Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Want to buy a wheel jig.
  • tthew

Or more correctly, considering one as a present. But which one? I’m not planning on doing it professionally, and haven’t got a workshop for permanent installation.

Park TS7M looks good, better than the TS8, but I’m not a fanboi, so owt else I should look at? Thanks.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Roger musson MDF home built

tthew

Thanks Barry, but I can’t see my mother in law breaking out the Jigsaw to knock one of those up for me.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, bought S/H for £40. They’re about £80 new.
    Feedback sports truing stand
    Very effective.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Feedback sports one poor , only does qr and really needs a dishing jig

The park you like really needs a heavy wooden base made for it

Mines a cheapo tacx one – ive used alsorts ( used to build many wheels a week – some would say professionally)

A good jig makes it easier but the only thing id swap my tacx for is the 300 quid park one. Anything else just dosnt give any added benifits

kd48

I got a Park TS8 recently and it works just fine for truing, dishing and tensioning. Nice and heavy, so it doesn’t need fixed to anything. It was on offer at Merlin for 70 quid, but they seem to be out of stock just now. I’d recommend it.

takisawa2

We’re due to have a clearout at work…& I’ve spotted a load of that modular alloy section that’s going to be chucked.
    Need to get modelling on the CAD.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what wheel jig you START with. Eventually you’ll end up with a Park Tool TS 2.2, a full set of Park Tool spoke keys and a Park Tool WAG5 dishing tool
    Oh
    And Park Tool have just released a nipple driver too. You’ll need one of those.

Or you could just cut out the interim expense and get the Park Tool kit from the off. Up to you. 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

dont bother wasting your money on the park crap

http://www.pklie.de/

barrykellett
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the present bit
    Still think she should – Personal touch to the present and all!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whos nipple driver have park painted blue this time then ? And park spoke keys are crap, amateur job at best.

Their TS jig is the best though

tthew

Fair play Barry. I’ll pop some blades round for her tomorrow. 😆

woolymonster
    Free Member

What PeterPoddy said…True words them 🙂

eshershore
    Free Member

this is what we use (professionally) in the last 7 bike workshop I’ve operated

this wheel jig

this spoke key

this tension meter

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got the tension meter too… :mrgreen:

And park spoke keys are crap, amateur job at best.

Err no. They survive workshop use just fine. The Spokey (Yellow one above) type ones have a very small interface with the spoke and can a) deform or move in the plastic or b) round nipples off easier. I used to use them until I switched to Park. Which of course have a lifetime warranty.

dont bother wasting your money on the park crap

http://www.pklie.de/

Well that is indeed lovely, but it’s overkill. Not necessary. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah the one above is also crap

The spokey pro is the one you want.

Ergonomics is key. Building the odd wheel now and then the parks are ok. Build many a day and the park will drive you up the wall.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use this stand:

Not sure it’s available any more…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ben, no, you can’t get those any more. I’ve used that one with the dial gauges on it. And it’s pretty much faultless, yes.

bencooper
    Free Member

Park keys are okay, but only really if I’ve lost my P&K, Sturmey Archer and DT keys. The only Park one I really use is the one for 13g spokes, and then I need to be careful not to round the nipples. Spokeys drive me mad – the metal insert pulls out or rotates.

Peter – yes, I’ve got gauges on mine, it can adjust from Brompton wheel to Fatbike wheel in seconds, fantastic engineering…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Build many a day and the park will drive you up the wall.

Serious question, why’s that? I’ve never built more than a pair in a sitting and I just find the Park ones more solid and easier to locate on the spoke.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That Var one doesn’t look like it adjusts both ‘dropouts’ as you tighten it down, so it can’t be used for dishing a wheel I imagine…….

bencooper
    Free Member

Problem with the Park is it only grips two sides of a relatively soft and deformable nipple. So to help prevent rounding, the “correct” size is a tight push fit, which is a pain. Can go a slightly loose size, but then run the risk of rounding.

Sturmey Archer made the best spoke keys ever, but no longer available. The P&KLie ones are the best available at the moment.

Macavity
    Free Member

Get one of these

Ben
    Are you still building wheels by hand?

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve seen those machines working at trade shows – great fun to watch 😉 Not really suitable unless you’re making hundreds of identical wheels, which isn’t really me.

I’m seriously thinking of making a spoke-making machine though…

bencooper
    Free Member

I was thinking more a Morizumi copy – those machines are bigger than my whole workshop 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Some years ago after I’d taught my boss to build wheels he was all up for getting a ts1
    But only to find they were discontinued.

But can’t fault the ts2 just a little over the top for home use lol
    Just don’t get a single sided one

TrevorB

I use the Park TS3 as pictured above by Ben with Dial gauges. Excellent tool.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m told the one outlined in this book is faultless.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

hatter

Hi Ben

Park do 4-sided spoke keys as well now, check out the SW-20 and SW-22 master spoke wrenchs, rather lovely they are.

They also do the loop style ones (SW-40 & SW-42) in 4-sided, but I can’t see a connoisseur such as your self opting for those.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, interesting – might get a few to try out.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

4 sided are the way to go, ive been using one of these since my training course many years ago Webbline

tthew

Well this has moved on a little since I last checked! Suspect most of the above will be somewhat overkill for my needs, but I’m glad to see my exisiting P&KLie spoke key meets approval.

Have my first ‘commission’. Neices 20″ wheel spokes are all snapped, not worth the price of a new set of wheels but spokes should be cheap enough. Low risk way to practice as well, (well low risk for me anyway. 😀 )

rob1984p
    Free Member

I built, trued and dished loads of wheels using a TS2 while working in the trade and never had a problem and our main wheel builder who built between 1500 and 2000 wheels a year was also a fan.

I have an old DT spoke key that really engages nicely, it’s superb on even the most stubborn nipples.

I no longer have a stand so just lace them up then true and dish them in the frame, £200 is far too much to spend for occasional use.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Want to buy a wheel jig.’ is closed to new replies.