Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Walna Scar – still worth doing?
  • BoomBip
    Free Member

Up in the Lakes at the end of June, staying in Seathwaite for a couple of days. The plan for one day was to do Walna Scar but I’ve seen quite some pretty negative threads & photos from last year after it was sanitised.

So, is it still worth doing or too much of a flat motorway? Any suggestions for other stuff in the area?

tomaso
    Free Member

Towpath

GaVgAs
    Free Member

A very large military aircraft could land on it now,crap really.. 🙁

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6H49Feb4Hc video here, a month or two after the runway was built.. 😉

Cammer
    Free Member

Couple of bridleways worth doing very close to Seathwaite.

Head up Walna Scar, but turn right at the quarry approx. half way up. Can be boggy up top, but good rocky descent to Stephenson ground. Keep right of the river, don’t cross the bridge.

Follow bridleways around to Jackson ground, Carter ground, back down to Seathwaite that comes out right at the Newfield Inn 🙂

Extend route as required as that’s pretty short but a good starter

BoomBip
    Free Member

Thought as much but I was also hoping that lots of foul weather might have ruined it nicely – oh well.

Any other routes recommended near Seathwaite? Plenty of options elsewhere in the Lakes but quite liked the idea of riding from the front door 😀

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres two Bridleways running from the Walna Scar road towards Conston lake, both are good descents offering more of a challenge.. 😉

BoomBip
    Free Member

Cheers, guys – that’s the kind of inspiration I’m after 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s not as bad as it was – the top is still as good as it ever was.

Top tip when you get to the car park at the bottom follow along the wall to your right and take the BW down to Spoon Hall – better than you think it’s going to be

Elsewhere the BW from broughton mills over stickle pike has one of the best downhills in the area – you’ve got to suffer for it mind but i reckon its worth it. Don’t touch harter fell it’s proper crap but riding up from Birks Bridge through the forest to come down from kepple crag or grass guards is OK

Just an idea – do it from coniston as part of a big day out taking in Jackson ground, broughton moor forest etc – fast, steep and gets techier the further down you go

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Walna Scar – still worth doing?’ is closed to new replies.