Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wallpapering question
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got lining paper to hang first, and have filled and sanded the walls. Do I need to use sizing before the lining paper? It’s going on to plasterboard that has the backing of the old wallpaper left on (old paper peeled off easily).

Edukator
    Free Member

Sizing was for plaster walls. Plasterboard doesn’t need sizing as it doesn’t absorb so much liquid. If you do anything use a proper wallpaper primer which will assure an even colour, make sure the paper sticks and make it easier to strip one day.

Edit: disclaimer – I prefer fibreglass “renovation” paper with a coat of paint to finish. Really easy to use and last for years with a coat of paint now and then to freshen it up.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Lining paper followed by nice (which is a matter of opinion, mine coming second) wallpaper, not paint. Sorry wasn’t clear!

Edukator
    Free Member

Well what does it say on the lining paper? Most wallpapers suggest using a wallpaper primer, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t unless it’s a “renovation” paper which is designed to cover horrors and goes on with just a thick layer of glue. I assume you’ve bought some big tubs of ready-to-use glue, if not go out and buy a couple. It goes on with a roller, doesn’t run, makes adjusting easier and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

Marin
    Free Member

Size it. Wall paper paste very watered down will do the job. Nothing worse than walls that grab paper. Will cost you pennies and takes hardly any time.

twang
    Free Member

If you’re happy that the old backing paper is well stuck with no bubbles or lifting seams then a medium lining paper with normal paste (not ready mixed!) will be fine – no sizing required

thegreatape
    Free Member

The old paper is a bit furry. Maybe it would better to remove that too?

Edukator
    Free Member

So that’s three suggestions so far and contradictory advice:

1/ proper wall paper primer if anything – read the manufacturer’s instructions

2/ traditional sizing

3/ nothing

I say a tub of ready-made-glue, twang says that runny old stuff you had to make up hours before that got everywhere.

Only on STW eh!

Edukator
    Free Member

The old paper is a bit furry. Maybe it would better to remove that too?

You can try, I predict a lot of gouges unless the paper was put on a proper primer.

twang
    Free Member

Furries ok but bubbles or loose bits arn’t. If it’ll come off the plasterboard face without damaging it then yes get it off.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Only on STW eh!

As ever!

The front/top of the old paper peeled off really easily, the back of it will be a complete ball ache to remove.

What if I sized that? Would that cause any problem?

twang
    Free Member

Wet it with water and see what happens, it may bubble in places, if it does it’ll have to come off really. If its still solid leave it on – sizing not necessary

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok, cheers

Edukator
    Free Member

Seeing so much differing advice I couldn’t resist Googling to see what the professionals say.

I kept a note of the last glue I used it was so good – Profix.

twang
    Free Member

Professional on the internet here too *waves*

scotroutes

Remember to fit the lining paper horizontally.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Knew the horizontal bit.

The back of the old stuff is scraping off really easily once wet, so that seems the way forward.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

a few drops of washing up liquid in your water will speed things up

Marin
    Free Member

Ah missed the backing of old wall paper bit first time round. Soak it and strip it all off then size it. I am a professional too though eating biscuits at the mo’ with waving hand. Decorators tend to agree as much as politicians.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Will do, cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

renovation paper ? is that for when you CBA plastering ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wallpapering question’ is closed to new replies.