”

“No! Too big for the table battlefield. This war will be settled with spiky hats.”

chrisdw
    Free Member

I bought a small group of 12 Lord of the rings figures. Enjoyed painting them, but I was already into bikes by this point so didn’t bother again.

vixalot
    Free Member

Thanks davidtaylforth 🙂 (yes female), Im going for a lesson later this week ( warhammer world ) after a few more lessons ( just to make sure I like it ) I will see which appeals to my inner warlord 🙂

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Good luck with it. I rediscovered all my old models from when I was a kid a few years ago and got back into it for a while. Lots of good things about the game in theory, but it seems far too commercial now for my taste. The new rules are designed about selling models rather than creating a good game. There are lots of great guys who play but an equal number who take it all too seriously. Try and find a local independent club, normally a much better standard of play than at a store.

Ebay is your friend if you are putting a new army together

Just started selling my collection which is a bit heart wrenching…

wiggles
    Free Member

I tried to get into it when I was younger but I always felt very out of place whenever I walked in gamesworkshop with my mates, just wasn’t enough of a geek i suppose…

I still have a bunch of unopened LOTR warhammer at my mums house.

stimpy
    Free Member

Northwind 😆

I loved the epic scale stuff. Imperial Titans were the absolute dogs nads.

Proper big guns FTW 😀

darrell
    Free Member

Anyone played warhammer quest on the iphone/ipad?

ratherbeintobago

“No! Too big for the table battlefield. This war will be settled with spiky hats.”

IIRC there was a 40K scale Reiver doing the rounds when I played.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@greeble – @Pimpmaster Jazz one of those landraiders may have made its way to me

I sold two of them in original box as a pair – quite early and rare IIRC as after that I only saw them sold singly. I’ve got another one and a Predator that will be heading ebay-ward at some point. Both were Golden Demon projects that were never completed (many, many years ago).

packer – This brings back some memories!
    I cleared out my parents loft last year and found a big box of mint condition White Dwarf mags… will get round to looking through them one day which will be fun.

@Pimpmaster_Jazz – I have a vague memory of some epic battles round at Gareth’s house…

Ha! Yes. Didn’t he have a small dwarf army?

Think I binned all my White Dwarfs (White Dwarves?) 🙁

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Some of the coolest people I know play wargames….

…since all my friends have given up gaming. I do sometimes setup a skirmish and play for both sides…

Stop now David – you’re still ahead. 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

he’s not, he’s so far behind i’ve been giggling for the last 18 hours….

packer
    Free Member

Ha! Yes. Didn’t he have a small dwarf army?

Think I binned all my White Dwarfs (White Dwarves?)

Yeah I think he did, I did too.

Just checked eBay and it turns out those old mags are worth next to nothing. Good excuse to keep them 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

geeks the lot of you.

I played WRG wargames with 25mm Ancient armies. Sad ultra geekness with real history thrown in (assuming the Sassanid Persians had a time machine and really did come up against Alexander the Great)

The tip to picking an army is pick one you can love even when it is losing . For me A the G’s Macedonians cos they had flair and even if they were losing you can always rally two men and a dog on a hill and go down fighting. I hated the ancient Brittan’s as points wise they were cheep as chips so it was hard to fit them all on a table, a pain to move all of them and they either won in a few tidal wave like moves or jacked it in and ran away en mass.

sykik
    Free Member

Used to play loads when I was younger. Had a pretty decent sized Dark Angel army but sold it all. A friend of mine had his loft boarded out and a few of us would set up huge multi army games which would take up many after school evenings. Good fun when arguments weren’t breaking out over the rules.

Even though I don’t collect the models or game anymore i’m still heavily caught up in the 40K Novels. Only discovered them a few years ago and i’m completely hooked.

Northwind

ratherbeintobago – Member

IIRC there was a 40K scale Reiver doing the rounds when I played.

Ooh. There were always people doing Warhounds (or planning to) and gargants but that’s a bit of a step up.I saw photos of some guy that was doing a wrecked warlord terrain set- individual pieces like a cannon sticking out of the ground, or a chunk of shoulder armour you could move into. Ace.

crankrider
    Free Member

Mucked about with it when i was younger, enjoyed painting them more than playing.

I would not mention playing it to anyone you want to have any alone-time with, my oh still takes the piss that i even had anything to do with it when i was younger – unless they play too that is.

Bloody strange guys in some of the shops, harmless but strange…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I used to play a bit but much preferred the painting of the figures.

War Hammer 40k for me with a Space Marine army. A few if my mates used to be in to it too and most of the games turned into an argument.

Looking back now it was quite nerdy.

mattbee

Played for a good few years from school through to Uni. Mainly Epic and 40k, Ultramarines ftw. As I got older I became more into painting and modelling dioramas than playing, which seems to be the trend for many.
    I did really like the relatively short lived Man O War maritime game, had a Dwarf navy for that, slow but hard as ****!
    At the peak of my interest me and a few mates spent weeks of summer holiday time setting up giant games. We would start with an Epic scale one and then whenever bits got to look tasty we would move into 40k and fight them as skirmishes in that, using e outcomes of the 40k games instead of just playing the Epic rules. Sigh, those were the Lynx drenched heavy metal soundtracked black t shirt and jeans fuelled days….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just checked eBay and it turns out those old mags are worth next to nothing. Good excuse to keep them

The figures are still collecting small fortunes. They certainly haven’t got any cheaper…

Northwind

For me the best was Gorkamorka. Reason being, no bugger ever actually played it but it was brilliant for modelwork. Basically 40K orks, without any of the gameplay restrictions, and with added Mad Max and LRDG. Got to find those Trukks.

GregMay
    Free Member

I used to play Warhammer fantesy when I was a lot younger, then moved onto 40k, then more or less settled into Necromunda for a few years as it was cheaper and gave us a bit more quick fun. A lot of the folks I used to game with do bike, or fell run. Just introverted people doing introverted sports I suppose.

I still play board games quite a bit, even got my partner gaming now which is nice. It took a while but it’s good as we can just relax and do ‘not exercise’ type things together. No TV in the house so it’s a nice way to spend an evening.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Warhammer’ is closed to new replies.