• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ffej.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wall paint for dirty/wet bikes
  • prezet
    Free Member

Need some advice on which wall paint to use for hanging bikes up on the wall with?

My bikes are all hung vertically meaning tyres rest against the wall. This is fine normally, but when the bikes are hung up wet the tyres end up sticking to the wall paint and end up pulling bits of paint off when they’re subsequently taken down. Plus the wall gets stained with dirt. Admittedly it’s only a garage wall so I’m not overly precious, but parts of the wall are down to the plaster now and it needs another coat.

So over the break I’m looking to give the wall a fresh coat of paint. Dulux have a few options Easy Care, Kitchen, Bathroom etc… and I’m wondering which would be the best one to go for. Easy Care says it’s water and stain resistant. Has anyone used it, would it do the job?

ton

strip of clear perspex fastened to wall?

Kuco

I painted my bathroom with some waterproof/resistant paint, it was like trying to paint with cold treacle.
    What I do with my bikes is chuck an old bed sheet over them to protect the walls.

nixie

As ton suggests. Will be easier to out something on the wall for the wheel to rest against.

fossy

Clear perspex or a strip of ply.

Raw brick garage here. None of that to worry about.

drnosh
    Free Member

I used a strip of dpc stapled to the wall.

matt_outandabout

Those shower boards or uPVC cladding?
    A couple of nice wood boards on the wall where wheels contact?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Aluminium kick plates for doors.

scotroutes

My garage has ordinary emulsion. The house is 10 years old, we’ve had it for 5 and I’ve had bikes hanging against the wall all that time. There are a few black marks but the paint is sound.

ourmaninthenorth

Ply screwed to the wall and painted to match.

onehundredthidiot

Floor paint?

stompy

As above, epoxy floor paint…

stumpy01

I’d get some aluminium checker plate, or some perspex.

bigyan
    Free Member

I have garage floor paint on my workshop walls, holds up well, waterproof and can be wiped down. (its a “proper” solvent paint, not water based)

ffej
    Free Member

I specify Acrylic Eggshell for walls that may get dirty / wiped down lots. It’s much more expensive than emulsion but way tougher. Or as others have mentioned, plastic cladding (Atro Whiterock – which comes in more than just white) for areas from showers to kitchen splashbacks to the areas under hand driers that always get soaked / minging. It’s a garage though.. so maybe just marine grade ply, left unpainted?

Jeff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wall paint for dirty/wet bikes’ is closed to new replies.