Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Want a longer Fork – change mine or buy new?
  • -Liam-
    Free Member

I have a recon 327 solo air fork on my frame set at 100mm currently. I'm looking to buy a different frame which will take a longer fork. The Recon is a good but pretty basic fork. Alloy stantions and steerer but no other adjustment other than rebound at the bottom of the one leg.

Now I know you can adjust the travel on these fairly simply by removing a spacer to extend the travel to 130mm which would be ample. But. I've also read that you can't do that on oem versions, and I have no idea if my fork is oem. Anyway of finding out? I can tell you that there is a sticker on the back of the fork that lists air pressures for the fork at both 100mm and 130mm.

2nd thing I might consider is buying a replacement fork. I'm not rolling in cash and can afford to sell the Recon and add a few quid so I am looking at around £130 max to spend, 2nd hand or brand new and I was looking at something like this…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/RockShox_Tora_302_Coil_U-Turn_Suspension_Forks/5360027248/?referid=frogoog&source=googleps#more

It has uturn, lock out etc etc. Its heavier than the recon and has a coil spring but is it a better or worse fork? and am i better off getting one rather than adjusting the basic recon?

Any other ideas ? 🙂

Thanks.

Liam.

ntreid
    Free Member

Any details on the new frame?

Is one option to spend more on an upgraded fork and hold off on the new frame for a bit?

Doug
    Free Member

Tora would be a step backward IMO.

-Liam-
    Free Member

Any details on the new frame?

Is one option to spend more on an upgraded fork and hold off on the new frame for a bit?

The frame is one of the nice cheap mmmbops on crc 😀

I'm just waiting for a nice man to pop me some cash in my paypal for my charge duster frame so I can go and buy one.

I guess I just don't want to miss out on what is a good deal and my duster frame is a little small for me.

I could just run 100mm forks on it but I'm not sure how it would ride.

-Liam-
    Free Member

Tora would be a step backward IMO.

Just a weight issue or is the coil spring not as good as the air spring?

Certainly better equipped than the recon.

ntreid
    Free Member

Check the specs on the Mmmbop. 1.5" headtube.

130 Recons will suit it fine, if you adjust them out.

You'll need a reducer set though to get them to fit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do yo need any other adjustment? I don't use the lockout on any of my forks – I am a smooth sit and spin climber so have no need for it. Do you get issues with Bob under pedalling at the moment?

Altering the travel is easy. I would do that first if I were you

-Liam-
    Free Member

Check the specs on the Mmmbop. 1.5" headtube.

130 Recons will suit it fine, if you adjust them out.

You'll need a reducer set though to get them to fit.

I've already "borrowed" an fsa reducer headset off a mate lol 😀

You reckon they should adjust oem or not ? Or just suck and see..

Thanks 🙂

-Liam-
    Free Member

Do yo need any other adjustment? I don't use the lockout on any of my forks – I am a smooth sit and spin climber so have no need for it. Do you get issues with Bob under pedalling at the moment?

Altering the travel is easy. I would do that first if I were you

I'm the same as you. Never needed any adjustment. I max the air out because I'm 15 stone and thats about it.

I'll get some oil and remove the spacer then 🙂

Thanks.

ntreid
    Free Member

I can't give you a definitive answer on whether they'll adjust (although there must be someone on here who can).

Personally, I'd check Rockshox website for a destruction manual, and YouTube. Just in case someone's done it.

Then I'd just take the forks apart and use my loaf.

-Liam-
    Free Member

Downloaded it earlier. Seems fairly easy. Just replace any oil that comes out lol.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Want a longer Fork – change mine or buy new?’ is closed to new replies.