Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Wanted: Riders, South Lakes or Peak[s 👿] Weekend or Midweek
  • IHN

I’m sure this is just a passing shower and it’ll be dry by six…

IHN

And they’re not hailstones :-0

nbt

Bone dry this side of the ridge

edward2000
    Free Member

The Rain Today app shows the rain cloud to be gone in a few minutes

nbt

Still to decide what to ride – FS, HT or CX…

IHN

You’re clearly in our rain shadow, it’s persisting down over here

IHN

Still to decide what to ride – FS, HT or CX…

Do any of them come with a snorkel?

scc999

Finally stopped raining here….

samhay
    Free Member

The sun’s out. I’m sure it’ll last.
    (for a little while)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Well that worked out splendidly. Sun came out just in time.
    Many thanks for coming up with an excellent route IHN.

LL1: don’t just follow the green highlighter pen on the map. Work out which is the outward direction and follow that.😔
    LL2: Get some sort of electronic map thing. The route we did changed from South Peak to North Peak mapabout eight times. I managed to drop the map on one of the downhills, oops.😟
    LL3: Multi tool screwdrivers are shit for forcing apart overextended brake pistons. Whassname’s brake pads fell out on one section and he said he’d lost his split pin. I managed to get the pads back in with a replacement split pin only to realise that the spring was also missing. So took it apart again and rummaged around before luckily finding a spare set of Shim4pot pads with the right spring. All sorted.😃

nbt

Cracking ride in the best traditions of the old Chilterns 1XV @alex: ride bikes, drink beer, talk bollocks

Let’s do it again

edward2000
    Free Member

Cheers for sorting my brake Alex! I wasn’t looking forward to finishing that ride with only a front brake.

Hopefully see you all again at some point.

Ed

scc999

Cheers all – good to get out and to ride in a new location.

Beer went down well too!

Si

sharkey
    Free Member

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Good to meet you all. Be great to do another

IHN

Aye, smashing evening, cheers all. I rounded it off on the ride home by saving an ‘ickle baby lamb that had got stuck in the wrong field, and couldn’t get back to its mum. Fast buggers, lambs 🙂

There was talk of a WhatsApp group. I’ve now leapt into 2003 and got WhatsApp, but I don’t know how to set these things up, so over to someone else…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

In dereference to the Marple Riders yahoo group of yesteryear, I’ve set up Disley Riders on WA.
    PM me your numbers if you want in.
    Got IHN, SC999, Samhay

samhay
    Free Member

Didn’t fall in the canal on way home, so was all grand. Thanks All and see you on WhatsApp.

nbt

I set a few PBs along the canal on the way home – in fact I set some PBs along the whole ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/5286353603

PMed you my number

Bunnyhop

I hope there is room for a small, slow one at the back next time.
    Saving the lamb has made me very happy. nbt and I have experience of doing this on many a ride. Once it was too late and nbt had to pull a dead lamb out of the mother (she was in a bad way). But that’s a story for another day.

legrimpeur
    Free Member

I might tag along, sounds fun. I’ll pm you my number.
    Chris

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Well, finally managed to fulfil a long time agreement from 3 months ago to show Bigyim and his mate a bit of the Peak District.
    Despite the mediocre forecast, and double colds, the two of them made the longish drive oop north. The great thing was that they have never cycled the Peak before so was genuinely showing them something new. Gave me a chance to try out my favourite tarmac minimisation, van assisted loop.
    As part of my push to be more accurate and focussed with ride lengths I had put the base route onto OSApp and measured it at around 22km with 470hm. I then had 4 other optional sections to add on if things were going well. Normally I just use a map and then cycle till I fall over but I’ve realised that not everyone wants to cycle til they’re exhausted and then realise it’s still another 15km to go… and post Covid, neither do I.

