Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Walking with kids around Snowdon this weekend
  • jkomo

Three adults, three 12yr olds.
    We walked to the summit a couple of summers ago, so don’t need to get to the top.
    So what walk would you do if the weather is too bad to go high?
    Has anyone got a ‘you’ve got to do this’ walk.
    We are staying at the YMCA so have from about 11.00 till dark.
    Pub stops welcome.
    Cheers

If you are driving there are many more options?

Cnicht is a great little walk, and from the south looks like the matterhorn as you approach 🙂 , but nothing too strenuous and some nice views on a good day.

Tryfan is amazing if you have good scrambling ability and a head for heights, but if its icy or snowy, probably best left until good weather. What about parking in the Ogwen Valley and walking up the Devils kitchen? Lovely rocky amphitheatre and not too high if the weathers bad. If the weather is good and you feel okay you can carry on up Glyder Fawr, which is like a moonscape!

Snowdon itself has many routes, pyg track and miners track from Pen y Pass are okay and you can loop from one to the other without heading to the summit. I wouldn’t bother with the Llanberis path, as it is boring and probably crowded. Watkin path is great but long.

Moel Hebog, Moel Siabod, both nice smaller peaks. The Nantlle ridge is also very nice lower level walk from Rhyd Du.

It goes without saying that you need the right gear and map and compass for most of the above routes, and a knowledge of how to use them.

jkomo

Cheers, I’ll have a look.
    Big views I suppose are what we want.

mark90
    Free Member

Nantlle ridge has good views (if it’s clear) and you can drop down and come back through the quarry/mine workings for some interest and exploration – exercise sensible caution, big holes, some are barriered and signed but it’s still old workings.

jkomo

Weather is looking good, so we’ll try the Pyg, then down to Llanberis.

ElShalimo

There was a fair bit of snow up there last week, if the temp drops that’ll turn into ice very quickly.

Nantlle ridge is great walk. The views are outstanding.
    Moel Eilio ridge walk is a good option too.

If the weather is not that great the coast usually has better conditions. There’s a nice walk up Yr Eifl and the smaller neighbouring summits that make up “the fork”. Plus there is a huge Iron Age hill fort up there

jkomo

Cheers

jkomo

Well, the weather was incredible, not a cloud all day. Started at about eleven, got up the Pyg without any dramas, what a great route, had to be pretty careful at the top but it was fine. We were pretty down to base layers until we reached the shade of Snowdon, and then gradually layered up as we got higher.
    There were only about eight people at the top (it was a Friday), and we had a few snacks and headed down. One of the blokes in our party took the boys down the Llanberis path while me and a mate went at speed down the Miners.
    We then drove round and picked them up at the end of their route and went straight to the Youth Hostel.
    All in, a great trip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Walking with kids around Snowdon this weekend’ is closed to new replies.