Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • Wanted: Riders, South Lakes or Peak[s 👿] Weekend or Midweek
  • Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

Regarding The Pekes next week, weather forecast looks a bit mediocre. I suggest Wednesday or Thursday evening as the two options, and we decide based on the forecast closer to the time. Is that ok?

Looks like most of you Disleyites have probably covered everything round Hayfield many many times.

How would a loop round Calver/Froggat sound?
    Is meeting at 5:30 too early?

Premier Icon nbt

Awwww look at the ickle narrow xc racer handlebars… 😉

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

If there’s no traffic then I’d probably be able to get to the meeting point for 5:30….then another 10 minutes to get ready to ride. As you say though, forecast looks fairly gash for the next week!

6pm would be a more realistic start time for me though.

Edit. Only just had a notification of your PM sorry @thegeneralist!

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

Crazylegs – where is that trail?

Ooh, flashy old me. 😝 Don’t ask for the letters bit though. Can never find them.

Rather more descriptively: short section of BW that takes you from (the bottom of the grassy alternative descent from half way down the easy side of Jacob’s) to the very start of the cobbled BW up the side of Kinder Reservoir damn.

Premier Icon nbt

Campsite descent, just above the split?

Premier Icon nbt

Ah you edited to clarify. I know where you mean, not ridden that for some time

Premier Icon IHN

How would a loop round Calver/Froggat sound?
    Is meeting at 5:30 too early?

Sounds good, I can do Wednesday, like Tom-B said 6pm is probably a bit more realistic for me too though.

Could this be the first RUCKUS ride?

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

@scc999

Slightly OT but if the other localish folk fancy an after work or weekend ride then I’d be interested…

I’m trying to do a couple of mid-week rides, mostly from the front door, that works for me.
    Feel free to PM me.

@thegeneralist
    No worries. Will have to try again some point. I got around Lantern Pike yesterday, but I think I beat you by an hour or too. It was much more pleasant than Tuesday.

Premier Icon IHN

Just a reminder that the rule of 6 still applies

Is a very good point, wot I had forgotted.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Unfortunately I don’t think I can join you tomorrow but I’ll keep an eye here as “Happy to give you some practice in guiding people who can read a map but can’t ride for shit, if that’s any use 🙂” sounds very much my sort of thing if I’m able to make it.

Free Member

Righto. 11 am departure from Staveley Mill Yard Saturday .
    Garburn first
    , then wherever the notion takes us

Join us if you fancy it.

Free Member

Damn, that was good.
    Weirdly enough, the key lesson learned from Thursday: “make a plan, put it out there and stick to it so people know where they stand” actually made things a bit weird for yesterday. Couple of people dropped out at the last minute and it turned out that Garburn & Nan Bield was one of the few Lakes rides that Mark (sole attendee) had actually done.
    But that was pretty much it on the down sides. Just two of us meant that there was lots of riding done and minimal faffing. More importantly we could target the ride perfectly without having some people bored or some people too stretched*. We did the scenic route to Garburn which Mark hadn’t done before so that was a win. The Garburn up was brilliant as ever, and the down was superb as usual. I’d been a bit concerned about route choice before we met, but Mark’s response to “tell me about a difficult or challenging route you have done” was “4 passes, on my own, just before Christmas” gave me confidence that Garburn would be fine.
    As it turned out, I needn’t have worried. He shot off down at a tremendous pace and styled it all with zero effort.

Quick confab at Kentmere deemed that Nan Bield was a good option for part 2, but Gatesgarth is a bit pisch. Given that Harter Fell is a rocky, techy, scary horrorfest, it seemed the obvious option to give Mark a proper run out. As we chatted it transpired that he spent 2 months in Morzine honing his skills last summer, which explained a lot.

Quick hop over to Sadgill, rode past a set of pissed scousers wandering unsteadily up Gatesgarth drinking cans of Corona, then saw a load of wetsuits, helmets etc laid out by a landrover at the start of the canyon proper. The driver looked quite stressed, probably wondering if his clients were sober enough to jump into the correct part of the plunge pool or whether it was all about to go wrong.