We met at bottom of broken road and did some cunning shenaigans with cars which left one of theirs there and the rest of us at the far west end of Rushup edge. (inlcuding my mate Dave) Quickly warmed up on the bridleway, which was suprisingly dry. By Mam Nick it appeared that everyone was solid so we did Optional extra 1 straight down to Greenlands Farm, which is brilliant descent with loads of ditches and berms to bounce off.

To avoid the tedious tarmac runout at Greenlands we hung a right and headed up to Hollin’s Cross. They appear to have done some work on this trail to remove the worst of the ridges and it’s now emminently rireable to the cross. I almost cleaned it, but not quite.

Quick stop
    then down Backtor:

Not sure if this is Greenlands or Backtor !

Jaggers ascent was, as usual, very pleasant until the point it dumps 70m of height gain to the stream, just to rear back up with another rock filled uphill. At this point Bigyim was putting soooooo much power down that his chain broke, so I fished out a quicklink and it was quickly re-assembled…

Then it was dissassembled again and put back on the correct side of the seatstay 🙂 Crying shame to damage his lovely new paintjob.

After a quick discussion we added on the second detour by nipping down The Beast.

Which was bloody marvelous fun.

Back up through Fangorn

(many thanks to Pook or whoever it was that told me about it last year. Lovely way of getting back to the top.

then along towards Winhill

Added another detour down ‘hingy

Up Roman Road

Down Hope Brink or whatever it’s called to the slightly annoying tarmac descent back to Hope, but then at least we’d got two off road descents for that one bit of tarmac. Then back Castleton, the Cavedale Option having been binned as too much to manage before the 2pm deadline. 27km with ~950m of ascent.
    The chaps jumped in their cars and headed back home and I dragged Dave back into Castleton to eat Cake, Pies, Coffee and stuff. Was well thirsty by this point as my bottle appears to have escaped on Greenlands Farm descent. Then another 8km / 250hm up Broken Road back to our cars.

Had bits and pieces of rain, but nothing like as much as forecast, so happy on that front.

Some good learnings for me again. Not on the navigation front, but in prepping the routes more thoroughly and quantifying the Optional sections rather than just doing my usual “it’ll be fine” as we tag on yet another hill.
    Also chuffed that Dave had to avail himself of the spare gloves that I had stached in the car for exactly that reason.
    After a momentary worry, was also good to see my box of 8,9,10,11 & 12 speed chainlinks in my repair kit along with the pliers. Couldn’t recall seeing them on Wednesday when Ed’s brakes broke, but they were indeed packed.
    Need to get a non shit water bottle cage. I mean really, how hard can it be… metal cage to hold a bottle of water.
    Shimano 12 speed still sounds like a bag of spanners in the mud/grit. Been dry for so long I’d forgotten how bad it actually is.

Many thanks to the chaps for coming up, let me know if you’re back again en-masse later in the summer.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Busy next weekend, but could take time off midweek if there’s a group wants to go out.

Also, advance notice that I’ll be in the Lakes 29 May to 3 June and hoping to get out on a couple of big rides if I can. Let me know if anyone wants to join me.

tuboflard

Great ride that, still not done the climb back up from the bottom of the Beast yet. Went out last night as thought the forecast today looked miserable but doesn’t seem to have spoiled the ride.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anyone up for Wednesday (19/5) afternoon ride in the Peak?

@funkrodent
    , @onzadog, @anorak, @crankbreaker expressed interest in a half day earlier in the thread…

funkrodent

Sorry, this week’s not good for me. And with half term looming it’s going to be 2nd week of June before mid week becomes viable again.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, Wednesday might actually work for me. Just got the bike clean after yesterday.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep, Wednesday might actually work for me

Is that for an afternoon or evening?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can do either. Afternoon might actually be better.

nbt

In celebration of the group ride

Did anyone get a pic of @TheGeneralist highlighted against the evening skyline, while fixing the broken eBike?

frogrocket
    Free Member

I’m keen for a ride tomo but could only do eve. Give me a shout if anyone’s keen. Aiming for a 6pm start, prob Hayfield but I’m easy and open to suggestions.

