Walks around Langdale…

Home Forum Chat Forum Walks around Langdale…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Walks around Langdale…
  • peterfile

I blasted up Jack’s Rake last month which is a very enjoyable and easy scramble, taking you up to the Langdale Pikes, which then lets you go for a nice long walk at high level, without having to do much more ascending.

Great day out!

This is pretty much our route, but i think we stayed up higher for longer by taking in all the peaks in the centre of the route.

BFITH

mmm..not sure the wife would thank me for taking her up Jacks Rake… 🙂

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

+1 for Jack’s Rake, great little bimble.

Was going to suggest Pavey Ark/Langdale Pikes too.
    Another good route is up The Band, Right to Bowfell then double back along Crinkle Crags and back down the valley to Dungeon Ghyll, I think there is only one really tricky section called the “bad step” at the end of crinkle crags which involves much leg stretching & rock handling.

BFITH

Was thinking of bowfell and crinkle crags myself…possibly incorporating pike o blisco too (might be a bit long though)

rascal

Wetherlam sits right above LL – meant to be good.
    The Pikes are in Great Langdale which in parallel with LL but not far away.
    Jack’s Rake on Pavey Ark is technically easy (Grade 1) but a very exposed section gets the old twitcher going (top third from memory?).
    Get the bus from Elterwater to Old Dungeon Ghyll and do Bowfell via the Climbers Traverse and the Great Slab. Down via Ore Gap past Angle Tarn and Rossett Gill to the pub. Bus back to The Britannia at Elterwater. Top day out (if weather good that is).
    Crinkle Crags is a decent walk but would recommend good weather as easy to get lost in mist.

peterfile

mmm..not sure the wife would thank me for taking her up Jacks Rake…

It’s fine, honestly. We did it quickly in the wet (I was wearing some winter climbing boots too!) and although there are some proper “scrambly” bits, you’re hemmed in on both sides so there is rarely any real exposure. BUT (and this is a big but if it matters to you), there are one or two sections that most definitely are exposed and you can’t fall on. You’d have to be terribly unlucky to fall there, but it might spook some people who aren’t used to any exposure. You could always take a short confidence rope in case she gets worried?

It’s a great beginners scramble IMO.

rascal

Generally agree with peterfile…it’s mostly fine as you’re hemmed in but I think it’s VERY easy to fall at THAT bit…several have come a cropper there unfortunately 😥

mmm..not sure the wife would thank me for taking her up Jacks Rake..

…is that a euphemism?

BFITH

It’s a great beginners scramble IMO.

May suggest it when we get the maps out tonight…It’ll look a lot flatter on paper 😉

peterfile

Generally agree with peterfile…it’s mostly fine as you’re hemmed in but I think it’s VERY easy to fall at THAT bit…several have come a cropper there unfortunately

I know the bit you’re referring to. From memory, i’d say that it would be easy to fall off if you tripped on the way into the obstacle. But once you’re actually on the obstacle a slip wouldn’t see you plummet off the mountain? Maybe I was just telling myself that 🙂

Regardless, it’s definitely a serious part of an otherwise easy route

May suggest it when we get the maps out tonight…It’ll look a lot flatter on paper

Don’t read too much into any photos you find online. I think because it’s a well trodden easy route, many people try to jazz up their shots to make it seem more extreme. I was looking at photos when I got back home and thought they must have been from a different route!

The majority of the route is like this:

This however, makes it look far more exposed than it actually is:

BFITH

Don’t think I’ll show her that photo!!^^^

peterfile

That’s what I mean though! It’s like it’s a different route, totally unrecognisable from my experience on the route.

With very few exceptions, you’re hemmed in on both sides. I was just worried you’d do what I do when trying to convince mrs PF that a route is good… and look up a few shots on google images

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Here’s a better exposure photo on Jack’s Rake:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dT1TjF]JULIUS ON JACKS RAKE[/url] by brf, on Flickr

JonEdwards

My SO did Jacks as her first scramble. I think there were a few twitchy bum moments for her, but she made it, no worries.

The couple taking a dog up there were struggling a bit more. Poor animal really wasn’t sold on the idea, although I think it got there in the end.

dan1980

It’s a bit of a trek, but the walk following the cumbrian way to Stake Pass, then coming back via Angle Tarn, and down Rossett Gill (or further round to Esk Haus and down the band) The view down Borrowdale is lovely.

Depending on how short you want the 2nd day, a bimble around Tarn Hows is rather nice.

BFITH

Off up to t’lakes this evening with Mrs BF. Staying in Little Langdale. Got a couple days walking ahead of us. Would like to do a longish one tomorrow (8-10 miles) and maybe a shorter one on Friday. Any recommendations?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Walks around Langdale…’ is closed to new replies.