Anyway, up Gatesgarth sucked a bit, but nothing that couldn’t be made better by the liberal application of Chicken Satay sandwiches, Irn Bru and Caramel wafers. Mark had his trail mix and then sat there politely waiting for me to finish my 3 courses.
    During lunch we got talking to some bloke [with a Scott bike], to whom I suggested that Gategarth North side wasn’t that much fun, but he was keen to do the proper route, so off he went.

Trail over Harter fell was fairly rideable then the bit down towards Nan Bield pass…

It was absolutely amazing. I’d done it years ago with the Boggies and thought it was rubbish, but with a decent bike I figured I would manage more of it and Mark would at least find it interesting. I wasn’t wrong, whilst I did a mix of riding, dabbing and walking, he just set off from the top and absolutely styled it.

I can do a semi reasonable track stand on tech trails, but the way he balanced the bike and then hopped sideways above some significant rocks to get position for the next section was amazing to see.

On the few sections that he didn’t do first time, or even if he did it first time but wanted to try a different line, he’d nip back up and send it again.

I was deeply impressed by his hairpin technique. I know the theory of getting up on the front wheel and spinning the back end round, but never seen it on such consequential terrain.

As usual, the pictures don’t really do it justice.

Nan Bield [south side] descent was as amazing as ever. My arms were knackered by this point so I only managed it in overlapping sections, but Mark did the whole lot no problem.
    Then the excellent flatter bits, nice dry grass/mossy sections and then the valley floor trail.

We met the chap on the Scott again, who confirmed that Gatesgarth had been “shit” 🙂

At Kentmere again we took a right and did a nice rising Bridleway traverse which lead easily back up the west side of Kentmere then took a pleasant easy track back down, with one diversion down an excellent loamy section at one point. Very strange trail to find in amongst all the rocky gnarr.

I think we did around 44km and around 1700m of ascent in all. Felt like a long day, even though we were moving quite steadily.

* (Apart from me on Harter)

Free Member

Seemed to be a few people up for a 6pm ride either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Anyone got strong preference for either of them? or just choose the one it’s snowing less…!

Also, happy to do something new (for me) around Calver area or is it better to be further west to make the commute easier?

Premier Icon slowpuncheur

Great write-up and pictures @thegeneralist. Don’t think we saw you but did see those scousers gyll scrambling up Gatesgarth. Respect to anyone fit enough to clear that climb. I quite enjoyed the northern side of Gatesgarth, yes it loses height quickly and it doesn’t flow as such but I still found it a challenge. Perversely, the climb/carry back up to Nan Bield was enjoyable…in a way🙃

Is the second picture Garburn?

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Knowing how flat anything steepish I’ve ridden looks in photos, I bet that’s bloody steep – great riding from your guidee! One day I’ll get up to The Lakes with a bike, I haven’t ridden there since maybe 1993…

Free Member

Is the second picture Garburn?

Yep. Same bit as this car is doing on the Garburn thread

How’s Garburn running these days?

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Lakes pics look amazing! I know the area well from hiking….would have to walk a lot of those descents 😳

This week is looking fairly hectic for me unfortunately….I could probably do Thursday though.

However, my number one rule is always…..I don’t ride in the rain. Forecast looks like an absolute shocker! Tomorrow is my only day off since last Monday until next sunday 😭

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

Making me blush @thegeneralist. Thanks for a great ride, hopefully get out again soon.

Free Member

hopefully get out again soon.

Yep. I’ll be in Duddon valley from 28 May to 4 June. I reckon we should do the big old Duddon circuit or something. Are you free on Sunday 30 May?

Have also WAp’d you about a peak ride once it dries out.

Free Member

Sounds good, I can do Wednesday, like Tom-B said 6pm is probably a bit more realistic for me too though.

@tom-b
    , @ihn, @samhay, @poltheball [ and indeed anyone else]
    Looks like some preference for Wednesday and some for Thursday. Thursday weather forecast looks a bit better.

My suggestion would be a 6pm Thursday start from the carpark above Curbar edge. I expect the route to be much easier than some of the main Peak District stuff (and nothing like that nonsense pictured above). 20km with the option of a nightine extension if anyone is keen.

