WANTED – INEXPENSIVE HARDTAIL OR RIGID FOR NEW RIDER

Home Forum Classifieds – For Sale WANTED – INEXPENSIVE HARDTAIL OR RIGID FOR NEW RIDER

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • WANTED – INEXPENSIVE HARDTAIL OR RIGID FOR NEW RIDER
  • lochlassie

Callander, Stirling area, can pay up to £100. Female rider, 5'4 ish

I'm trying to introduce a friend to the joys of cycling so she needs a decent, lightweight bike to get her started. Will mostly be riding on roads so hardtail, fully rigid or tourer all fine – just needs to be lightweight, in good condition and with decent spec. Anyone got anything like that tucked away in their shed?

Hairychested

We might have a frame + forks, drop me a line (email on profile).

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Double the money, but, Carrera subways look ace for £200.

lochlassie

Thanks, but as she's a beginner she needs a complete second-hand bike that she can just get on and ride away.

Andyholmes

hi got a marin muirwoods in good condition looking for £100 posted via parecl force. frame is 17" slick tyres,24 speed gears. Can send pics if interested.

lochlassie

Hi Andy,
    Sounds good – yes could you send pics. I'm not sure of marin sizing – would 17" fit a small 5'5 woman? How old is it btw? Thanks

Andyholmes

Bike is a 2006 model purchased early 2007. With the seat at lowest setting my daughter (5'3") can sit on saddle with feet flat on floor.

Rear hub is deore, as well as mech. Also have driveside crank arm with less rubbing.

Cheers Andy

lochlassie

Cheers Andy, looks in good nick tho see from rusty chain it's not been ridden in a while! Is it ready to ride ie gears shift smoothly and cables all OK? Also, how heavy is it please. Where do you live – so she can try it first?

Andyholmes

Yep gears shift fine all cables ok, chain could do with a clean and lube as you noticed, other than that ready to ride. Bike is in Cambridge Cambs, might be a bit too far to come and try. Unsure of weight but feels very light, maybe 22-25lbs.

Cheers Andy

lochlassie

Sounds good – I'll show my friend and see what she thinks. Yep, bit far to come down from Scotland! What's it like to ride and how forgiving is frame/forks as lanes round here are rather bumpy?!

Andyholmes

Been used mainly for commuting and i found it excellent for the job.Roads in Cambridge are rubbish to say the least. Replaced with newer hybrid with alloy frame rather than steel and tbh i prefer the ride of the muirwoods. Bike also has some good reviews online.

If she likes it and wants to go ahead is paypal ok?

Cheers

lochlassie

Yes, just checked out some reviews. I have a Bear Valley myself (that we found in a skip, perfect condition just minus a back wheel) and it's a great bike, just rode 300 miles round the Hebrides on it in august. Will ask friend if she has Paypal, I suspect maybe not – will cheque do? I'm wondering if the top tube reach might be a bit long for her – for the money do you have a shorter stem you could throw in the box as I see from spec it has a 100mm one? How comfy is the saddle too? Cheers Shim

Andyholmes

Hi yep can throw in shorter stem. Saddle is great. I have wtb on all my bikes, full suss, hardtail and commuter. If no paypal can she do electronic transfer, quicker than waiting for cheque to clear, if not cheque is fine.

Cheer Andy

lochlassie

Thanks Andy, that's grand. I'll show her the bike tomorrow and get back to you in the evening probably.

lochlassie

Hi Andy, she'd like a couple of days to have a test ride on my bike and think about it, if that's OK, as she didn't expect things to happen so quickly and was originally thinking of spending alot less. I've told her that she's better off paying a bit more for a decent bike that she'll actually want to ride, and the Muirwoods does sound like a great bike. My only concern is the sizing – presumably you're bigger than 5'5 and chose a size to fit you? On the Marin site it lists standover for that model/size as 30" which is on the limit for her…

Andyholmes

Yep no worries, have it advertised elsewhere so if someone else shows interest i'm afraid it might sell. I am 5' 6" if it helps.

Cheers Andy

lochlassie

OK Andy, the size should be about right then. Cheers

lochlassie

Hi again, when I told her it's advertised elsewhere she said she's tempted to just buy it but wants to have a little go on my bike tomorrow just to make sure she's happy with that style of bike (she's not ridden since she was a kid). I reckon she will go for it though. Rather than haggling over the price, do you have any spare goodies you could throw in – like mudguards (and maybe a bottle cage)? 😉 Thanks, Shim

Andyholmes

Can throw in a backrack and a bottle cage. Don't use mudguards i'm afraid.

Cheers Andy

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Just to be cheeky if lochlassie's friend doesn't want it i'll take it for the asking price posted to dumfries & galloway.

lochlassie

Cheers Andy, that'd be grand. I'm meeting friend this lunchtime so will get back to you asap.

lochlassie

Yep – we're on! She's going to town tomorrow so can pay the money into your account at a bank. Just to confirm, will it be in a ready-to-ride state as she's not got the first clue about bikes! And can I be cheeky and ask you to fit the rack for her please? Does the seatpost have a QR clamp (can't really see in pics)
    Thanks, Shim

Andyholmes

Bike will just need front wheel refitting, otherwise ready to go.No worries i will fit the rack and bottle cage. Seatclamp is bolt type.

My email is: andrewholmes@rocketmail.com

Don't want to send my bank details via the forum.

Cheers Andy

lochlassie

Have emailed you with address andy, cheers

Andyholmes

No payment recieved as yet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘WANTED – INEXPENSIVE HARDTAIL OR RIGID FOR NEW RIDER’ is closed to new replies.