Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • War of the World Sun 9pm
  • chewkw
    Free Member

FFS … going cheap on special effect are we … 😡

Just wasted 1 hour of my life waiting for alien tripod to show up only to see all those Jibber Jabber bloody romance …

FFS this is science fiction Not some bloody romance.

Evaporate that bloody journalist FFS! 😡

bikebouy
    Free Member

But it’s not designed for people who have a brain…

tthew

Not a fan then chewkw?

Agree about the low rent effects though. And IIRC that was the reason it was delayed since last Christmas!

richmars

I wasn’t expecting much, giving how little publicity I had seen about this, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Drac

He still didn’t enjoy it.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s not supposed to stress people up watching it either.

Not a fan then chewkw?

Am a fan but just not a fan of those bloody romance when I want to see alien tripod.

myti
    Free Member

What a load of shite! I never thought they might get spilt up. Lucky they knew where to meet in case they got split up!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I enjoyed when he climbed of a whole house that had been piled up on him.

chewkw
    Free Member

What a load of shite! I never thought they might get spilt up. Lucky they knew where to meet in case they got split up!

They can finish a sentence in few seconds but they dragged on and on and on … FFS! 😡

I enjoyed when he climbed of a whole house that had been piled up on him.

That is another stupid scene as he should be half dead or dead. 😡

kelvin

Lucky they knew where to meet in case they got split up!

Spoiler:
    The end scenes suggests that doesn’t go too well.
    martinhutch

richmars

Subscriber
    I wasn’t expecting much, giving how little publicity I had seen about this, and I wasn’t disappointed.

To be fair, the chances of anything positive coming from Richmars, was a million to one, they said.

I thought it was a bit poor in comparison to what preceded it.

tthew

Ha, yes. I immediately thought, bloody hell, he’s stong. Those beams would have been a few hundred weight each.

And Mrs Poldark was definately riding a pop eyed hobby horse.

Still, it’s only telly.

chewkw
    Free Member

The end scenes suggests that doesn’t go too well.

How hard can it be to meet at the same place unless his brain was fried but that did not happen …
    How can he got lost in those days? FFS!

They might all have a cup of tea … tea sir? Tea Madam?

Still, it’s only telly.

Yes, but at least take some effort to create something “realistic” …

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

LAME.   Very LAME.  For me it fell apart with the whole spinning globe bit.

I do like the red head though (Mrs M, also the red head will murder me to death if she finds out😂)

chewkw
    Free Member

I do like the red head though (Mrs M, also the red head will murder me to death if she finds out😂)

Did not notice the red head at all. i.e. the hair but I noticed her high cheek bones and big eyes. 🤔

PJM1974
    Free Member

Spoiler alert: The Martians all succumb to earthly bacterial infections and die after blowing the crap out of Woking.

And it’s War of the Worlds (plural).

tthew

Yes, but at least take some effort to create something “realistic”

They should definitely have got real tripod alien spaceships from Mars to play the baddies, not those CGI ones 🤣

I’m not disagreeing with your sentiment though, or opinion on Ms. Tomlinson.

Could alway watch IACGMOOH.

revs1972
    Free Member

Spoiler alert: The Martians all succumb to earthly bacterial infections and die after blowing the crap out of Woking.

Were they at the Pizza Express ? pretty sure they would remember if they were 😜

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s watchable, but why are they not just being true to the book?

senorj

“To be fair, the chances of anything positive coming from Richmars, was a million to one, they said.”

bravo. coffee/laptop interface.

richmars

Martin, Very good, shame only people of a certain age will get the reference.

Also, what was all that about the bloke trying to get a divorce? Is that in the book?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m hoping all the Special effects have been saved for…

… Thunderchild!

dirkpitt74

Have to agree it was a bit meh.
    The opening speech just wasn’t the same without Richard Burton….

nickc

Is that in the book?