If people prefer:
    * A later start ( with lights)
    * Wednesday instead of Thursday
    * Somewhere closer to “us” (ie further west)*
    * Something more gnarr

Then tell me.
    🙂

* I was keen to do Curbar area since I’ve not done that route before so it’ll be more of a navigational challenge. Similarly, I’m hoping that fewer of the Disley massive will already have done it. So it’ll be new for them and I won’t just be following locals up the hills.
    But either way, we have the whole summer ahead, so tell me…

Premier Icon IHN

Wotcha. Sam(hay) and I have a half-baked (well, quarter baked at best really) plan about doing something on Wednesday, I can’t do Thursday’s cos I’m at Scouts.

We were going to go local, but I’m happy to get out to Curbar for a change. I’m easy though.

FWIW, I have no lights, at least not any I could ride off road with.

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

I’m busy Thursday and my night vision is pants.
    Weather forecast has not been super accurate as of late, although it wasn’t bad today. Perhaps reassess on Wednesday as if it keeps raining like this until then, it will limit some options.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

It’s rained solidly in the Peak District all day today and the forecast for most of this week doesn’t look great either.

Free Member

@ihn @samhay anyone else
    We on for tomorrow?
    Weather’s rancid just now, but forecast to improve.
    6pm Wednesday in car park above Curbar edge, or prefer to wait for better conditions?

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m very much a fair weather rider so will wait for better conditions before committing…..I absolutely hate riding in crap weather/conditions so would rather spend my time climbing indoors! (As I’m doing right now!)

Hopefully next week will yield some better weather!

Premier Icon lewzz10

I’d be keen for some Peak District rides at some point – that Lakes route looked epic.

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

@thegeneralist once all the hail has melted, I think tomorrow should be ok.
    I’d prefer something on the western side of the hill, but appreciate you did that last week.

Premier Icon IHN

Yep, I’m on for tomorrow. I’m easy as to where (although I’m not sure where the Curbar car park is, but I’ll find it), I’ll let you and Sam decide/fight it out.

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

Weather’s looking good, so I don’t mind driving over the hill.
    Are we meeting in the Curbar Gap National Trust carpark?

Free Member

Perfect

6pm, Wednesday 5 May
    Curbar Gap car park. Grid ref SK267747.

Calver Circuit: 20km 620hm

Anyone else feel free to join us if you wish. , 🙂

See you later.

Premier Icon IHN

Er, do you mean 262747?

Smashing, I’ll be in a silver T5.

Er, do you mean 262747

And this is why they use W3W…

Premier Icon IHN

TBF, it’s only a 50m difference, and the carpark will be pretty **** obvious I’d imagine.

Free Member

Er, do you mean 262747?

Bollocks. Bloody guidebook. Knew I should have checked on the map.🥵

I’d go with 263747.

Smashing, I’ll be in a silver T5.

Natürlich. I will too 😝

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

To be contrary, the National Trust says it’s at: SK 2623 7470 (but that’s splitting hairs)
    In any case, unless you plan on parking in a field, I think we’ll all make it. Bring your National Trust card/sticker if you have one.

TBF, it’s only a 50m difference, and the carpark will be pretty **** obvious I’d imagine.

You’d think, but experience tells me that pay and display machines render carparks invisible to a significant number of people.

Premier Icon IHN

You’d think, but experience tells me that pay and display machines render carparks invisible to a significant number of people.

Bring your National Trust card/sticker if you have one.

Ooh, that’s a point, is it Pay and Display? I’ll have to find some change, I haven’t had any for, well, months…

Premier Icon samhay
    Free Member

Take evasive maneuvers (or a few coins).

Premier Icon tuboflard

That car park can get pretty full. If it is don’t be tempted to park like this;

Usually spaces on the road down here if it is;

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/53.2618226902072,-1.5830069105782627,12/pin

Only a few mins road spin up to the car park.

I’d have liked to join you as only 15 min ride from the start out my front door but doubt I can be off work in time. But if you see someone on a Ragley Big Wig puffing up the road at the last minute that’ll be me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.