War of the World Sun 9pm

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • War of the World Sun 9pm
  • Why was Spall hiding under a delivery from his timber merchant?

And what was with the rising, spinning giant kiwi fruit?

Really disappointed.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Then why call it The War of the Worlds? You’re just trading on people’s expectations of something else

A shit double album that “everyone” loved back in to 70s?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Not watched it yet, but if you want a faithful version of the book, try the BBC Radio 4 dramatisation.

It really is excellent.

Should be available somewhere……

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

WOTW was not great, but it was not intended as a direct interpretation of the book, and why should it be?

Cause it was the first time something had been made true to the victorian theme. they’ve made a balls of it tbh. What they’ve got is watchable, but it could have been great.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

😂

Cause it was the first time something had been made true to the victorian theme. they’ve made a balls of it tbh.

By setting it in the Edwardian period, for a start. 🙂

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Then why call it The War of the Worlds? You’re just trading on people’s expectations of something else

Yeah, the wife and I were listening to it a few weeks ago… only got 3 tracks into it before turning it off.

IHN

The chan-ces of Dez-B liking that al-bum
    Were a million-to-one they saaaaaid….

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Formative years of rebellion and just getting into Iggy & punk! Wasn’t gonna happen was it 😀

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

they’ve made a balls of it tbh.

I don’t think they have. I think the problem is every-one thinks they know they story, but the “heroes” (the two narrators, the man and his brother) have no “back story” they don’t introduce themselves, we don’t know what they do (if you think the first narrator is a journalist, that’s from the first radio play) all we know is that they are brothers, one s married and lives in Surrey, and has an astrologer friend, so everything about the main protagonist, you have to invent…And the story is historical narrative, so unless you have an almost continuous voice over, it isn’t ever going to be a faithful “version”

You also have to fill in a bunch of blacks in the narration, at one point when the second Martian starts with the heat ray, he (the narrator) runs away in terror, it’s only in the next chapter that we learn Maybury (his home town) has been destroyed, so the film version has to show that…

By setting it in the Edwardian period, for a start.

Pedantry corner, the book was published in 1898, so it’s actually at the fag end of the Victorian period. (Queen Vic died in 1901)

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

You also have to fill in a bunch of blacks…

Gosh – that must be in episode two, didn’t notice it last night.

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

I was looking forward to it but thought it was utter shit. Too much romance and not enough tripods blowing the shit out of everything. Makes the Tom Cruise film version look good.

doris5000

tempted to give it a whirl. The apparent absence of people running away from CGI explosions makes it sound quite good IMO

olddog

I thought it was a bit meh. May get better.

4 star review in the Guardian thpugh…

You also have to fill in a bunch of blacks

I had heard that WoTW did indeed have a strong anti-colonial message.

The apparent absence of people running away from CGI explosions makes it sound quite good IMO

How are you with people running away from poorly executed CGI explosions, or getting vaporised with heatrays done in After Effects?

doris5000

How are you with people running away from poorly executed CGI explosions, or getting vaporised with heatrays done in After Effects?

……ah.

ok, i’ll see how bored i get!

deadkenny

As a note, BBC didn’t make this. ITV’s Mammoth Screen made it partly on behalf of the BBC. It’s distributed globally and on DVD/Blu Ray etc by ITV.

Not that the BBC aren’t capable of producing crap themselves.

Anyway, bit here about the gender bias or agenda that explains the switch to a female lead and naff male characters because a book in the 1890s is obviously unfilmable with a male lead and no female parts of note.

https://spectator.org/the-war-of-the-woke-hollywood-turns-on (gloss over reference to Hollywood. Pretty sure BBC and ITV aren’t based in Hollywood).

chewkw

I like the period costume but they better up their game by incinerating more people in a gory way …

More cannon more guns more firing more guts and less of the tea drinking I say my good man/woman.

😒

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

We need Peter Jackson to make the pukka, definitive version!

A nineteen hour version with about eleven false endings that starts off really well and slowly turns to shit?

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Anyway, bit here about the gender bias or agenda that explains the switch to a female lead and naff male characters because a book in the 1890s is obviously unfilmable with a male lead and no female parts of note.

I thought this about World on Fire, the female characters were relatively far stronger, more capable and resolute than the blokes, (although Harry did up his game as the series progressed TBF). It’s probably about time a predominantly, (though not universally) heroic manly bias was balanced up a bit.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Gosh – that must be in episode two, didn’t notice it last night.

Can’t use it in the 21st century.

chewkw

I think Ridley Scott might be a more suitable director by applying the techniques from Alien.

…the female characters were relatively far stronger, more capable and resolute than the blokes …

Just give the female the starring roles and get the tripod to incinerate that reporter bloke coz he is a waste of space.

CountZero

It’s watchable, but why are they not just being true to the book?

Name me one film or TV series that has been. Much of the criticism seems to be based on the fact that not much seems to be happening in the first episode – it’s spread across a number of episodes, allowing for greater exploration of the lives of those involved without too much exposition, which a single episode wouldn’t allow, or a film for that matter.
    Oddly enough, that lack of exposition is a criticism levelled at His Dark Materials as well.
    BTW, the narrator’s name is George…

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

My god that was awful, terrible directing with overly long hanging in almost every scene.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

BTW, the narrator’s name is George…

Only in this version, in the Spielberg film he was called Ray, in the 1953 film version he’s called Clayton.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Watched it, quite liked it!