No, we don’t even learn the narrators name, and he’s married, I think the first we learn of his wife is when he tries to leave Maybury after the Martians use the heat ray on the Soldiers

Trimix
    Free Member

Is this the version where Captain Poldark kills the Martians ?

Also, what was all that about the bloke trying to get a divorce? Is that in the book?

H.G. Wells is one of my favourite authors.

There are characters like those two in some of Well’s other books (the non science fiction ones) – but I doubt the script writers bothered to read any of his other stuff. I suppose they thought they were being clever and “woke” rather than referencing well known 1900s/10s/20’s social commentary.

I quite liked Robert Carlyle as a gay Ogilvy

But the Martian invasion bit just doesn’t feel right, and those flash-forwards wiht the re-head wondering around in a red landscape just don’t work.

And bodies floating down the Thames past Parliament – they would all get caught up in the locks and weirs up-stream.

thepurist

Allegedly it’s partly a reflection of Wells’ own life – he moved to Woking after starting a relationship with a younger woman while he was already married, and they lived together for a bit when that wasn’t the done thing.

rOcKeTdOg

Woking after starting a relationship with a younger woman while already married, and they lived together for a bit when that wasn’t the done thing.

It still isn’t….well maybe in Woking

Drac

It’s all a bit.

Harry_the_Spider

Mrs Poldark was definately riding a pop eyed hobby horse

Euphemism?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

How hard can it be to take a simple, beloved, classic story and just film it? Everyone from George Pal, Steven Spielberg to the current BBC effort have just ballsed it up.

We need Peter Jackson to make the pukka, definitive version!

bikebouy
    Free Member

It reminded me of a Series in the same vein as Dr Who.. but for teenagers instead of children as the target audience.

Theres plenty the BBC could do to relive a story, theres tomes written of fabulous tales of adventure and intrigue .. but Nope, they re-has a badly written version of a story and put on at the same time Tom Cruise is doing the real thing over on Sky Movies…

DrJ

Sometimes think I live in a parallel universe when it comes to TV and films. We watched the first episode of Dark Materials and soundlessly agreed that it was crap and we wouldn’t watch any more. WOTW was not great, but it was not intended as a direct interpretation of the book, and why should it be?

(Tom Cruise? Don’t make me laugh !!)

We need Peter Jackson to make the pukka, definitive version!

Like he did(n’t) with the hobbit and LOTR?

Drac

WOTW was not great, but it was not intended as a direct interpretation of the book, and why should it be?

Exactly.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

WOTW was not great, but it was not intended as a direct interpretation of the book, and why should it be?

Then why call it The War of the Worlds? You’re just trading on people’s expectations of something else.

martinhutch

soundlessly agreed that it was crap

Trying to picture how this looks. Quizzical look, solemn shake of the head, throat-cutting gesture?

stevextc
    Free Member

Ummm, cos they stole the name?

What next? A book based on the film ?

Yes, but at least take some effort to create something “realistic” …

The original radio show did that….. turned out not to be that good a thing 😀

nickc

How hard can it be to take a simple, beloved, classic story and just film it?

Because (if you’ve ever read the book) you’d understand why. It’s told in two parts by a narrator (unnamed) and his brother (also unnamed) as a sort of historical report. It works well as a book..not a great basis for a film. So every film version is made so the action is contemporaneous. The Spielberg version actually sticks pretty close to the book, It makes a few character changes (the curate and soldier become one person, and the narrator’s brother becomes his son) but the actions of those characters are pretty much in line with the book. Even the happy ending which many criticise incorrectly as Hollywood affectation when it’s actually the end of the book.

For those criticising the love story aspect…That is the whole effing point of the book, the narrator’s struggles to find out what’s happened to his wife, his suicide attempt when he thinks all is lost, and final realisation that the Martians have succumbed, and fantastically reuniting with his wife at the end. It is a love story!

Drac

Then why call it The War of the Worlds? You’re just trading on people’s expectations of something else.

Because it’s based on the book that does not mean it should follow it exactly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘War of the World Sun 9pm’ is closed to new replies.