Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • Want to truly have empathy for animals? Stop owning pets
  • myti
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/04/want-to-truly-have-empathy-for-animals-stop-owning-pets

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Whilst I agree with many of the points raised in article, the author’s outlook seems overly negative and rather throwing the baby out with the bath water. I mean I wonder if the author would take the same extreme viewpoint on having children, as there is so much individual suffering and environmental damage caused by that. </span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I think close contact with pet animals generally increases people’s empathy for animals. I don’t think humans before pet ownership saw animals as anything other than prey or a threat and they would have been killed without hesitation. Would our ancient ancestors have been dedicating time and energy to saving an injured or orphaned animal?</span>

Like everything in this complicated, messed up world pet ownership needs huge improvements but is stopping it altogether the answer?

rickmeister

Or just get a cat. Cats don’t have owners, they have staff.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

There’s always one or two at the loony end of the spectrum, in both directions.

Myself, I could have a dog or a cat… or many many rats and mice.

I choose dog.

Also, I question a goldfish’s ability to be bored.

weeksy

I don’t have pets…. or empathy…. I’m mostly devoid of feelings 🙂

rickmeister

I’m mostly devoid of felines

FIFY

pondo

Came real close to adopting a rescue greyhound over Christmas – I love dogs and WFH makes having one much more sensible, Mrs Pondo couldn’t quite get on board and it has to be a two-player game, it does compromise what you can do. I’m prepared to, she isn’t (quite), so no dog just yet. 🙁

kayak23

Go on then.

crossed

Well that article’s a bit late.

We went and looked at a Cocker Spaniel puppy last night and he’ll be home with us in a few weeks time!

imnotverygood

It’s sad that the Guardian resorts to click bait

maccruiskeen

I don’t think humans before pet ownership saw animals as anything other than prey or a threat

Collaboration with animals is exactly what defines us as a species and how we evolved the way we did  – we don’t need incredible hearing or senses of smell or fangs or claws- we can extend our senses with dogs, extend our speed and  range with horses, navigate oceans with ravens….and  ummmm open tins for cats.

db

What a load of rubbish click bait.

Next weeks story will be if we really want to save the planet we should all just kill ourselves and be done with it. Mother earth will get along fine without humans.

ads678

Oops, just got this Labradoodle pup a few weeks ago! WFH does make it easier, but with my kids being 12 and 14 I’ve forgotten what sleepless nights were like…..and cleaning up piss and shit….Shes great though!

Blackflag
    Free Member

We have rescue hens. Ive just popped out to ask them their thoughts on this. Apparently they prefer being pets than mcnuggets.

joshvegas
    Free Member

A miserable rescued dog earlier…

maccruiskeen

but with my kids being 12 and 14 I’ve forgotten what sleepless nights were like…..and cleaning up piss and shit…

Dont worry – it won’t be long before they start drinking

fossy

Member of ‘staff’ here to 4 cats. Bloody door man in the evening !  Our cat’s are house cats (3 pedigrees and a rescue with cat flu), so have a run in the garden (quite extensive). With it being cold, we shut the door to the conservatory, so they access the run via the conservatory window. One in particular is in and out all evening. Let him out, 10 minutes later he’s in banging on the window to come in. Let him in. Two minutes later, he’s either banging on the window, ripping at the carpet, or standing on you meowing  to go out. This goes on all evening, then you add in the other three who are slightly less frequent.

TomB

I’m mostly devoid of felines

Deserves more recognition- bravo sir, and very quick too!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pets are great for teaching kids responsibility for others apparently, although in my experience once the novelty has worn off, it is the parents who have to walk the moving shit factory every day. After that, pets seem mostly there for the amusement and vanity of the owners. If you are happy to treat another sentient being as a toy then fine, fill your boots and I am sure the animals are either grateful or too dumb to know the difference.

I don’t have kids or pets.

Cougar

What a load of rubbish click bait.

This.  I expected better of the Guardian.  Even if there’s a valid point to be had here, it’s expressed exceptionally poorly with loads of non-sequiturs and whataboutery.

Eg, “It is hard to fathom the boredom of pet fish” – well, yes, it is, but this is begging the question.  Are fish bored?  Do they bob about in fishtanks longing for a game of Canasta?  Are they pining for you to get home and put the telly on because Arsenal are playing Man U at 7?  Whilst we’re here, have we researched the excitement levels of our lawn?

Eg2, “dogs are often hit by cars.”  The number one cause of testicular cancer is “having testicles,” what does the author propose as a solution here?

I could go on but it’s too early on a Wednesday with too little coffee for me to give it further credence.

ads678

Dont worry – it won’t be long before they start drinking

🤣

Cougar

Our cat’s are house cats… so have a run in the garden (quite extensive).

Would you mind sharing a photo of that please?

With it being cold, we shut the door to the conservatory, so they access the run via the conservatory window. One in particular is in and out all evening. Let him out, 10 minutes later he’s in banging on the window to come in. Let him in. Two minutes later, he’s either banging on the window, ripping at the carpet, or standing on you meowing to go out. This goes on all evening, then you add in the other three who are slightly less frequent.

