Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Walsden/Todmorden area?
  • dazh

What’s it like? Thinking of moving there from Manc. Obviously the biking’s better than sunny Levenshulme, but I doubt that will convince Mrs Daz. What are the schools like? Any problems with teenage scallies? Crime? Anything else I should know about?

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Your kids will never fit in. They’ll only be able to count up to ten on their fingers while all their new schoolfriends will be able to count upto twelve! 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

they have seagulls the size of horses up there, “ere be monsters” is painted over all the road signs.

phil.w
    Free Member
    meehaja
    Free Member

pretty, seems like a nice place. couple of good places to eat. Hard drugs. Bit like any small town but a bit more secluded from the civilised world. Singletrack live there and i bet they make good coffee. Houses can be on the small side as well (depending on budget!)

MrNutt
    Free Member

vegetables in graveyards? sounds like a girl I knew at school.

dazh

Hard drugs? As long as they’re of good quality I don’t much mind. Secluded from the ‘civilized world’? Sounds perfect!

yoda
    Free Member

It floods! River Calder has a habit of bursting its narrow high walled banks every time someone flushes their toilet.
    Has some great riding if you don’t mind steep hills to get to it.
    It does have a bit of a “Last of the Summer Wine” vibe about the place.Don’t be surprised to see groups of men trundling down steep roads in bath tubs.

RockyRobin
    Free Member

Oddies Sandwich shop….mmmmmm

marc
    Free Member

Banjo practice is compulsory.

stumpyjon

Excellent riding from the doorstep, still close to Manchester, cheaper houses. Don’t forget Eastern Rossendale to, you don’t have to live in the centre of Bacup, some of the bits up the hills aren’t bad (too much effort for the scallies to leave the valley bottom).

Schools, bike like anywhere really, some good, some bad. The whole areas quite mixed to be honest, lot of terraced house but there’s also a lot of bigger properties as well. Personally I really like it here, way better than middle of a city but you’ve still got all that within easy distance. Just don’t ever expect to be considered a local, your grand fathers grand father needs to have been born here for you to be a true local.

rangerbill

Tod high school isn’t the best in the area, used to have a bad rep for bullying, but that was a about several years ago.

They filmed parts of the last series of League of Gentlemen there…..do I need to say any more?

elaineanne
    Free Member

walsden is a very bad flood area… But Tod and walsden is fantastic as you have the fells right on your doorstep (id say move here…the riding is the best ever ! you wont be disapointed… Manchester is too flat for you !
    Banjo practice ? lol…. beware of the wolves too(stay on the bridleways ) lol, and the ufo’s -(we have many ufo’s flying around this neck o’t woods..and many people disapearing…lol (then appearing and unsure where they have been…
    singletrack magazine is written right here in sunny Todmorden..
    prince charles has visited and now wears a badge saying ‘i luv Tod’ !
    u can also hear guitars and drums up and down the valley so you may need earplugs… and finally…the rats are now the size of small babies !
    he hee..apart from that : fantastic scenery and you wont be diapointed by cycling up to the pike then straight down the front ! sometimes you may need an airlift out by the local helichopper if you come a cropper on your mtb….. c you around…. i know these hills like the back of my hand..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Walsden/Todmorden area?’ is closed to new replies.