Wanted – Parts for a MTB tandem

Home Forum Classifieds – Wanted Wanted – Parts for a MTB tandem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wanted – Parts for a MTB tandem
  • Just finished building this frame –
    – and now we need some kit to build it up with.

Forks: Ideally Rock Shox coil U-turn Lyriks, although any other 160mm coil fork with a 20mm axle and a 1 1/8th steerer at least 200mm long would be suitable. Cosmetics aren’t too much of a worry, but obviously deep stanchion scratches aren’t great. No more than £250.
    Tyres: Knobbly! Maxxis High Rollers or suchlike – they need to be a decent width, pretty sturdy and not too worn.
    Hubs: Again, strength matters. 32h Pro II’s or Chris Kings would be ideal. 20mm at the front and convertible to Maxle on the back.
    Rear mech and shifters: Ideally 3×9 (definitely 3x n). Don’t mind whether they’re Shimano or Sram. These don’t need to be expensive.
    Stem: Around 70mm ideal, 1 1/8th by O/S.
    Bars: O/S, about 700mm wide (can be wider).
    Seat post: Already got a short 27.2 Thompson for the front so a longer layback one for the back would be great.

Contact me on here or Email tomssimpsonsardineATmacDOTcom (remove the fish…)

Thanks for looking!

Premier Icon jd77

Ive got a Blue Groove 2.5 Stick E if your interested, £15 posted

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

That looks fantastic.
    You might find that an air fork works better on it though. We went through loads of different forks on our tandem and the only one we could get to work well was a Lyric solo air. All the coil forks we tried were far too soft even with the firmest spring fitted.

jd77 – I’m not sure about the tyre yet because I’ve been offered a whole group of stuff on Pinkbike for it. I’ll be in touch if we still need it. Cheers

Thanks for the advice Stu. I think we were worried that air might not hold up as well as coil. We’ve got a big coil DHX for the back and have also used coil vanillas on a previous tandem, but I’ll keep it in mind.

I think I’m sorted on everything but tyres and hubs now. Cheers.

I’ve got a pair of IRC El Gato tyres, marked up as 26×2.25 but they’re more like 2.4 at least, we ran them on our tandem for a short while but they were too much for the towpath pootling we used it for. Kevlar folders with very little wear, yours for £35 posted?

EDIT – they’ve got nice reddish brown side walls too which would look ace on that frame.

Jon – sorry for the late reply – I think we’ve decided to wait until the rest is done before we get the tyres. Thanks anyway though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wanted – Parts for a MTB tandem’ is closed to new replies.