And Mrs Poldark was definately riding a pop eyed hobby horse.

Now that was funny….

Like the way they’ve set him up as a flawed character from the start.

Wasn’t that fussed about the effects, they did the job.

deadkenny

He doesn’t even have a name in the book.

Anyway,the idea was to mix in references to Wells’s real life at the time, hence George, and talk about divorce and hooking up with Amy. Soap opera stuff that has nothing to do with the book or story.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Reckon about twenty minutes of that was just reporter dude standing staring at stuff, his survival instinct doesn’t seem to exist.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

his survival instinct doesn’t seem to exist.

Some else clearly has memories of WotW that aren’t actually part of the source material. The narrator in the book, mostly survives by employing the tactics of Brave Sir Robin (running away etc) In fact towards the end he realizes there is no hope and runs in front of a tripod hoping that it will kill him. when it doesn’t (’cause the martian is dead) it causes him to have a mental breakdown and he spends a good while recovering in a sanitorium before reluctantly (because he thinks his wife is dead) going home. He is not a brave protagonist, but a (mostly) terrified observer.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

The random flash forwards didn’t exactly help either.

Doesn’t look like the rest of the series is going to follow the storyline based on them

The Astronomer Royal was a royal bellend!

doris5000

@nickc – did you actually like it though?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

@doris5000 yes I did, but then I knew  before watching it that it was going to mix elements of HG’s life into the narrative (the whole plot line about his unhappy marriage to his cousin) so I knew what to expect, and TBH, every version has come up against the same issues that this one has, in that everyone thinks they know the story…when in reality it’s really difficult to translate into another medium without adding and changing a whole bunch of material so that you don’t get a weirdly disjointed joint narrative told from 2 completely different people’s perspectives

OK, the horse head effect wasn’t that “special” but it’s Sunday night bath-telly, so I’m happy to overlook. I think it’s started quite well, let’s see where it goes.

mental breakdown and he spends a good while recovering in a sanitorium before reluctantly

Sorry to be picky, but its not a sanitorium – just the house of “some kindly people”, or that’s what is says in my version.

so that you don’t get a weirdly disjointed joint narrative told from 2 completely different people’s perspectives

I reckon the best way to treat War of the Worlds and still remain true to HG Wells’ vision is to ignore the characters in the book completely. Create four of five different characters who can witness the sudden downfall of the most powerful nation on earth from different perspectives and tell their stories instead. – that’s sort of what Wells was trying to do in the book.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

My 2p worth…

Me and Mrs Spider watched it last night and thought it was quite good.

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

We thought it was excellent Sunday night TV.

project

It was a bit crap, thankfully i player has fast forward, the bits filmed in Liverpool where quite good as where the parts filmed in Bunbury Cheshire,and Formby woods was a long night time shoot over many nights says a freind who worked on it, but somebody sort the editing out so the extras are moving before they show them standing still and then just moving,to a shout of move etc.

Also who spent part of the budget on small fires in random places, and polystyrene wooden joists in the house destroyed scene. Otherwise the CGI effects seemed to do the job,but lets see more of the tripods in Liverpool on Sunday, destroying a semi derelict building near the mersey tunnel.

PJM1974

Having been a fan of the original novel for thirty-six years, I found little to dislike about the first episode. WoTW has always been about more than an alien invasion, there’s social commentary, the growing paranoia as to the ambitions of our neighbouring countries and the dread of merciless mechanised war that came to pass two decades after it was written. I’m more than fine with Ogilvy being an “outcast”, the swapping of Ogilvy in the novel with the Astronomer Royal to fly the flag of futile establishment pratfall and resulting microwaving.

Having a woman co-lead is also fine by me – the scriptwriters wouldn’t have wasted the Downtown Abby aesthetic to broaden the appeal of the mini series beyond sci-fi nerds. As others have pointed out, Wells’ narrator in the novel mentions that he has an unnamed wife quite casually, certainly the poor woman plays second fiddle to the exploits of the narrator’s brother, fleeing towards Maldon.

The change of setting from late Victorian to Edwardian was a good thing too – khaki uniforms instead of scarlet are more relateable for modern viewers post Downtown Abby and Blackadder Goes Fourth.

I know that playing with the linearity of the narrative is a trope in sci-fi nowadays, but the flash forwards’ scenes weren’t an awful idea. They did at least break up the plodding build up around turn of the century Woking and the Admiralty. The artilleryman was seen, but had no dialogue at the end of the first episode, so I felt that the pacing was too slow in parts.

Anyway, I liked it. As a sci-fi nerd there was plenty for me to enjoy, despite the lack of CGI hulking great Dreadnoughts, Torpedo Rams or whatever steaming majestically and fatefully towards heat ray spewing tripods.

If you want to watch a thrilling sci-fi movie about merciless aliens that invade the planet to enslave and destroy humankind with a little bit of social politics, ultimately with humanity triumphing thanks to humble Earth viruses thwarting the otherwise meticulous invaders’ plans then there’s Independence Day. Or Mars Attacks.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I enjoyed it & gained lots of house points by spotting Dudley Dursley before my Harry Potter mad OH 😎

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.