Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wall mounting a TV with hidden cables – Tips please??
  • organic355
    Free Member

So I want to wall mount my current TV (40″ LCD), but I am also thinking about getting a 50″ TV in the near future. I want one of those articulated brackets so i can pull the TV out at an angle when watching it and need some installation tips.

1stly its an outside wall, But plastered so was just going to mount a large sheet of ply to the studs on the wall behind the TV to take the bracket, rather than try and fix the bracket to the block wall behind.(not even sure this is posible?)

secondly i wanted to hide the cables in the wall and was thinking i could just drill a largeish hole behind the TV and another at low level and fish the power and HDMI cable through. But if I am moving the TV in an out all the time This is going to wear on the plaster around the holes? Is there some kind of washer type thing that I can fix at each hole to stop this?

Anyone done this themselves and can offer some advice?

oh and i dint want to have to chip out a channel of plaster , then re-plaster and paint if i didnt have to….

EDIT: I know those brackets dont sit flat, but the TV will be wall mounted within a unit like this, so you wont really see it from the sides:

jota180
    Free Member

But if I am moving the TV in an out all the time This is going to wear on the plaster around the holes? Is there some kind of washer type thing that I can fix at each hole to stop this?

You’d tie the cables to the bracket arm so that they move in relation to the arm not be continually fed though the hole and back again.
    You would need a grommet though to avoid wear on the cables around the hole

br
    Free Member

I’d fix a cable-plate to the wall, and then cable from there.

Like these:

HDMI Wall Plates

Flaperon

If it’s a plastered outside wall, how are you going to feed the cables through?

Get a wall plate that has HDMI etc on it. That way the only thing you’ll wear out is an easily replaceable cable from there to the TV.

Though my advice would be to not mount it on an arm in the first place. It’ll only serve to annoy you.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Why not just put up a false wall 2 inches in front of the current wall, run all the cables in the gap? Only need a small hole at the top then, maybe an access hole at the bottom to get to the plugs.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I fit my sockets directly behind my tv, so i could still gain access from the tilt/ swivel mech and you just coil them up behind and hey presto!!!

Rockape63
    Free Member

When I built my House in 2005, I did just as you describe, have the Sony tv on a Sony (bloody expensive) stainless steel bracket, all inset flush to the wall.

As Treaclesponge has suggested, you need to box out the wall and plaster skim the wall, and the inset section, using beads. I painted the inset matt black, so it disappeared and it has worked very well.

It sits flush when required, but is pulled out to the required angle if you are sitting in various parts of the room.

Oh and sockets behind the tv as well.

Make sure you use the expanding bolts as there is a lot of leverage when the brackets are extended.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if its going to be mounted in a unit like that – why do the cables need to be flush mounted behind the wall ?

robdixon
    Free Member

one of these is great for cutting small grooves in walls to stuff the cables into:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7111112.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:7111112|cat:home+and+garden+%2F+diy+tools+and+power+tools+%2F+diy+power+tools+%2F+multi+purpose+power+tools+%2F

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds big massive wall mounted tv’s a wee bit, well, vulgar?. Possibly.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds big massive wall mounted tv’s a wee bit, well, vulgar?. Possibly.

Definitely…..the tv needs to work with the room size or its extremely vulgar!

Rockape63
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

needs to be at the right height too ….

was at a mates and he mounted his on the wall – about picture height…..

by the end of the night sat on his couch watching the game my god my neck was crippled !

stavromuller
    Free Member

If it’s on an an uninsulated cavity wall, can you not run the cables in that? It’s difficult but not impossible

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’d spend a bitoftime on the avforums website – there’s a section especially for home Installations, you’ll get all the inspiration you’ll need

renton
    Free Member

how about a false wall to mount it on??

use some beams like 2 x 2 and then mdf over that with a hole cut in where you want the tv, drill the mount into the outside wall and then the tv will sit flush against the false wall with all the cables hidden between the false wall and the original wall.

being done loads on av fourms……..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1547693-new-build-removable-false-wall.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1693377-false-chimney-over-existing-chimney-project.html

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

holy christ. building a false wall to watch the box.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wall mounting a TV with hidden cables – Tips please??’ is closed to new replies.