• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wall construction for garden studio / man cave?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I am thinking of building a contemporary man cave in the garden for the drums and the turbo. I’ve seen some nice off the shelf ones, but they are around 8k and I used to be a cabinet maker, so carpentry related jobs are not daunting and I can then build to my size and design.

Just trying to work out the wall construction. I was thinking a 4 * 2 stud construction with outer wood cladding, breathable roofing membrane to stop water ingress, celotex between the studs and then plaster board the inner?

I’m just a bit concerned that said construction could encounter cold bridging and if so what would be a better construction technique to avoid that?

Thanks

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wood is good at avoiding cold bridging.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can put the celotex outside the constructed walls then clad that. It’s a better solution for the roof, creating a ‘warm deck’. You can do the same on the walls (although as wrighty says, it’s not a huge deal). Getting it air tight with controlled ventilation will make a bigger difference, which is easier with external insulation. With celotex between the studs you do need to get the ventilation right

flanagaj
    Free Member

Getting it air tight with controlled ventilation will make a bigger difference, which is easier with external insulation. With celotex between the studs you do need to get the ventilation right

Can you elaborate where and what type of ventilation you would go for. Obviously, a stud wall is not ventilated and with a flat roof structure sitting oi top there is no cavity breathing up into said roof space?

mikey74
    Free Member

Make sure you put a poly vapour barrier on the inside of the walls. This is especially important if you put rigid insulation on the outside of the studs.

Also, make sure you seal all points where the vapour barrier is punctured I.e. wall fixings.

bigginge

Have a look at the guide for “shed” building in the link below (you may need to sign up/in to see the pictures), it’s pretty thorough and well regarded.

If you’re after a variant that doesn’t need any proper foundations there is another sticky thread in the same forum page that should be more useful (2nd link).

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/build-a-shed-mike-s-way-t39389.html

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/build-a-shed-mike-s-way-without-concrete-t111965.html

wrightyson
    Free Member

One area where my shed/pub suffers is condensation on the floor. I had it made and delivered as I was getting the usual “builder never gets anything done at home” comments and I couldn’t insulate the floor without raising it. It will condense under the sofa if there is a lot of us in there with the heating on, so I purchased a dehumidifier to combat this.

_tom_
    Free Member

If it for drums and you want to remain friendly with your neighbours and family you’ll need to do some proper soundproofing and ventilation otherwise it’s just half a job and you’ll end up regretting it. My work colleague built a studio in his garden with wooden construction and it’s incredible- wanted to do it myself til he went through the costs and what went into it! You really need to build a 2nd interior wall and floor lined with rockwool insulation to decouple the exterior walls, put in double windows and doors etc. Even then there’s still a bit of sound leaking at his place, but I’m still super jealous of it!

sargey

I built my shed out of sips panels.
    Strong and fully insulated with no worries about cold bridging.

DT78
    Free Member

bookmarking as interested for a future project

Richie_B

If you have neighbours you might want to think about using a heavier weight insulation which will give sound insulation as well as thermal insulation if you are intending playing your drums in there.

surfer
    Free Member

I dont know what cold bridging is (or “contemporary” in this context) but I built one last year using a similar method and its still up….

Summer House

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll have a peruse of the links you mention and the take the points on board.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Make sure you put a poly vapour barrier on the inside of the walls. This is especially important if you put rigid insulation on the outside of the studs.

I thought you weren’t supposed to do that with rigid insulation. Most foam is either faced, or is thick enough to be as impermeable as a vapour barrier. If you put one on the inside and one on the outside, the wall can’t breath.

Ewan
    Free Member

This is a great book – normally recommended on the uk workshop threads:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/185486131X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_TP2EDbYA8KBAV

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wall construction for garden studio / man cave?’ is closed to new replies.