nbt

6pm from Disley Station tonight. Note STATION car park (off the A6) not the Ram’s Head car park (off Buxton Old Road). They’re right next to each other but the station car park is free, the Ram’s Head isn’t unless you eat/drink in the Rams Head

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Good call Jules.
    IHN has set up https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/8531017/Hague-Bar-Roman-Lakes-Canal-Paper-Mill

Right-o. Wheels roll 6pm 19 May. Disley station car park. Chilled pace random group ride
    Welcome to join @frogrocket

Anyone want added to the WhatsApp group, PM me your number.

frogrocket
    Free Member

Cheers. Have PM’d for WA group

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi.
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up for a ride next week 29 May to 4 June on the Lakes?

Either a shortish ride round Duddon or a longer epic?

I’ll be in Duddon Valley. Not sure which days I’ll be free but if anyone is interested then PM me your number and I’ll get in touch.

Cheers

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone fancy a ride out either Friday, Saturday or Monday?

If nobody is out then I’ll probably see if I can coax a ton out of my [ not really] new bike, just to see if I can. But would much rather take a group out somewhere good.

Options include:

Nibthwaite, Parkamoor, Breasty Haw, Fox etc ( Grizedale) with an option on Walna Scar descent to Torver.

Borrowdale and some of the other stuff NE of Staveley that I’ve not done.

Doctors Gate round to Cut Gate loop.

Stanage, Blackamoor, Eastern Fells route.

Some combination of these two with an option on Cavedale.

Or even the usual Rushup, Edale, Hollins, Backtor, Jagger’s, Beast, Roman, Cavedale trip

Or indeed whatever anyone wants to do, but perhaps isn’t sure when, how etc.

Tell me.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Really good ride Friday @onzadog . Many thanks

Bitta Plantation:
    [/url]

So good, we did it twice….

Bitta steep Tech…

Loved this section. Real shame I’ve already forgotten where it was 😉
    [/url]

jekkyl

Me and my mate doing a ladybower loop tomorrow morning (14/06) but we don’t need a leader. Just standard roman Rd up, beast, nabbs wood, res, wlt, pint at the inn perhaps, back over win hill. I’ve been off the bike for several months due to illness so I won’t be the fastest but I will bring my humour 😋😉. I think we’ve spoken before generalist. Starting in hope at approx between 10.30-11. We’ll be driving from Stoke. Pm if you wanna join anyone.

continuity
    Free Member

Did this thread die or move elsewhere?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Stupidly I can’t recall my exact thinking on why I didn’t continue this thread. I *think* the reasoning was that it was getting very long and tricky to find the info about specific planned rides. Also that it felt a bit indulgent continuing it for too long.

There were a few (equally indulgent) spinoffs, like this one 🙂

Phew, what a ‘week’ – 20,000ft

The main reason was because it had served its purpose from my PoV. I did loads of new rides, with loads of new people and learned/refined loads of stuff. And did my assessment at the end of summer. So all good 🙂

Alongside this thread, a WhatsApp group wat set up for rides around the Disley (West Peak) area. Ironically I’ve only managed to attend about 4 or 5 of those rides, but Simon, Sam and some others have been out most weeks since then.

if anyone wants to join that West Peak WhatsApp group then let me know

I’ve done some other great rides up in the Cairngorms and Lakes this year with the family, but we have been somewhat impacted by 4 separate Covids, the last of which the missus and me still have a bit of.

Spent some time doing my website, SEO etc and need to work out the best way of getting to the next stage.

I’m somewhat restricted at present with what time I have available, but hoping to run a trip to southern Cairngorms later in the year and do loads more in the Lakes.

continuity
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

Much appreciated – wish there was a general ‘northern england’ riding group – being in Yorkshire you’re sort of close to everything but with nothing amazing on your doorstep, so most places are a bit of a mission and better shared!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Wanted: Riders, South Lakes or Peak[s 👿] Weekend or Midweek’ is closed to new replies.