Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Walna Scar Road by gravel bike
  • bob_summers

Not wanting to hijack the other gravel thread.  I’m thinking about which bike to take to the UK in summer.  I’d like to ride Walna Scar but don’t have an MTB, just a GT Grade with 40mm tyres – been years since I was up there last and would never normally consider it but my old man said it got sanitised a while back.  Doable?  I don’t mind walking a bit.

If so, which way round?  Thinking of a loop out from Ulverston up to the Torver end, return via Duddon valley and an (almost) end of ride pint in Foxfield.

martinhutch

I would descend into Coniston, personally. I think more of that will be rideable. There are some rockier loose switchbacks and a couple of small drops, but a lot of the descent is pretty smooth. My recollection of the first half of the climb up from Duddon is that it would be very uncomfortable and a bit stop starty descending on that kind of bike as it is just a series of larger stones cobbles placed a bit randomly to armour the surface. You could drop down towards Stephenson Ground and cross to the forest tracks at Natty Bridge to avoid one of the rougher sections. I think that would involve less walking.

whitestone
    Free Member

It did get sanitised but weather has taken its toll and some bits are as they were especially the zig-zags near the top of the Torver side. Either direction would be doable depending on fitness and skill but there might be bits you’d want to walk if not for technicality then the shards of slate.

Walna Scar is part of this year’s JennRide so you can have a conditions report next week 🙂

bob_summers

Cheers, good to have operatives on the ground!

I’d like to have a crack at it, and not worried about walking sections, though had forgotten about the slate. Better bring tyre boots.

Prefer to bring the Grade as we travel up slowly through France and UK so more options for the stop offs along the way, and it’s no stranger to being pressed into MTB duty.

postierich
    Free Member

Wanna Scar on skinny tyres no thanks

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26b7tPd]30738225_10156437661696474_2192673623146233856_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

wzzzz
    Free Member

PAH!

I used to ride the walna scar road on my fully rigid Orange P7 back in the mid nineties.

That was on 26 x 1.8″ Specialized Cannibals. That equates to a 46mm tyre.

That was long before it was sanitised.

It must have been fun……but then I was a teenager.

sturmeyarcher

I did Duddon to Coniston about 4 years ago on the CX bike with 32mm tyres. I managed to ride no more than 25% of the ascent but enjoyed a clean descent. I was up there again on foot earlier this month. The erosion has made it a bit spicy in parts but most of it’ll go. Enjoy!

bob_summers

Wanna Scar on skinny tyres no thanks

Wouldn’t fancy riding either of those up from Ulverston though Postierich!

I did Duddon to Coniston about 4 years ago

That seems to be the consensus on direction then.  I’ll have to find an end of ride pint somewhere at the other end then

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Zig zags might get a bit tasty but other than that all good. Would second going in by broughton Moor forest, unless you just fancy a spin up the Duddon. Downhill to seathwaite might loosen a few fillings if you’re thinking of going that way.

Wilson’s at torver for a pint

crazy-legs

Did it a few months ago with a mate, both of us on CX. We rode the Coniston to Duddon side which I think was actually the best way. Some bits were hike a bike on the way up but they’d be mostly unrideable on the way down too.

I recall the Duddon side as looking rideable at first glance (going up) but actually being just too long and too steep to ride consistently. Down is fine, it’s not a flat out blast but it’s all doable.

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm, the zig-zags are a bit looser than when I last did it. I wouldn’t fancy going that way on a CX but you’d be pushing no matter what going Coniston-Duddon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Walna Scar Road by gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.