• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Want to buy a banana and a bit of duct tape?
  • benv
    Free Member

Now, I’ll never understand art, but ok fair enough a banana taped to a wall with bit of duct tape might make some sort of sense to someone.

But why in the hell would someone pay £91k for this? Apparently it is a run of 3 and one of the other ones sold for similar amount. It’s just a plain ordinary banana FFS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50704136

If there is this much money floating about in the art world then maybe it’s time to stop public funding.

plus-one

That’s cheap for modern art !

qwerty
    Free Member

#enduro

dirkpitt74

Apparently it took him a year to think that up…….

Time to break out the Satsuma and nail gun I think 😁

Stiggy

Good work qwerty!

Greybeard
    Free Member

Apparently it’s the concept that the art; if you buy it, you have to keep replacing the banana as each one becomes over ripe. So you also have to keep replacing the tape, as it won’t last being removed and replaced every week. After a month or so, you’ll have exactly what you’d have had if you’d just made a copy – but it will be a genuine original. What?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Now, I’ll never understand art

Poster admits to not understanding it, yet posts about it.

What I take from your post is someone is willing to pay someone else £91k for something… and you find that aspect of it irritates you…

People spend money every day.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

you have to keep replacing the banana as

it gets eaten as an act of “performance art”

Rubber_Buccaneer

This thread is nothing like as kinky as I was hoping🙁

BruceWee

sirromj

They also say things every day yet still fail to say anything at all.

oldnpastit

This is what happens when governments pump lots of free money into the world economy.

To be honest, it’s pretty nauseating.

sirromj

After a month or so, you’ll have exactly what you’d have had if you’d just made a copy – but it will be a genuine original. What?

It’s like a magnificent cathedral over the millennia but condensed into a banana. So a bargain really.

singletrackmind

Is it one of Triggers Banananas?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

What I take from your post is someone is willing to pay someone else £91k for something… and you find that aspect of it irritates you…

Probably more disbelief than irritation 😉

They do but you could buy the same thing for a couple of quid tops in the local supermarket. Anybody spending that much on a banana and some tape is a moron, just think of all the good things you could do with that much money!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They do but you could buy the same thing for a couple of quid tops in the local supermarket. Anybody spending that much on a banana and some tape is a moron, just think of all the good things you could do with that much money!

I imagine this is the sort of thing you buy after the sports cars, yachs, coke and hookers, mansions, 3rd wife, trek up Everest, flight on virgin galactic, donated to a political campaign and developed an allergy to gluten.

I doubt the owner has lead what we would think of as a mundane existance!

funkmasterp

Well that’s just utterly bananas

Dickyboy

I suspect the artist was hoping this one wouldn’t be worth nicking and melting down 🤔

dogbone

Maybe the piece is about how the world reacts (which from a banana and a bit of duct tape is quite impressive).

I’ll eat my hat if someone has actually paid £91k for it.

Dogbone.

BA (Hons) Fine Art (Sculpture)

taxi25
    Free Member

An explanation, sort of about the piece.

cookeaa

Police were later deployed to guard the replacement banana.

Imagine being the officers that pulled banana guard duty, they must feel so valued, proper front-line stuff…

The thing is I’m sure I could proclaim myself an “artist” and dream up something similarly pretentious/absurd, but would anyone pay me £90K for it? Just how does one get these gigs?

philjunior
    Free Member

I could buy a canvas and some paint for not that much.

This doesn’t have much to do with what it would be worth if combined in the right way. And it would still need looking after, and restoring over the years.

So… I still think this is bollocks sold to millionaires+, but as long as it’s not my money…

dogbone

Also see;

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/andre-equivalent-viii-t01534

From 1966..

For some art is about giving society a bit of a poke and standing back and enjoying the reaction.

sirromj

For some art is about giving society a bit of a poke and standing back and enjoying the reaction.

You need to at least shit in a tin for that.

nickc

see also…

Image result for duchamp fountain 1917

And…

Image result for artist tin of shit

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Want to buy a banana and a bit of duct tape?’ is closed to new replies.