Cats don’t want to be out or in particularly, they just don’t like closed doors. Fit a cat flap?

lunge

Came real close to adopting a rescue greyhound over Christmas

Do it, wonderful dogs. Lazy and occasionally aloof, but still amazing.

manton69

If you read the article on an non individual scale then it makes sense.  It is not saying you have a pet therefore you are a bad person, but there is more going on here that deserves looking at.  My take on it is that it has gone away from being domesticated by dogs, or the other way around we aren’t quite sure, to the benefit of both to most of the benefit being for the human.  There are plenty of exceptions, but there any many times that people get a pet to help with something missing in their lives that potentially used to be filled with people.

As a highly social species when we stop living in social groups and become isolated then pets have often filled the gap.  If the level of pet ownership has increased so much then it is good to ask the question about how we are functioning and why people get pets.

As usual people have taken the article personally rather than looking at the population level question being raised and critically analysing their own situation in light of the different perspective.

For full disclosure I keep chickens, that mostly feed themselves and I provide some shelter (when they deign to use it). The local fox takes a few occasionally and I get a few eggs.  I also used to have rabbits when my oldest had mental health issues, but as they got better we both felt they were not getting the life and attention we wanted for them, so they now have a large garden to roam in and two more children looking out for them.

RustyNissanPrairie

Bored shitless rescue dog

Is that a mythical Brocken Spectre that I can see from the top of this mountain? Oh well….I’m still bored.

Bunnyhop

I haven’t read the article but, too many pets are overfed, under exercised, therefore overweight, this is not kindness, it’s treating the pet as a fur baby.

If people really want a pet they should go to a rescue centre. These centres are overrun with unwanted guinea pigs, domestic rabbits, dogs, cats and many other animals.

binners

Or just get a cat. Cats don’t have owners, they have staff.

Indeed. God knows what our cats would do if i wasn’t there to provide them with the 24 hour running buffet they’ve come to expect

Let him out, 10 minutes later he’s in banging on the window to come in. Let him in. Two minutes later, he’s either banging on the window, ripping at the carpet, or standing on you meowing  to go out.

Working from home, this is my entire day. I’ve just had to get up and let one of the little sods in now. He only went out 5 minutes ago

If people really want a pet they should go to a rescue centre. These centres are overrun with unwanted guinea pigs, domestic rabbits, dogs, cats and many other animals.

Ours are rescue cats. One (Nelson) was found abandoned and feral. He’s as soft as anything

fossy

@cougar, I’ll see what photo’s I can find on the phone. Cat flap won’t work well in two full height patio doors ! It’s fine when it’s warmer as the door is left slightly open.

Dickyboy

Once I find out just who’s cat is shitting in our garden I’ll happily watch them picking up the poo instead of me, until then I will remain full of hatred and rage for the pet owners of the world.

fossy

@cougar,

This section links up to the conservatory side window – this was the original section. It’s about 3m long and 1.2m deep

run2

fossy

Then this extension runs under the arbor, and a tunnel along the back of the garden, with the additional ‘chicken’ coup over the fence (spare land ahem)

Run1

The tunnel needs replacing this year as the timber floor is starting to warp.

Cougar

Oh, that’s brill!  Thanks.

I ask because I have indoor cats, I’ve idly tossed about the idea of ‘controlled outdoors’ for a while now.

Once I find out just who’s cat is shitting in our garden I’ll happily watch them picking up the poo instead of me, until then I will remain full of hatred and rage for the pet owners of the world.

Get a dog? I recommend a sighthound. They love cats!

Since rescuing ours, cat shit in the garden has ceased. And a few of the slower cats have lost a little bit of fur.

kelron
    Free Member

The article makes good points but takes them to strange places. The solution to mistreatment of domestic animals is to gradually eliminate them as a species?

I think the argument against owning birds or caged rodents is stronger, since they clearly don’t want to be caged and need constant attention to not get bored. Cats and dogs have cohabited with humans for a long time though.

Cougar

If you read the article on an non individual scale then it makes sense.

I’m unconvinced.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Even if the author’s point it did make sense, it’s terribly presented.  “Thinking about getting a goldfish?  But what about all the wolves, you monster!”  It is, frankly, a weird article.</span>

Cat flap won’t work well in two full height patio doors !

You can get flaps to fit glass doors (or your window).

thols2

Cougar

Cats don’t want to be out or in particularly, they just don’t like closed doors.

You sound like you might be projecting here.

Cougar

I knew there had to be a reason I carried lockpicks.

tazzymtb

@ Cougar

we also have a “Catio” with tree branches and trunks, multi level sleeping pods, loads of plants etc.. for our 3 indoor (rescue) cats and then walk the wee fuzzy blighters in harnesses daily

fossy

Our ‘catio’ is a little more overgrown at the back now – got a few climbing honeysuckle on it that  have to go over and ‘control’.  We got the chicken coup via amazon – worked out cheaper than the timber needed to construct it, but the platforms inside did add up in cost terms. The cat’s love it and will use the bark at the bottom for toilet duties, hence reducing the litter we need. The original section was over an existing border, with plants in it already. The wire is bird cage netting, and ordering on-line is much cheaper than DIY places.

Cougar

@ Cougar

we also have a “Catio” with tree branches and trunks, multi level sleeping pods, loads of plants etc.. for our 3 indoor (rescue) cats and then walk the wee fuzzy blighters in harnesses daily

I experimented with harnesses.  It ended… predictably.  I might try again now they’re a little older.

csb

Intruiged as to why people (who have gardens and doors outside) have house cats.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.